How to Sue Fortnite — And Win!
With over 125 million users worldwide, Fortnite Battle Royale is successful because it is absolutely free and cross-platform; users can access it from a variety of applications and compete against players using different technology. Furthermore, games like Fortnite play a large role in propelling the multi-million dollar E-Gaming industry, often at the expense of vulnerable young minds.
In 2019, a Canadian law firm announced it was suing Fortnite because of two young and addicted clients. Specifically, the clients’ parents claimed the psychological nature of the game resulted in addiction and even long-term mental health issues. Unfortunately, the issues related to playing a multi-million dollar game intended to ‘hook’ its audience are common.
As a result, lawsuits against Fortnite’s parent company, Epic Games, have become extremely common, especially in small claims court. Typically, most lawsuits are filed in small claims court, a specialized branch of the legal system that helps individuals file claims without legal representation, resolving disputes quickly in a cost-friendly manner.
Below, you’ll find an easy guide on how you can sue Fornite for damages — and WIN!
Can You Sue Fortnite?
When can you sue Fortnite? The table below outlines reasons that you may be eligible for compensation:
|Unauthorized Changes to The Game||Fortnite unexpectedly changes an aspect of the game that you’ve paid for or purchased with an add on. For example, you pay for an add-on package and Fortnite automatically cancels that package’s existence. This means that you paid for a service that does not exist.|
|Unapproved and Unrefunded Charges||You have been overcharged and have not received recompensation. Not refunding an individual in a timely fashion is also reasonable grounds to sue. For instance, you purchased an add-on and you were double charged.|
|Banning or Suspension||Fortnite unfairly banned or suspended your account for an extended period of time, causing you to incur monetary/emotional damages. For example, you have a successful Fortnite account that you earn money from and it was suspended and/or banned permanently, causing a loss.|
|Addiction-Related Damages||For example, you’ve experienced video game addiction as a result of Fortnite, causing a loss of productivity and therapy costs.|
How to Sue Fortnite — A Guide
Follow these three steps to sue Fortnite. Please recognize that often these steps are expensive and time-consuming for the average civilian. Often, suits that are led without the instruction of a legal advisor or automation are unsuccessful.
- File A Verified Complaint – Before doing this, speak to a verified company representative to discuss alternate methods of dispute resolution — Fortnite might want to retain its customers and might try to fix the issue outside of court. Consider what claim you have, what evidence supports this claim and how this claim can be substantiated.
- File a Civil Summons – This is typically a letter that details the repeated attempts to reconcile with Fortnite, and threatens to take legal action if-needed. Furthermore, the letter should also outline why you are suing Fortnite and the necessary evidence you have to support your claim.
- Serve the Defendant – You need to serve Fortnite with advance notice, prepare your case, respond to motions and subpoena witnesses.
What are the Risks of Suing Fortnite By Yourself?
Consider the reality of your suit and the trouble it might be to navigate suing a corporation on your own. Although small claims without legal representation are common, winning small claims without legal representation are not.
As a solution to this, DoNotPay provides an automated lawsuit generator, with technology that condenses the suing process and does all of the complex legal work for you!
Sue Fortnite The Easy Way With DoNotPay
DoNotPay is the perfect way to successfully file a small-claims suit that will be in a simple way! All you have to do is:
- First, log on to DoNotPay on any web browser and select “Sue Now”
- Then, enter the dollar amount that you are owed (this could be lost wages or even adequate compensation to cover injuries and medical bills)
- Select whether you’d like to receive a demand letter or court filing forms
- Finally, describe your reason for filing the lawsuit, and submit any additional details (including your photo evidence)
That’s all! DoNotPay will generate a demand letter or court filing forms for you, and a copy of your demand letter will be mailed to Fortnite!
Who Else Has DoNotPay Helped Sue?
DoNotPay has a track record of helping people sue big corporations or their next-door neighbors. Some of the companies we have helped sue include: