How to Obtain a Suffolk County Certificate of Divorce With Ease
Due to the high divorce levels, divorce processes have become more streamlined and cost-efficient in many states, especially if the divorce is uncontested. On the flip side, despite such an easy process, acquiring a copy of the divorce certificate isn't easy.
If you are looking for a Suffolk County certificate of divorce, you have to trace it back to the County Clerk, where the divorce was heard and officiated. DoNotPay can help you request a copy of your divorce certificate in Suffolk County without a lengthy and tiring process. Read below to understand how to get a divorce certificate in Suffolk County, NY.
Difference Between Divorce Certificates and Divorce Decrees
A divorce decree also known as divorce judgment or judgment of dissolution(JOD) is a court order terminating a marriage officially. The divorce decree establishes the court's final orders regarding divorce issues, including child custody, property division, and support.
On the other hand, a divorce certificate is an official document provided by the office in charge of keeping vital state records containing basic identifying information for both spouses, place, and date of the divorce.
Who Can Get a Divorce Certificate in Suffolk County?
Individuals eligible to get a copy of a Suffolk County Certificate of divorce include:
- Either spouse is looking for proof of marriage dissolution for other official purposes.
- A party with a New York state court order.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy in Suffolk County?
The cost of ordering a copy of divorce certificates in Suffolk County depends on the order type. If you make an online or phone order, you will pay a $45 plus $8 vendor processing fee per transaction. If you order via mail, you will pay a $30 fee. For walk-in orders, you will have to pay $45. Unfortunately, walk-in orders are suspended temporarily.
What Documents Do You Need to Get a Copy of a Divorce Certificate in Suffolk County?
Before ordering a copy of a Suffolk County divorce certificate, ensure you submit a copy of:
- One of the following valid photo ID forms:
- Driver's license
- US military-issue photo ID
- State-issued, non-driver, photo-ID card.
- Two of the following showing your name and address:
- A government letter agency dated within the last six months
- Utility/ telephone bill.
If you are applying for a copy of a divorce certificate from a foreign country requiring a passport to travel, ensure you submit a copy of your US passport besides any of the above ID.
How to Get a Divorce Certificate Copy by Yourself
There are three ways you can order a divorce certificate and these are:
|Obtain Via Phone||Call the Suffolk County Clerk's office at 631-852-2000 to order a copy of your divorce certificate.|
|Obtain Via Mail||Print and complete the application form, then mail it to:
New York State Department of Health
Vital Records Certification Unit
PO Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220-2602
|Obtain Copy Online||Access VitalChek to order your Suffolk divorce certificate online.|
Applying for a copy of a Suffolk County divorce certificate by yourself isn't exactly an easy process. The steps may be complicated for first-timers and time-consuming. Fortunately, DoNotPay can help you with your application fast.
Get a Divorce Certificate in Suffolk County With DoNotPay
DoNotPay is the perfect solution for individuals ordering their Suffolk County divorce certificates without hassle. If you want to get a copy of your divorce certificate in Suffolk County, follow these simple steps:
1. Go to the Certificates of Divorce product on DoNotPay.
2. Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.*Please note: some states only allow people named on the certificate to apply.
3. Enter the city, state, and county where the divorce certificate and original divorce certificate were issued as well as the dates they were issued.
4. Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
5. Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
6. Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
7. If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail in your request form with a check on your behalf.
What Other Divorce Certificate Services Can DoNotPay Provide?
DoNotPay can help you get a divorce certificate from any state or county. Besides Suffolk County, DoNotPay can help you to:
- Get a divorce certificate in Texas.
- Get a divorce certificate in Arkansas.
- Order a divorce certificate in Nevada.
- Get a divorce certificate in California.
- Get a divorce certificate in New York.
- Order a divorce certificate in Florida.
How Else Can DoNotPay Help?
Besides ordering divorce certificate copies, DoNotPay can also assist you to:
- Solve credit card challenges.
- Handle divorce settlement agreements.
- Find unclaimed money.
- File insurance claims on your behalf.
- Notarize any document.
- Put an end to stalking and harassment.
- Sue in a small claims court.
Reach out to DoNotPay to order your Suffolk County divorce certificate copies fast.