What You Didn’t Know About The STAR Rebate Program
Many companies provide rebates on products or services to attract customers. Many utility companies and government agencies provide rebates and relief programs for energy efficiency upgrades or other aspects of homeownership. Rebates and cash back programs can be very helpful for homeowners. Finding ways to save money is important, so if you are interested in applying for the STAR rebate program, DoNotPay can help.
STAR Rebate Program Overview
The School Tax Relief (STAR) program, and the Enhanced School Tax Relief (E-STAR) program is a property tax relief program for New York State homeowners. Eligible homeowners can apply for STAR through the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance and will be issued a credit in the form of a check. Enhanced STAR is for residents who will be 65 or older when they apply.
|Type of Star||Benefits|
Who is Eligible for the NYS STAR Rebate?
If you are a homeowner in New York state and it is your primary residence, you are eligible for STAR.
Register for STAR Credit
You should register if you are a new homeowner, as soon as your home becomes your primary residence, or if you do not already receive a STAR exemption or credit. If you are receiving the STAR exemption, you can elect to switch to the STAR credit. If you are a manufactured homeowner and receive a letter that you must register for the STAR credit to continue receiving STAR benefits, you should register.
Update Your Registration
You should update your registration if you receive a notification stating you must update your registration. You should also update your registration if your property ownership has changed for reasons including:
- surrender of interest by co-owner
- life estate
- name change
Apply for the STAR Rebate
You will need to apply for the STAR Rebate through the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
- Go to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website page entitled Register for the STAR Credit
- Read through the information to verify eligibility/program information
- You will need the following information:
- Name and SSN for all property owners and spouses
- name of the school district where your primary residence is located
- date of property purchase and name of sellers (not required but can expedite registration process)
- most recent school tax bill if received
- address(es) of any residential property owned in other states
- the legal name of the trust, if applicable
- recent federal or state income tax returns for all owners (for individuals not required to file tax returns in the previous year, you will be required to provide a variety of additional information related to your income)
- Click Get Started
- Follow all prompts to register for the program
- Print a copy of your confirmation page or note all pertinent information, including your confirmation number. You will use it for verification if necessary.
DoNotPay Can File Rebates on Your Behalf
While the STAR Rebate program is not a traditional rebate that comes to mind, such as when you get cashback for a product or service, DoNotPay recognizes it is important to know how to save money in every way possible.
One of the ways DoNotPay helps you save money is through our rebate services. Don't let your hard-earned money go unclaimed when it could be claimed and back in your pocket! We know it can be tedious to fill out long forms or to try to remember to mail everything in before the deadline or to create more online accounts. DoNotPay can file rebate claims on your behalf and save you time and headache.
We can help you submit rebates for used electric car programs or new car rebates, as well as tires or vehicle accessories. We can help with energy efficiency upgrade rebates. Whether you want to claim a cell phone rebate or file a rebate for department stores, home improvement stores, or for any product or company.
Here’s how it works:
- Search rebates on DoNotPay and select the type of rebates offer you want to claim (is it for a car, electronic gadget, household appliance, etc).
- Tell us more about the purchase, including the product name, brand, serial number (if relevant), and whether you bought it online or in-person.
- Select whether the rebate is online or mail-in. Upload your evidence documents, including receipts, and any necessary forms, and confirm your contact information.
And that's it! DoNotPay will file your rebate claim on your behalf by mail or online depending on the rebate campaign.
Save More with DoNotPay
In addition to helping you file rebates, DoNotPay can help you save money in other ways:
- Learn how to Reduce Property Taxes
- Learn how to Lower Your Bills
- Learn how to Get Risk-Free Trials
- Learn how to Find Unclaimed Money
- Learn how to Find Scholarships
- Learn how to Get Free Hotel Upgrades
- Learn how to get Free Fast Food
DoNotPay is here to save you money, time and stress!