The STAR Property Tax Exemption Explained
If you are a homeowner, you are already familiar with the amount of money you have to set aside each year to pay property taxes. In case you can’t afford this cost, you should look for help to pay your property taxes. The STAR property tax exemption is one such tax relief program. DoNotPay can explain how it works and help you find out whether you are eligible for other property tax exemptions!
What You Should Know About the STAR Property Tax Reduction
The School Tax Relief (STAR) program provides property tax relief to homeowners living in New York State who meet certain requirements. If you live in an NY school district, you have the right to apply to this program. You also need to own and reside in one of these types of properties:
- Manufactured home
- Mixed-use property
- Apartment building (only the part where the owner lives)
- Cooperative apartment
If you meet the STAR requirements and are a part of the program, you’ll get your benefit annually in one of these ways:
- STAR credit check—The Tax Department will send you a STAR check via mail yearly. You can use the check to pay your school taxes. It is necessary that you own a home and have an income of $500,00 or less (owner and their spouse together)
- STAR exemption—this is a reduction on your school tax bill. You need to have been already receiving the STAR exemption since 2015 to be eligible for the exemption now. New homeowners can’t get the STAR exemption
Types of NY State STAR Property Tax Exemptions
No matter whether you get the STAR credit or exemption, you can choose between two types of STAR benefits:
- Basic STAR
- Enhanced STAR
Take a look at the table below to find out the requirements for these benefits:
|Type of STAR Benefit||Age||Income||Ownership|
These benefits apply only to school district taxes. You may not get them for city, town, or county taxes. The exemption applies for schools and city taxes for:
- New York
Other New York Property Tax Exemptions in Addition to STAR
You should know that senior citizens in NY who receive STAR and are at least 65 also have the right to apply for the separate senior citizens exemption. Here are all the other property tax exemptions in New York that are not connected to STAR:
- Veterans exemption—Must have proof that you were discharged or released from service under honorable conditions
- Exemption for people with disabilities—Must provide some evidence of their disability
- Agricultural properties related exemption—The farmland must meet gross sales and acreage eligibility requirements
Not Sure if You Meet NY Property Tax Exemption Criteria? Ask DoNotPay!
Figuring out if you can apply for a property tax exemption in New York is not simple. You don’t have to deal with this process on your own—use DoNotPay. With a few clicks, you’ll get your answer. Follow these steps:
- Open DoNotPay in a web browser
- Find and choose the Property Tax feature
- Answer a few questions about yourself and the property you own
We can also guide you through the process of gathering the documents you need and submitting applications.
DoNotPay also knows what the states with low property taxes are. In case you are pondering about moving and buying a house in one of these states, you might consider:
Appeal Your Past Property Tax Assessments With DoNotPay
We’ll aid you with gathering the evidence that can help you lower your property taxes. Your virtual assistant will offer you some tips for negotiating with the property tax assessor as well.
What Else Can You Do To Lower Your Property Taxes in New York?
Looking for property exemptions and filing appeals are the most secure options for lowering your property taxes. If you want to further enhance your chances of reducing these expenses, you can try one of these methods:
- Search for inaccuracies on your tax bill
- Not renovate your property before the assessment of your house
- Follow the assessor while they are making an evaluation of your property to endure they are making a fair assessment
Keep Your Money in Your Pocket and Save Time
Fend Off Scammers With DoNotPay’s Help
Are you sick of having a cluttered inbox or getting robocalls? So are the majority of Americans. If you want to get rid of email spam, text message spam, or annoying robocalls, DoNotPay can help you put a stop to them once and for all.