How to Access Your St. Elizabeth Medical Records
As an American citizen, you can consider yourself lucky to have rights. It includes the right to vote, the right to practice any religion, and the right to free speech and expression. But have you exercised your right to access your medical records maintained by your healthcare provider? Your records are legally protected under the HIPAA Privacy Rule, which also gives you the right to access your health information at any time. Unfortunately, the process of requesting these records can be frustratingly difficult.
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is a large medical facility and teaching hospital serving communities in Boston, Massachusetts. If you received care from St. Elizabeth's and need to access medical records currently being held there but don't know how to begin, you've come to the right place. DoNotPay is an invaluable resource that can help you obtain your and more with the click of a button.
What Is HIPAA and Why Is It Important?
The term commonly known as HIPAA stands for the "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act" and is an important piece of legislation passed in 1996. HIPAA was designed to protect patients by making everyone's health data more secure in the following ways:
- Implemented national standards for keeping health records
- Guaranteed privacy of health information
- Reduced healthcare fraud and abuse
- Eliminated health insurance denial due to pre-existing conditions
Before HIPAA, there were no safeguards in place protecting an individual's health information—and no real consequences for violating patient privacy. HIPAA is important because it ensures your hospitals and healthcare providers are handling your documents securely. It guarantees you a right to request to access your and to only disclose them at your discretion.
How Do I Request Medical Records From St. Elizabeth's Medical Center?
As a St. Elizabeth's patient requesting the release of medical records, you will be required to authorize and sign a medical records release form. It also applies to the legal representative of a patient who is a child or person with a guardian. Massachusetts State law requires the request for the release of Protected Health Information (PHI) to be submitted in writing, so there is no way for patients of St. Elizabeth's to request their info electronically or by phone.
Here's how to submit your request for St. Elizabeth medical records:
- Download a PDF copy of St. Elizabeth's Authorization to Use and Disclose Protected Health Information form. You can find this online.
- Print the form and fill it out carefully, making sure to complete all fields, including:
- Patient Name and Contact
- The person or facility Information is to be disclosed to
- Treatment Dates
- Specific Records/Reports To Be Released
- Signatures for Release of Restricted Information (if applicable)
- Exclusion Request (if applicable)
- Purpose of Disclosure
- Terms for Length of Authorization
- Signature of Patient or Representative confirming all content
- Seal your request letter in an envelope, affix the necessary postage, and mail it to:
- Elizabeth's Medical Center Medical Records Department/Correspondence 736 Cambridge St. Boston, MA 02135
- Allow 30 days for a response. Be advised that you may be billed with a fee.
How to Get DoNotPay to Request Your St. Elizabeth Medical Records for You
If you've ever had trouble navigating the complicated world of health care or understanding the intricacies of laws like HIPAA, you're not alone. Requesting medical records from your previous or current health care provider can be a difficult process with lots of hoops to jump through. Luckily, DoNotPay knows how to handle these types of medical problems and is here to do the work for you. The next time you need to retrieve sensitive PHI, why not let DoNotPay contact your provider on your behalf?
Here's how easy it is to get your legally guaranteed health records with the help of DoNotPay:
- Look up medical records on DoNotPay’s website.
- Enter the name of the health care provider you’d like to receive medical records from.
- Answer a few questions about your provider and where you’d like to send the records.
You'll be happy to know that DoNotPay has the expertise and wide-reaching power to submit requests to nearly any healthcare provider or hospital in the U.S. You can rest easy knowing we've got your back when you need to access your health information, no matter where you live. Wouldn't it be nice to get help from DoNotPay in other ways?
DoNotPay Can Help You in Hundreds of Other Ways
Aside from St. Elizabeth medical records, we can also assist you with the following inquiries:
From understanding health care privacy laws to tackling major legal problems, DoNotPay is designed to make your life easier in a hundred different ways. We can work with major companies, local municipalities, and social groups across the country to help you resolve any issue you can think of. Are you curious to know what else DoNotPay can do? Here are just a few of our other outstanding products and invaluable resources:
- Notarize Any Document
- Apply for Birth Certificates
- Appeal Parking Tickets in Any City
- Car Registration Renewal
- Request Sick Leave
- File a Complaint
- Advance Healthcare Directive
- Help with Bills
Become a customer today and step into a world where you always get what you deserve!