How to Get a Certified South Carolina Marriage Certificate Copy
Getting a hold of vital records can feel like a hassle. But trying to obtain a South Carolina marriage certificate can be incredibly overwhelming. There are a variety of steps involved in getting a marriage certificate. But DoNotPay is here to make it simple for you. Today we're going to answer some questions about obtaining a South Carolina marriage certificate and why you should use the DoNotPay Marriage Certificate product to easily get the documents you need.
How to Get a South Carolina Marriage Certificate Online
There are five different methods available for you to request a copy of a South Carolina marriage certificate. Marriage records are available between the dates of July 1950 and December 2020. If you need a marriage certificate before July 1950 or after December 2020, you can contact the Probate Court in the location where your marriage license was originally issued. The five methods to obtain your marriage certificate include online, by phone, in person, by mail, or by drop-off. We're going to discuss the common ways to get your marriage certificate on your own in South Carolina.
Online or by Phone
You can order a copy of a marriage certificate either online or by phone using VitalChek. To get access to records, you can call 1-877-284-1008 or use their website. It's important to note that only those on the marriage certificate, adult children, or current and former spouses can order a certificate through VitalChek. You can expect your certificate to be processed within 5-7 business days.
Here is what will be needed from you.
- A $17 non-refundable fee
- A $10.50 fee for the use of VitalChek's services
- Shipping fees if the marriage certificate is being sent by UPS
- The person named on the marriage certificate, their adult children, or current or former spouse
If you quickly need a marriage certificate, you can also obtain it in person. Processing time is around 30-45 minutes, on average. You will need the following:
- Complete application
- A $12 non-refundable fee
- $3 per additional copy that you need
- A valid government, school, or employer-issued ID
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|South Carolina Vital Records||2600 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201
|First Copy: $17.00
Additional Copies: $3.00
Who Can Obtain a South Carolina Marriage Certificate?
It's important to know who can get a marriage certificate before starting the process. You can get a copy of a certificate if:
- You are one of the people married on the certificate.
- You are an adult child of one of the married individuals.
- You are a current or former spouse of one of the married individuals.
- You are the legal representative of the married party.
Checking the Status of Your South Carolina Marriage Certificate
You should receive a response to your marriage certificate within 30 days. In case there is a delay, you can call 803-898-3630. You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get an update on your application.
Is There an Easier Way to Request Your Marriage Certificate?
At DoNotPay, we make requesting documents easy for you. If you don't want to go through all of the steps on your own, let us help. With DoNotPay, you can request copies of certified, US Government-issued birth certificates, marriage certificates, and more. Having copies of your marriage certificate is important because it is used for a variety of things, such as legally changing your last name to your spouse, filing your taxes, sharing health benefits, applying for loans and mortgages, and more.
Through our , you can get a certified copy of a marriage certificate sent straight to your home right from your laptop. All you'll need to do is answer a few pertinent questions to help us locate your certificate. We'll also verify your identity before providing you with a complete request form.
Here's how it works:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate, and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
And that's it! Your marriage certificate copy request will be sent and on its way! You should hear back from them within a few weeks with updates once your request has been processed.
Do you want to simplify the process of requesting your important documents? Then use DoNotPay to request everything you need right from the comfort of your home. Trying to obtain documents, such as a marriage certificate, isn't just time-consuming, but it can become a costly endeavor.
By using DoNotPay's Certificate of Marriage product, you can easily get a copy of your marriage certificate, fast, easy, and without hassle. to get started today!