How to Apply for Sioux Falls Building Permits
When homeowners want to make changes to their homes and property, it is easy to just start tackling the project and move forward. Unfortunately, that can get you in a lot of trouble if you do not have a building permit. Building permits are issued by the city of Sioux Falls and require approval from the chief building inspector before they can be approved and the project completed.
When you get a , you are staying compliant with your local laws, allowing the building services department to ensure that your property is safe and up to code. If you are not comfortable tackling this tedious process on your own, DoNotPay can do the heavy lifting so that your application gets approved and you can get your project underway.
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Sioux Falls?
is required when you are taking on projects such as the following:
- Finishing a basement or lower level in your home
- Making additional rooms to your home
- Remodeling floors that affect the plumbing and electrical in your home
- Building a deck or porch on your home
- Replacing windows and exterior doors on your home
- Adding new shingles or new siding to your home.
- Building storage buildings on your property
- Adding a carport, fence, or driveway to your property
These are some of the most common building projects in Sioux Falls and they do require a building permit before construction can begin.
How to Get a Building Permit in Sioux Falls on Your Own?
If you want to get a building permit in Sioux Falls on your own, you will need to complete the following steps below:
- Call the Building Services office at 367-8670 to see what documentation is needed before you file the application. Not all projects are the same, and some requirements for the different building projects vary. You may find yourself having to wait for a callback or needing them to come out and look at your property before you can move forward.
- Collect the necessary documentation. Before you can apply for a building permit, you will need to bring site plans, foundation plans, and floor plans based on the type of project for the building inspector to review before approving the project.
- Contact contractors for your project if necessary. Any time there is going to be plumbing, electrical, or even mechanical tasks needed, you want to have a contractor do this since they can get one permit for these components of the project.
- If you are planning to do the work yourself, be prepared to make multiple permit applications for electrical, mechanical, and plumbing if related to the building.
- Complete the building permit application in person at the Building Services office. Make sure to list any contractors that you plan to use for the project so that they can check for their licensing and permits working in Sioux Falls.
- Wait to hear from the building inspector and get their plan approval. If the plan is not approved, you will need to meet again with your contractor to revise the plans as requested by the building inspector.
- Resubmit any plan changes and gain approval.
- Once the permit is approved, you will need to pay the overall balance of the building permit.
Trying to do this process on your own is tedious, especially when you have to look up and make sure your contractor is properly licensed to perform the work in Sioux Falls.
What Fees Are Associated With Getting a Permit?
Not all building permits have the same cost in Sioux Falls. Depending on the project and how much value it will add to the property once complete, that will determine the cost of your building permit. Below is the fee schedule for property valuation and what you can ballpark for your building permit, and there is a $20 minimum cost with each building permit in Sioux Falls.
|$1 - $1,100||$20|
|$1,100 - $2,000||$10 additional plus $1.50 for every $100 valuation|
|$2,001 - $25,000||$32.50 additional plus $6 for each additional $1000 valuation|
|$25,001 - $50,000||$170.50 additional plus $4.50 for each additional $1000 valuation|
|$50,001 - $100,000||$283 additional plus $3.00 for each additional $1000 valuation|
|$100,001+||$433 additional plus $2.50 for each additional $1000 valuation|
Next Steps for Getting a Sioux Falls Building Permit When You Can't Do It on Your Own
If you have tried to apply for a building permit, but have not been successful on your own, you do have another option. With DoNotPay, they have the ability to link directly to the government site and request a building permit with your application.
Get Your Building Permit in Sioux Falls With DoNotPay
If you want to get a building permit easily in Sioux Falls but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered. Create your own application in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
DoNotPay Works Across All City and State Government Agencies With the Click of a Button
DoNotPay is here to help if you have a property in another town or county and need to file a building permit:
- Palm Beach building permit
- Los Angeles building permit
- Chicago building permit
- Sarasota County building permit
- And many more!
They have the ability to access all government agencies and streamline this process for you.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
In addition to assisting with a building permit, DoNotPay can help you with other related property tasks that you may need:
- File an insurance claim
- Reduce your property taxes
- Get a notary for your legal documentation
DoNotPay wants to take the stress out of these tasks and make them successful for you.