A Guide to Los Angeles Paid Sick Leave
Are you confused about the Los Angeles paid sick leave?
It’s a complicated topic—this type of legislation is different from city to city and state to state. Understanding what you’re entitled to and how to use it will allow you to avoid being sick at work.
This article will cover the basics of the three different sick leave ordinances that may apply to you. If you’re confident in your eligibility but aren’t sure how to make the request, DoNotPay will help. Our app streamlines the process of drafting a detailed sick leave request letter.
The good news is that you’re almost certainly eligible for sick leave of some kind. This is not a given—millions of Americans lack coverage.
Your employer must give you at least 48 hours of sick leave every year. L.A. sick leave law allows the following uses of earned sick days:
- Recovery from a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition
- Care for a family member recovering from one of the above conditions
- Recovery or legal action concerning an incident of domestic violence or a sexual offense
- Closure of your workplace or your child’s care institution due to a health emergency
Different types of paid sick leave for which you may be eligible are the following:
- L.A. permanent paid sick leave
- L.A. COVID-19 supplemental paid sick leave
- California COVID-19 supplemental paid sick leave
To qualify for the standard Los Angeles paid sick leave ordinance, you must:
- Work in Los Angeles
- Have been employed for at least 90 days
This L.A.-specific form of emergency legislation provides an additional 80 hours of sick leave for COVID-19 and related purposes. Eligible citizens must:
- Work in Los Angeles
- Have been employed for at least 60 days
- Work at a company with 500 or more employees in Los Angeles or more than 2,000 employees nation-wide
If you do not meet the requirements of Los Angeles’ COVID-19 sick leave ordinance, you may be eligible for the state-wide alternative. To qualify, you must:
- Work in California
- Have been employed for at least 30 days
- Work at a company with 25 or more employees
L.A. sick leave law does not apply to all forms of employment. Review this table to determine if you are eligible:
|Employment Type||Eligible (Yes/No)|
City and state-level legislation prevent employers from:
- Denying an employee the use of their sick leave
- Forcing employees to work while sick
- Dismissing employees for absences related to illness
- Asking for details about an employee’s illness
- Requiring a doctor’s note to approve sick leave for fewer than three days
Worried about how to ask for time off? Even when it’s legal and justified, it can be challenging to talk to your manager about an absence.
DoNotPay will help—we offer a Request Sick Leave product that streamlines the task of putting together a sick leave request letter.
Here is how it works:
- Sign in to DoNotPay
- Select the Request Sick Leave product
- Provide information about your employment and your upcoming absence
- Upload a picture of your doctor’s note
After that is taken care of, you can download a copy of your letter or let DoNotPay submit it to your boss for you.
Does paperwork bring you to the edge of a nervous breakdown? With our help, you will skip all administrative impediments and get ready-made legal documents before you know it! No failed drafts or huge legal fees!
DoNotPay can generate:
- Advance health care directives
- Powers of attorney
- Defamation demand letters
- Child travel consent forms
- Neighbor complaint letters
- Divorce settlement agreements
- Financial aid appeal letters
- Insurance and warranty claims
- Revocable living trusts
- Seatbelt ticket appeal letters
- Homeschool letter of intent
You don’t need to leave your credit card info or personal details if you want to start free trials that won’t turn into paid subscriptions without notice. DoNotPay will create a virtual credit card with a fake name and generic credit card number for you in just a few clicks. This way, greedy companies won’t take a single penny from your account without your authorization!