Shop Direct Finance Company Debt – Can You Write It Off?
Is Shop Direct Finance hounding you for money? Few things are as frustrating as receiving repeated dun letters by post, unless it's getting late-night calls from a collection agency. If this sounds like your life right now, don't panic. DoNotPay can tell you everything you need to know about .
What Is Shop Direct?
Incorporated as Shop Direct Finance Company Limited in 2003, the non-depository credit outfit oversees almost 200 companies, including Very and Isme, says Dun & Bradstreet.
Until recent years, Shop Direct made most of their money through mail-order shopping catalogues such as Littlewoods and Argos. Currently the fourth-largest online retailer in the UK, Shop Direct now goes by the name Very and is evolving away from mail-order to focus on their digital business, according to Drapers Online.
If you have existing (Very) and need to get in touch with the company, here’s their contact information:
|Shop Direct Finance Company Contact Information|
|Address||Shop Direct Finance Company
1st Floor Skyways House
Speke Road, Liverpool L70 1AB
|Phone||0844 292 5000|
|Website||The Very Group|
What to Do If You Receive a Bill From Shop Direct
If you don't recognise the debt, you can request the company verify that it is valid. To do this by post, send a "Prove the Debt" letter to the company.
The letter should state that you dispute the debt and provide your contact info. Don't admit to the charges, and don't sign the letter. According to the Scottish Trust Deed, your signature could be wrongly used to retroactively put you into a credit contract.
Instead, simply type your name at the close of the letter. If the debt is valid, you should receive a reply containing your original contract.
How Far Can Shop Direct Go to Collect a Debt?
As is the case with any UK collection agency, Shop Direct is allowed by law to contact debtors via email, phone, or post. You do have the right to ask them to limit contact to one method, but there is no guarantee this will work.
Phone calls at reasonable hours are not considered harassment, explains Citizens Advice. Neither are dun letters. Behaviours that do constitute harassment under UK law include:
- Bothering you on your social media pages
- Calling between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- Calling you at work without permission
- Coming after you with more than one debt collecting agency
- Failing to advise you when the debt is sold to a collection agency
- Falsely claiming to be a sheriff or bailiff
- Falsely implying that legal action can be taken when it cannot
- Implying that court action has been taken when it has not
- Physical threats
- Pressuring you to put your home up for sale
- Pressuring you to take out even more credit
- Shaming you in public
- Stating that non-payment is a criminal offence (it isn't)
- Taking your belongings without a warrant
- Telling a friend or family member about your debt
- Using logos or fonts that make written communications appear to be legal court forms
- Verbal threats
Can I Ignore Shop Direct Finance Debt Collectors?
Whatever you do, don't ignore letters or calls from Shop Direct. Pretending the debt doesn't exist won't make it go away. In fact, if the company can't reach you by mail or phone, they may send agents to your home.
Unless they are actual bailiffs with a judgement from County Court, you don't have to answer the door. If Shop Direct obtains a court judgement against you, they may use it to:
- Send bailiffs to your home to recover goods to satisfy the debt
- Apply for an attachment of earnings order
- Apply for a charging order
Is There An Easier Way to Deal With Shop Direct Finance Company Debt?
You bet there is! DoNotPay understands how maddening it can be to go back and forth with a creditor, so we invented a product that takes the hassle out of corresponding with Shop Direct Finance, Moorcroft Debt Recovery, Advantis Debt Collection, and any other debt collector in the UK.
DoNotPay is ready to help right now. Here's how it works:
- Search "debt collection" on DoNotPay.
- Answer a series of questions about the debt collectors, including when you were contacted and how you were contacted, so we can determine if they have violated any debt collection laws.
- Decide which course of action you want to take based on our guidance, such as filing a debt verification request, demanding for the collectors to stop contacting you, or reporting them to a professional trade association.
Yes, it's as simple as that! Once DoNotPay has your information, our artificial intelligence system will start assisting. We can compose and deliver a "Prove the Debt" letter, demand that the creditor stop harassing you, or we can file a formal complaint against Shop Direct Finance Company.
Dealing With Debt Collectors Isn't All We Can Do for You
When DoNotPay first started, we were dedicated to helping everyday people contest parking tickets. We helped a lot of people, and we still provide that important service. That's not all our AI robot-lawyer can do for you, however.
- Put a stop to harassment by DWP Debt Management
- Facilitate your refund from Provident Loans
- Assist you with Marston Group Holdings issues
- Help you deal with Lowell Financial
- Facilitate your refund from Amigo Loans
If you came to DoNotPay today for assistance with , we’ll do that right away. Afterward, enjoy a nice cup of tea while you browse our site to see hundreds of other issues DoNotPay makes easier.