The Fastest and Most Reliable Way to Send Money to an Inmate
Many of us have friends or family who are serving time for one reason or another. Perhaps you want to send them a letter or some funds to purchase necessities from the commissary or canteen. DoNotPay can easily help you do that even if you are not sure where they are located. Let's examine how.
How to Locate an Inmate
Of course, sending funds would be easiest if you know where an inmate is currently located. But there are ways to find them if you are not sure. Each state has its own prison system. By accessing the appropriate state's department of corrections and rehabilitation website, you should be able to find them.
If the individual is in the federal system, you can visit the Federal Bureau of Prisons website to aid you. However, if you use DoNotPay to send money, the app will also look up the inmate's location as part of its service. DoNotPay simplifies it all from one easy access point.
How to Send Funds to an Inmate Through a State Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
In principle, most states have similar directions for sending funds to an inmate. Here we will use the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) as an example.
On the department's website you can follow steps to find an inmate's CDCR number. You can also follow additional steps to find where the inmate is located. Then you can choose one of three ways to send money to a California inmate:
By Way of an Electronic Funds Transfer
This method is used to send funds to a trust account or for restitution only. There is a service fee. Funds post quickly to an inmate's account – within one to three days.
The CDCR accepts funds from three vendors:
Through Lock Box
There is no fee to send money through Lock Box. The procedure is as follows:
- Fill out a Money Order Deposit Form with your sender name and address - note there is a maximum of $999.99 per Money Order Deposit Form.
- You may pay with a money order or check payable to JPay – if paying by personal check there will be a 10-day hold of funds
- The envelope can only contain the money order – no notes or letters are allowed
- Funds should be mailed to JPay 2202 South Figueroa St., Box #3001, Los Angeles, CA 90007
Mail a Check or Money Order Directly to the Institution Where the Inmate is Housed
In this case, there is no fee, but there will be a 30-day hold of funds. You will need to make the funds payable to CDCR and include the inmate's name and CDCR number in the memo section.
These are the ways California handles sending funds to inmates. Another state may have different methods so you will need to search the internet to find out how. But there is a much simpler way. You can use DoNotPay to locate where the inmate is being held, to get you in touch with the inmate, or to help you send them funds.
Other Issues in Dealing with an Inmate DoNotPay Can Help With
Whether you have a loved one or friend who is an inmate, or you want to reach out to someone you may not know, but as a potential pen pal to someone who could be experiencing a particularly lonely time, DoNotPay can help.
DoNotPay will not only help you locate an inmate. It can also help you:
- Address a letter to an inmate
- Determine what you can and cannot write in a letter to an inmate
- Determine when and how to visit an inmate
Use DoNotPay to Locate the Imprisoned Party and to Send Them Funds
Using DoNotPay is SO simple! Rather than spending endless time on the phone being transferred from one party to the next or searching the internet trying to locate your friend or loved one, and then addressing how to send them funds, follow the steps below to take care of all of that for you!
Here is all you have to do:
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
You can get on with other things while DoNotPay takes care of all of this for you.
There is Much More to DoNotPay Than One Project
After you have asked DoNotPay to send funds to an inmate, have a look around and see all the other tasks DoNotPay can take care of for you. Here are a few examples:
- Find missing funds you weren't aware of
- Contest a parking ticket
- Help you deal with unwanted spam emails
And that is just barely scratching the surface of DoNotPay's offerings. Check out what else DoNotPay can do for you today!