Easily Qualify and Apply for Section 8 Housing In Syracuse, NY
The Syracuse Housing Authority in New York opens applications for Section 8 housing assistance once in a while to help those in need within the city. The last opening for applications was in March 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic, where over 3,500 residents benefited from the program.
Applications for the Section 8 housing programs are submitted online, and an applicant must have an active email address. After that, the Syracuse Housing Authority will use the lottery method to select applicants and check whether they qualify for the program, then shortlist them.
The program is expected to reopen after the SHA has served all the 3,500 qualifying applicants from the previous opening. Worried that you may miss out on the program once it reopens?
DoNotPay can help you apply for Section 8 in Syracuse in just a few clicks. DoNotPay will contact SHA on your behalf, check for eligibility, and send you an email with the next steps so that you can submit your application.
Who Is Eligible for Section 8 Housing in Syracuse?
New York State is clear on who qualifies for the Section 8 housing programs in all its counties, and the eligibility criteria are as follows.
- At least one family member must be a citizen of the United States or a legal immigrant. You'll be required to show the proper documentation to prove your citizenship status.
- Your annual household income should be below the income limit, set at 50% of median income. However, 75% of the total number of vouchers are reserved to be distributed to very low-income individuals and families, and therefore limit is set to 30% of median income.
- If the applicant had been evicted from public housing due to drug-related criminal activities, they would need to wait for three years from the date of eviction to reapply.
Syracuse gives priority to victims of domestic violence, people with certain disabilities, and applicants with children living in lead-poisoned houses. In addition, those who qualify for the Section 8 housing vouchers can use the vouchers to pay for any qualifying apartment within the city.
Housing vouchers issued under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program are three different types. See them in the table below.
|Tenant-Based Housing Choice Voucher||The family is expected to pay 30% of the rent from their income, and SHA will pay the rest. In addition, the tenant must find an apartment that meets the safety and sanitary standards of the SHA and a reasonable rent amount.|
|Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) Vouchers||It offers rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veteran Affairs.|
|Mainstream Vouchers||It offers help to families with non-elderly people with disabilities so that they are able to lease affordable private housing of their choice.|
How to Get Section 8 Housing in Syracuse, NY, by Yourself
At the time of writing, Syracuse Housing Authority is not accepting any applications, and it is not clear when the program will be reopened. However, it's best to remain prepared for when the program will reopen. (And it might be open now, as you read this.)
Here's how to apply.
- Check the Syracuse Housing Authority website (www.syracusehousing.org) for an announcement on the reopening.
- Check the eligibility criteria for the participants to see whether they qualify.
- Fill out the pre-application form or the application form as required by Syracuse Housing Authority and submit it online.
After submission, Syracuse Housing Authority will choose the qualifying applicants and put them on a waiting list. Log in to http://www.waitlistcheck.com/ using your user ID and password to check if you are among the selected applicants.
SHA will send you an email or a letter through US postal service once your name gets to the top of the waiting list, asking you to confirm your eligibility and then get ready to move.
Get Section 8 Housing in Syracuse, New York, With DoNotPay
Since the Syracuse Housing Authority has not announced the exact date for the reopening of the program, you can easily out or submit your application late. However, DoNotPay will know when the program reopens and contact the SHA on your behalf for eligibility requirements.
Through DoNotPay's Section 8 product, you can find out easily when the program reopens and apply fast.
If you want to apply for Section 8 Housing in Syracuse, NY, but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 2 easy steps:
- Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
- DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.
And that's it. Once you submit your information to DoNotPay, sit back and let DoNotPay contact the Public Housing Authority on your behalf. Meanwhile, learn more about government housing assistance in Syracuse with the app.
Learn More About Section 8 in Syracuse, NY
DoNotPay can help you learn the following.
- How to apply for section 8
- Apply for section 8
- How to get section 8 immediately
- Section 8 vouchers
- Section 8 rental assistance programs
- Section 8 government housing
- Where do I go to fill out section 8?
- Housing section 8 application form
- Low-income housing
- HUD housing application
Check out DoNotPay's Section 8 product for more information.