How to Get Section 8 Housing Assistance in Missouri
The Housing Voucher Program, commonly referred to as Section 8 or Housing and Urban Development (HUD), subsidizes rent for very low-income families. This federal program caters to not only poor families, but also the elderly and the physically disabled. Thanks to Section 8, these groups of people can afford safe and decent living in rental units on the private market.
The HUD program in Missouri has enabled many individuals and families to improve their quality of housing while enjoying safe and convenient living. So, if you ever wondered how to apply for low-income housing in Missouri or where to go to fill out for Section 8, worry no more, because DoNotPay has got you covered. Read along to find out how you can apply for Section 8 housing assistance in Missouri, and how DoNotPay can help.
Who Is Eligible for Section 8 Housing in Missouri?
The Public Housing Agency (PHA) is responsible for determining those who qualify to get Section 8 housing vouchers. Each Missouri Public Housing Agency has drafted its eligibility requirements. Nevertheless, there are two main requirements applicants ought to meet:
For you to qualify for Section 8 housing, you must currently reside in Missouri. Moreover, you also must be a citizen of the United States. Non-citizens may qualify for low-income housing only if they have eligible immigration status.
As dictated by the law, those eligible for the HUD program have to have their family income not exceeding 50% of the metropolitan area's median income. It is worth noting that the median income is different for counties in Missouri. The Public Housing Agency is also required to administer 75% of the vouchers to those applicants whose family income doesn't exceed 30% of the metropolitan area's median income.
Some Public Housing Agencies make use of waitlists to which applicants are added, based on their time of application. Individuals or families who meet the following preferences may move ahead of others on the waitlist:
- Those who are vagrant
- Those living in low-quality housing
- Those who have undergone involuntary displacement
- Those who spend more than half of their income on rent
How to Apply for Section 8 Housing in Missouri on Your Own
Applying for the Section 8 rental assistance program may prove to be a difficult task. It involves a lengthy, time-consuming, and tedious process. You have to apply for your Section 8 government housing through your local Public Housing Agency. Follow these steps to send your application:
- Visit the contact page to find your local Public Housing Agency.
- Choose Missouri from the list.
- Select your local Public Housing Agency as listed by county
- Contact your local Public Housing Agency through the listed telephone number or e-mail.
- Provide information such as family income, assets, and family constitution.
- You will have to wait for the Public Housing Agency to verify this information with other local agencies, your employer, as well as your bank.
- The Public Housing Agency will then decide if you qualify for Section 8 housing and notify you of the amount of housing payment assistance you will secure.
- If you are eligible, there is a high chance that you will be put on the waiting list, unless they can offer you immediate assistance.
- You will, then, have to wait until your name is reached on the waiting list and the Public Housing Agency will contact you to issue you your voucher.
Applying for Section 8 Housing in Missouri With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay is the best platform to use when applying for a section 8 housing voucher in Missouri, since it makes the entire process involved super easy for you. If you want to apply for Section 8 Housing in Missouri but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 2 easy steps:
- Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.
- DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.
Why Use DoNotPay?
The reasons why DoNotPay stands out as the best platform to use when applying for a section 8 voucher in Missouri include:
Fast. You don't have to spend hours trying to solve the issue.
Easy. You don't have to struggle to fill out your Section 8 application form or keep track of all the steps involved in solving your problem.
Successful. You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.
What Else Can DoNotPay do?
Apart from helping you to apply for a Section 8 voucher, DoNotPay can help you do so many other things, such as:
- Suing in Small Claims Court
- Scheduling DMV Appointments
- Reducing Property Taxes
- Negotiating Bills
- Finding Free Trials
- Finding and Claiming Missing Money
- Filing a Complaint
- Discovering and Applying for Scholarships
Why wait any longer? Use DoNotPay today to apply for a section 8 voucher instantly at the comfort of your home!