How to Find the Best School for Child With Asperger's
Finding a , one that will meet all of their needs and help them grow and develop, may feel like a daunting challenge. Whether you're new to an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) diagnosis or whether you've simply moved to a new area and find yourself researching schools in your district, it's likely you're feeling overwhelmed with the options in front of you.
While it's not always easy to decide on schools for kids on the Autism Spectrum, the good news is that you don't have to wade through all the information on your own.
DoNotPay is here to help you find the best school for your child.
Evaluating the Schools in Your District
Everyone looking at schools for their children will have specific aspects they're looking for. Those who have children with special needs are no exception.
When researching schools, it's important that you do your homework. In addition to reading up on your options online, take some time out to visit the schools, tour the campus, and note what you see.
- Do the teachers have high expectations of the students?
- Do the students seem busy and happy?
- Are the school's grounds and corridors well-kept?
- Are there any potentially concerning sensory issues?
- Is there an involved and impactful PTA?
- Does the administration seem to welcome your questions and concerns?
While you're making your evaluations, don't just trust your own eyes and ears. Talk to other parents, students, and teachers. Sit down with the principal and ask questions. Keep track of your observations and make a note of any concerns that arise during this process.
Special Considerations for ASD Students
While the steps noted above are important for everyone, ASD students have some special considerations. One of the most important considerations for students with Asperger's (or any ASD student) is how the school handles the following:
- Discipline issues
Because many children with Asperger's have difficulty with social interaction, they sometimes appear to be misbehaving when they don't mean to be. (Scholastic)
While you're investigating schools, questions about discipline and accommodations for ASD and Asperger's students are key. You need to know if your child's unique habits and skills will be understood, welcomed, worked with, and appreciated by the faculty and staff. Will your child be able to flourish within the school's ecosystem?
How Do I Choose a School for My Child With Asperger’s?
When choosing a school for a child with Asperger's, here are a few important steps to consider:
- Read up on the schools in your area. Some of them may even list their approach to ASD students on their websites.
- Connect with the online community. Online forums for ASD parents can be a goldmine when it comes to uncovering information about local schools. Take your time, connect with other parents, and see what they have to say.
- Assess the school's accommodations and resources. What a school says is important, but what matters more is what they do. Do you observe any accommodations? Do they have a sensory room/area for students with sensory processing issues? What can overwhelmed students do to regroup or decompress?
- Involve your child in the decision. While we know we can't let kids make all their own decisions, children with Asperger's will notice details and pick up on concerns those of us not on the Autism Spectrum would never notice. When you're seriously considering a school, be sure to take your student along with you for a visit before making your final decision.
DoNotPay Can Help You Find the Best Schools
Finding the best schools is always a stressful challenge, let alone finding a in your area. Rather than spending hours on Google comparing schools, reading reviews, and making your own pros and cons list, let us do some heavy lifting for you.
If you want to find the best schools in your area but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in four easy steps:
- Go to the Best Schools Search product on DoNotPay.
- Let us guide you through the different priorities you can filter by, including whether you're looking for a private school vs. public school, your ideal student-to-teacher ratio, and what grade level you are looking for.
- Tell us how you want us to rank the results (by what's most important to you!) Some examples include, best schools overall, most diverse, best teachers, etc.
- Enter the search area you want to search in for. The wider the area, the more schools we can match you with.
It really is that easy.
Simplify Your Life With DoNotPay
Life is already complicated enough without doing things the hard way. Fortunately, DoNotPay is here to help you simplify your life, including how to make tricky decisions about choosing the best schools and many more. See the table below for more offers from DoNotPay.
|Choose a school for gifted children||Choose a special school for troubled kids|
|Choose the best schools for your children||Submit a letter of intent to homeschool|
|Navigate small claims court||File your taxes online|
Come learn more about all our helpful products and services.