Get Your Creative Juices Flowing With Scholarships for Poetry
Some would say that being a poet, or any other kind of artist, doesn’t pay off. The truth is that whether you approach poetry as a hobby or want to publish your pieces someday, you can get scholarships and grants for it. The question is—where can you find scholarships for poetry?
DoNotPay provides resources to aid you in your search and tips on how to submit a flawless scholarship application!
Students who qualify for scholarships for poetry can be:
- High school students from freshman to senior years
- College students
- Grad school students
While students typically only need to submit their portfolio to apply for scholarships for poetry, they sometimes need to meet additional requirements—including:
- Being academically successful
- Maintaining a particular grade point average (GPA)
Before you start exploring scholarships for poets, you should keep the following in mind:
- All scholarships require you to submit a different number of poems or poetry pages. The more poems you have prepared, the better
- Many scholarships for art and creative writing apply to poets, as well
- Some scholarships allow you to submit visual poetry only
- Many students mistake poetry contests for scholarships—while both involve people using their poetry to win a prize, they have a distinctive set of differences
Students can only use scholarships for educational purposes, whereas poetry contest prizes can be used for anything—including educational and living expenses. Another difference is that poetry contests often charge a not-so-cheap participation fee.
Many students still opt for poetry contests as they have the liberty to use their prize however they want.
Since there aren’t many scholarships for poets, finding them can be a challenge. The following resources can help you find some:
- Your school’s English or financial aid department
- Local and school-based poetry and literary clubs
- Scholarship search engines
- Organizations dedicated to helping student poets find their voice, such as:
- Poetry Out Loud
- The Poetry Coalition
- Alliance for Young Artists & Writers
- Local organizations and private donors
Do you lack the time necessary to research scholarships for poets? DoNotPay offers a shortcut! Sign up and answer a few questions to get a list of all available opportunities!
Take a look at the following table for details on the few poetry scholarships available:
|The Amy Lowell Poetry Travelling Scholarship||Poets willing to spend a year outside of North America||$59,000|
|Learn Between the Lines Scholarship Slam||Students from eighth grade to grad school planning to go to college||$1,000|
|Just Poetry Scholarship||High school students||
|1800wheelchair.com Scholarship||High school students in their junior year or older||$500|
|The Ruth Lilly and Dorothy Sargent Rosenberg Poetry Fellowships||21–31-year-olds||Five fellowships of $25,800|
The following table provides information about some of the most rewarding poetry contests for students:
|The Narrative Prize||Writers of any age or background—including minorities, international students, and legal immigrants—can apply||$5,000|
|Scholastic Portfolio Awards||Applicants must:
|The Pablo Neruda Prize for Poetry||
|Leonard L. Milberg ’53 High School Poetry Prize||Applicants must be 11th-grade students||
Since there aren’t many scholarships for poetry you can apply for, you shouldn’t rely solely on them to get the financial aid you’re seeking. You can increase your chances by looking for other scholarship opportunities based on your:
- Level of study
- Field of study
- Academic merit
- Financial need
- Hobbies and skills
- Community service
- Involvement in sports
- Ethnic roots
- Religious affiliation
Our app can help you find all scholarships you’re eligible for in a matter of minutes! To maximize your chances of getting that extra money, follow these steps:
- Log in to DoNotPay
- Search for Apply for Scholarships
- Answer a few brief questions about your field and level of study and special qualifications—such as being a woman or a veteran
You can also use our product to apply for no-essay scholarships! All you need to do is browse through the provided list and choose the ones you find appealing. We will apply for the selected scholarships on your behalf!
Once you complete the task at hand, you don’t have to stop there—we offer a myriad of products that can relieve you of the stress that comes with dealing with admin and legal hurdles.
DoNotPay can assist you in drawing up a divorce settlement agreement, child travel consent form, power of attorney, and other legal documents, contacting government representatives, getting tourist visas, fighting workplace discrimination, getting a burner number, appealing banned accounts, getting access to public records, scheduling a DMV appointment, and much more.
With DoNotPay by your side, you don’t have to worry about how you’ll cover your utility bills at the end of the month—we’ll provide swift assistance as soon as you sign up!
Wondering what else our app is capable of? Check out how we can:
- Help you jump the phone queue when getting in touch with customer service
- Sign you up for any clinical trial you’re a good candidate for
- Get you a refund for any late, damaged, or missing delivery
- Generate a rock-solid financial aid appeal letter
- Draw up an anonymous HR complaint
- Look up sex offenders in your vicinity
- Help you reduce your property taxes
- Contact any embassy or consulate
- Get any document notarized