How to Request and Collect Overdue San Diego Child Support Payment

Child Support Payments How to Request and Collect Overdue San Diego Child Support Payment

How to Request and Collect Overdue San Diego Child Support Payment

Raising a child is very expensive, as any parent or guardian knows. The cost of education, clothing, food, housing, toys, and developmental items can add up over time - and if you are dealing with an ex-partner who isn't doing their fair share, it can be even more so. If you are owed child support and have a hard time getting a former spouse or partner to pay what they owe, it's time to take action.

Failing to pay child support is a federal crime and something that the courts take seriously. If you are owed San Diego child support, turn to DoNotPay to get the compensation that you deserve.

How Does Child Support Work in San Diego?

Most child support arrangements in San Diego go through California Child Support Services. The state takes the failure to pay child support very seriously, and if your ex-partner suddenly stops making the appropriate payments, there are enforcement actions. According to the California Child Support Services website, some of these actions can include:

  • The suspension of the party's driver's license and passport.
  • The suspension of professional licenses.
  • Intercepting any tax refunds or insurance payments until the child support issue is resolved.
  • The party who fails to make child support payments could be found in contempt of court.
  • Intercepting and seizing any lottery wins.

If your ex-partner is found to be in contempt of court, other legal ramifications can be brought to bear, including possibly hefty fines and even jail time. Therefore, you must take action quickly to see what's going on and understand why you are no longer receiving your child support payments in San Diego.

How to Demand Child Support in San Diego on Your Own

If your ex-spouse stops making child support payments, there are some things you can do on your own to try to get the financial assistance that you and your child deserve.

1. Try Discussing the Issue With Your Ex-partner.

The first course of action is to talk to your ex about the lack of child support payments. Something might have changed in their life with their financial situation, and they could be ashamed. In this case, they could be willing to work with you to get the San Diego child support payments back on track. If, however, their financial situation has changed for the worse, they will need to work with the court to possibly negotiate a new payment amount. This process can take a while and will likely require the court to take a close look at your ex's finances.

2. Contact California Child Support Services.

If your ex isn't willing to work with you or start making the appropriate payments, your next step is to contact California Child Support Services. You can call the department directly at 1-866-901-3212 to talk to someone about questions you have regarding your child support payments. They can then intervene in the process and possibly take legal action against your ex-partner. 

3. Escalate the Case to Court.

By this point, if your ex-partner still isn't willing to make the child support payments that you deserve, it's time to escalate the San Diego child support case to court. You can file a motion for contempt of court in the form of a demand letter, turning the matter over to the presiding judge. The judge will carefully evaluate the case, and by the end of this period, they will decide on future child support payments.

All of this might seem very overwhelming and exhausting. After making multiple phone calls (not to mention possibly having a stressful or confrontational conversation with your ex) and filling out forms online, you could be tempted to throw in the towel and just take care of it later. However, this is hardly fair to you or your child. When you need help getting the San Diego child support you deserve, turn to DoNotPay. With DoNotPay, you can avoid stress and frustration since we file the demand letter on your behalf.

Demand Child Support Payments With the Help of DoNotPay

How to file a demand letter for late child support payments using DoNotPay:

If you want to file a demand letter for late child support payments but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.


  2. Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made and number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.


  3. Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.


DoNotPay Helps You Get the Payments You Deserve

DoNotPay is the solution for late child support payments in San Diego. DoNotPay is:

  • Fast. With DoNotPay, you don't have to spend hours explaining the situation to others. Our system takes just three steps to complete!
  • Easy. You don't have to do any deep dives into child support laws with DoNotPay. Quickly get the compensation you are entitled to with DoNotPay.
  • Successful. Best of all, DoNotPay successfully gets your child support payments back on track.

DoNotPay can help you, not just with late child support payments in San Diego, but also in these states:

DelawareMinnesota Wyoming
South CarolinaKansasNorth Dakota
Rhode IslandNebraskaMississippi
New MexicoOhioArkansas
New HampshireNevadaArizona
AlabamaKentuckyWest Virginia
IdahoMassachusetts Georgia
Washington StateColoradoIndiana
CaliforniaNew YorkNew Jersey
FloridaNorth Carolina Wisconsin

Have you ever wondered:

DoNotPay can help you with these issues and get you the child support you are owed.

Let DoNotPay help you get the compensation that you deserve!

Want your issue solved now?