How To Appeal Your Assessment—Snatch a Sample Property Tax Appeal Letter Here
How Does a Property Tax Appeal Work, and Why Do You Need To Write a Letter?
A property tax appeal is an opportunity for any homeowner to protest their home’s assessed market value. When a local property tax assessor makes an error while evaluating your property’s purchase price, you can spend much more on your property tax bills than you should.
In most cases, to appeal your property’s assessment, you need to:
- File an appeal with your county’s tax board
- Pay a fee
- Collect the evidence that proves your assessment contains errors
- Prove your assessment is incorrect in a court hearing
So, what is a property tax appeal letter, and why do you need to write it?
A property tax appeal letter is a formal request for your local tax board to change your property’s appraised market value. When you write the letter, you need to send it to your local property tax appeal office either in person or through the mail.
Some states or counties may require that you submit:
- Only a form when appealing your assessment
- Only a property tax appeal letter
- Both a form and a letter
Appeal Your Property Tax Assessment Using This Sample Letter
Your property tax appeal letter needs to contain the following information:
- Contact information of the assessor that appraised your property
- The date when you plan to submit the letter
- Subject line
- Your property’s description and parcel number
- Reasons for the appeal provided in concrete detail
- Your name and signature
Your letter also needs to be formal. Here’s a sample letter to help you write your own:
“[The assessor’s address
The assessor’s name
Your City, State, ZIP Code
Request to appeal my property’s tax assessment
Dear [Assessor’s name],
Please accept this letter as my notice to appeal the assessed value of the property described below for tax year [year]. Here are the reasons why the assessment you made is incorrect:
[List all the discrepancies in your property’s assessment in a bulleted or numbered list]
I request for my property’s market value to be reduced to [the purchase price you believe is correct]
As you can see from the information I provided in this letter, my property has been wrongly assessed.
I am asking that you change my property tax assessment according to the information I have given you. Please don’t hesitate to reach me at [your contact information]
[Your name and hand-written signature]
When To Appeal Your Property’s Tax Assessment
If you’re uncertain whether to appeal your property’s tax assessment, check out what kind of information may be incorrect in your notice:
What May Be Incorrect
|The purchase price||
DoNotPay Makes Appealing Your Tax Assessment a Piece of Cake
When you decide to appeal the assessment of your property’s market value, there are many wrong steps you could take. The information about how to appeal your assessment varies not only from state to state but also from county to county. You usually don’t know all the facts, so you may miss an important deadline or submit the wrong form.
It’s imperative that you inform yourself on how property tax appeals work in your area, which is what signing up for DoNotPay can help you with.
Our app helps you collect all the information you need in a few short steps. When you access DoNotPay, you only need to:
- Go to our Property Tax product
- Answer a few questions about yourself and your property
- Wait for our app to generate a personalized guide on appealing your assessment
Apply for Property Tax Exemptions With DoNotPay!
When you get DoNotPay to help you appeal your property’s assessment, you can use our app to further lower your tax bills.
- What tax exemptions you are eligible for
- How to apply for them without wasting your time and energy
Not many states have low property tax rates, but almost all of them offer the following tax exemptions to citizens:
- Senior citizens exemptions
- Solar property tax exemptions
- Property tax exemptions for veterans
- Widow property tax exemptions
Outsmart Scammers With DoNotPay
Are you troubled every time you think about subscribing to a service because you fear your personal information will leak and your privacy will become invaded?
There's no need to fret anymore as DoNotPay has come up with a way to shield you from hackers, scammers, and identity thieves alike.
Check out how you can use DoNotPay and browse the internet care-free:
- Open DoNotPay in your web browser
- Locate our Virtual Credit Card generator
- Use the made-up card number to sign up for any free trial
- Move forward to our Burner Phone product
- Use the temporary phone number to verify any online account
- Enjoy the trial without worrying about canceling it—the service will do it on its own
Signing up for services with DoNotPay's hacks frees you from ever falling victim to a serious crime, such as identity theft, and liberates you from the bothersome and never-ending spam calls, texts, and emails that you never explicitly agreed to receive.
What Else Is Hot About DoNotPay?
DoNotPay does wonders in protecting your online privacy, but it can do so much more for you!
With our assistance, you can claim compensation for canceled or delayed flights, request refunds and chargebacks for unsatisfactory purchases, file warranty claims for defective products, and even overturn unjust parking tickets!