How to Write a Letter of Debt Validation on a Zombie Debt
Mistakes happen, and old debt that you have cleared () may show up later and hurt your credit rating. It can be challenging to get debt validation on a zombie debt yourself.
You can write a debt validation letter or a credit dispute letter, but it may not work fast enough to help. DoNotPay can help you improve your credit score, dispute your credit report, and fix your credit score.
There are several tricks to improving your credit score that is hard to do independently. One of them is to request credit companies to remove items from your credit report.
DoNotPay can show you how to remove collections, late payments, and inquiries from your credit report to improve your credit score. This guide will explain what to look for on your credit report, discuss how to fix your credit score on your own, and show how DoNotPay can improve your credit score in half the time with less frustration.
What is Zombie Debt?
"A zombie debt is typically an old debt that has fallen off your credit report, you no longer owe or has expired, but a debt collector has revived it — and is asking you to pay."
What Should I Look for on My Zombie Debt Credit Dispute?
"You should list each item on your credit report that you believe is inaccurate, including the creditor name, the account number, and the specific reason you feel the information is incorrect."
You may also submit documents to support your dispute. The following may help solve a zombie debt credit dispute:
- Police reports or an FTC Identity Theft Report showing that an account was the result of identity theft
- Bankruptcy schedules showing that an account was included in or discharged in bankruptcy
- Letters from creditors showing how an account should be corrected
- Canceled checks showing that a collection account has been paid
What Is a Debt Validation Letter?
According to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, debt collectors must send you a debt validation letter. It is a written statement about the debt they are trying to collect, and it must be sent within five days of them contacting you.
How to Write a Debt Verification Letter
If you want to write a , include the following:
- Mention the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act or o 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) of the FDCPA
- Request proof that you owe money.
- Remind the debt collectors that they must report mistaken information to the credit agencies
- Set a deadline (usually 30 days) for the collector to respond.
Strategies on Successfully Disputing Your Credit Report
The following methods may help you dispute zombie debts on your credit report.
- Find out what debt you are being accused of owing.
- Gather as many facts as you can about the debt
- Request a debt verification letter.
- Determine if a legitimate debt.
- Decide if you need to sue
DoNotPay can collect all this information for you, giving you a better chance of disputing your debt.
Sue for an Unresolved Credit Report Dispute
You may have to sue if the credit agencies refuse to clear the debt or the debt collectors refuse to invalidate a zombie debt. DoNotPay can help you with any lawsuit in small claims court.
How to Write a Letter of Debt Validation on a Zombie Debt by Yourself
First, you need to request a debt validation letter, send a debt verification letter, and finally, take legal action if your zombie debt is not invalidated. This is a lot to do on your own, is very stressful, and if you say the wrong thing to a creditor, you have the potential to make things worse.
There's no reason to spend days collecting past debt information when DoNotPay can help you in no time.
How to Write a Letter of Debt Validation on a Zombie Debt With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay makes all of this easier. We collect your debt information, write your debt validation letter, and help you in court if you need to sue.
How to clean up your credit report using DoNotPay:
If you want to clean up your credit report but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search Clean Credit Report on DoNotPay.
- Prepare a recent copy of your credit report that you can use as reference.
- Let us guide you through the 4 potential options:
- If you've already paid off your debt, we'll help you file a Goodwill Removal Request to get it removed.
- If you notice any errors in your report (we have a list of common errors you can use!), we'll help you file a credit dispute to the creditor or major credit bureaus.
- If there are no errors, we'll check if you're still eligible to file a debt validation request. If they can't validate your debt, they're required to remove it from your report and they can't collect it!
- Lastly, if none of the above options work, we'll help you file a pay-to-delete negotiation letter. You can customize the amount you are willing to pay in exchange for getting the item removed.
Why Use DoNotPay to Write a Letter of Debt Validation on a Zombie Debt
Writing your debt validation letter is essential because it's the last step you can take before you have to sue. DoNotPay can take all the stress out of writing the letter through research into your debt and correct legal wording.
|We collect the evidence, so you don't have to.
|We draft the debt validation letter, so you don't accidentally leave something out.
|We've helped thousands of people clear their credit reports, and we can help you.
DoNotPay Works Across All Companies/Entities/Groups With the Click of a Button
DoNotPay can help you find unclaimed money across all 50 states. Or it can help you get your birth certificate in Kentucky the same way it could for California.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Aside from helping you write a debt validation letter, DoNotPay could also help you
Don’t stress out over these things. Use DoNotPay, today!