Purchase a Saltwater Fishing License in Any State with Less Hassle
A fishing license is a must for anyone catching fish in oceans, lakes, streams, estuaries, and bays, as it is a legal requirement in every state in the U.S. and the District of Columbia. A saltwater fishing license is necessary for those states bordering the Atlantic Ocean, the Gulf of Mexico, or the Pacific Ocean for beach fishing, offshore fishing, and inshore fishing. Skipping out on buying a freshwater fishing license or saltwater fishing license before heading out on the water is risky and can lead to expensive fines or jail time. Therefore, anglers across the United States should know how to purchase a fishing license, whether getting a license online or in person.
Many state fishing license apps make accessing and obtaining a saltwater fishing license easy. However, if you do not know how to begin the process, DoNotPay can help. DoNotPay makes buying a saltwater fishing license fast and simple without the hassle of figuring out the type of fishing license needed on your own.
When Do You Need A Saltwater Fishing License?
Whether you plan on doing surf fishing, inshore fishing, or booking a deep-sea fishing trip on your next trip to one of America's coasts, you'll need to get a saltwater fishing license from the state you're fishing in. Since each state's licensing requirements are different, it is best to check with the state's fish and wildlife agency.
Exceptions to Needing a Saltwater Fishing License for Each State
- Whether you're under (typically 16) or over a certain age (normally 65)
- During the state's license-free saltwater fishing day
- Anglers from a bordering state with reciprocal recreational saltwater fishing license rules
- Fishing from a privately owned pier or shoreline
Breakdown of Saltwater Fishing Licenses and How Much Licenses Cost
The overwhelming options when buying a saltwater fishing license can make first-time anglers second guess their decision to give fishing a try. Don't give up on a recreational fishing trip in tidal waters before it begins! Refer to our list of typical saltwater fishing license types to help you choose the right one for your ocean fishing needs.
|Resident Saltwater Fishing License||As the name suggests, this is only for state residents and typically is the most affordable for the avid fisherman.|
|Non-Resident Saltwater License||This license is required for state visitors who will be fishing inshore and offshore bodies of saltwater.|
|Annual License||You can purchase this saltwater fishing license to fish on the state's coast for the entire calendar year.|
|Single-Day License||A one-day saltwater license is ideal for visitors or an affordable way for those just testing ocean fishing.|
|Multi-Day License||If you are only fishing in tidal waters in a state for a set number of days, this is the license for you.|
While buying a saltwater fishing license is the law to legally fish inshore and offshore bodies of water in the United States, your license fee also helps with the state's fishing conservation efforts. The cost for a saltwater license varies from state to state, but the top three factors used for determining fishing license fees are:
- Whether you're a state resident or visitor
- The length of time you'll need a saltwater fishing license
- The type of coastal fishing you'll be doing (inshore, offshore, etc.)
Steps to Purchasing a Saltwater Fishing License on Your Own
While a fishing license is required to legally catch fish from America's waterways for recreational or business purposes, many first-time anglers may not know where to purchase a fishing license. Even if you already have a freshwater fishing license, for coastal fishing, you'll need to get a saltwater license too.
- Find the state's fish and wildlife agency website for purchasing a saltwater fishing license online.
- Create an account to access your license from their fishing app or use your phone or tablet to log into your account.
- Indicate whether you're a state resident or a visitor (non-resident).
- Choose the type of saltwater fishing license needed. You may only require a single-day, three-day, or week-long license if vacationing.
- Add any additional permits the state requires for fishing in specific locations or certain species.
- Complete your saltwater fishing license purchase to receive confirmation or a reference number to start fishing right away.
- Alternatively, you could visit the local county office or registered fishing license agent, such as a bait and tackle shop or marina, where you will be fishing to purchase your saltwater license.
Since we don't always have time to visit the local county office or other approved fishing licenses dealer, DoNoPay can save you time with their straightforward online application process. Even if purchasing your saltwater fishing license online directly through the state's licensing website, it can be hard to navigate, and creating another online account to remember can be overwhelming. Luckily, DoNotPay handles purchasing saltwater fishing licenses on your behalf with one account to remove the hassle of creating multiple accounts for different states.
DoNotPay Helps You Get Your Saltwater Fishing License with Minimal Effort
Determining the saltwater fishing license type and navigating the steps to creating an account for each state can be time-consuming and confusing. Therefore, DoNotPay breaks down the process of getting a saltwater fishing license in any state to make it less of a headache to enjoy ocean fishing from a pier or on the open waters.
Use DoNotPay to get your saltwater fishing license with a click of a button:
Don't know where to start to get a saltwater fishing license? DoNotPay has you covered in 3 easy steps:
- Search "fishing license" on DoNotPay and select the state you would like a fishing license for.
- Indicate whether you are a resident or non-resident, and choose the type of license you want. For example, saltwater vs. freshwater license, three-day only pass, and more.
- Provide your contact information, a copy of your government-issued ID, and pay the fee required by the state.
Use DoNotPay’s online tool to get your saltwater fishing license the easy way. Our online application process is simple to understand and allows you to purchase multiple fishing licenses with a few clicks and only one login.