How to Fight a Sacramento Traffic Ticket and Win
Each year, about 5 million Californians will receive a traffic ticket of some kind. The average cost per ticket ranges from $600-$700, leaving many residents to search for more information about a .
For that reason, we decided to write this guide covering the basics of traffic tickets in California's capital city. In many cases, we can even help you fight a traffic ticket in Sacramento. More on that later.
Types of Traffic Tickets in Sacramento
There are generally two types of, so you have to check your citation which one applies to you.
Non-moving tickets are issued when the vehicle in question is parked and not in motion.
This typically involves
- parking violations
- fix-it tickets
- and expired plate tags.
In most cases, non-moving tickets don't have a major impact on your driving record, license points, or insurance rates.
Moving Traffic Violation – Infraction
If the ticket is issued due to an infraction while the vehicle is in motion, it is considered a "Moving traffic violation." Of Moving Traffic Violation classes, "infractions" are the least severe. Traffic infractions can still result in fines, points against a license, and driving classes.
- Speeding is one of the most common infraction tickets. Typically, speeding infractions will count as one point against a driver's license and result in a fine below $480. Certain situations can result in a higher fine amount and additional points.
- Failure to stop infractions are issued for running red lights or stop signs. The common outcome for a failure to stop infractions is 1 point against your driver's license and a fine below $500.
- Texting while driving is illegal throughout California. The law includes any cell phone usage other than voice calls. There is an exception if the driver was accessing a map application or using a hands-free device. Texting while driving fines are usually below $167 and rarely result in any points being applied against your license.
Moving Traffic Violation– Misdemeanor
Misdemeanors are considered criminal offenses and are more serious than infractions. Typically, misdemeanors are issued when the violation resulted in an injury, property damage, or serious risk of property damage or injury.
- Excessive speeding tickets can be issued as a misdemeanor if the driver was traveling at a dangerously high speed.
- DUIs will at minimum be considered a misdemeanor offense. The legal Blood Alcohol Content in California is .08%.
The severity of a traffic misdemeanor will determine what penalties are issued. At the absolute minimum, drivers can expect 1 point to be applied against their license. At the other end of the spectrum, misdemeanors can result in up to one year in jail.
Moving Traffic Violation– Felony
In extreme cases, traffic violations may result in a felony.
- Felony DUIs occur if it is the driver's fourth DUI in ten years, if the driver has any prior felonies, or if the DUI results in an injury or death.
- Hit and runs may result in a felony charge. This typically happens if there is a fatality, injury, or significant property damage.
How to Pay a Traffic Ticket in Sacramento
If the traffic ticket was issued by the Sacramento Police Department, it can be paid online. To do this, you will need to access the ticket by providing your
- driver's license number
- citation number
- case number
- or XREF number
Parking tickets must be paid through a separate Sacramento Parking Portal. You can also reach and pay for your parking ticket through
|City of Sacramento Revenue Services
P.O. Box 2551
|Address||City Hall (New Building)
915 I Street, 1st Floor
How to Dispute a Traffic Ticket in Sacramento
Sacramento permits "Written Trial by Declaration." This means you can appeal a traffic citation without needing to appear in court.
- To be eligible, the following conditions must be met
- Full bail must be paid (if applicable)
- Violations are required to be "vehicle code infractions" only
- The violation cannot be involved in an accident
- The applicant is ineligible if the offense contributed to a failure to appear or a failure to by the fine
- To participate, complete the "Written Trial by Declaration Instructions Sheet." Be sure to include all evidence that is beneficial to your case.
- Other cases are required to be contested by trial. This can be arranged by entering a "not guilty plea" during the arraignment.
Is it Worth Contesting a Traffic Ticket in Sacramento?
If the traffic ticket was issued in error, it is absolutely worth contesting the traffic ticket. Not only do traffic tickets result in fines and points against your license, but they will almost certainly raise your car insurance rates.
Trying to appeal a traffic ticket in Sacramento can be confusing and overwhelming, but DoNotPay is here to help.
How to Contest a Sacramento Traffic Ticket in Minutes
DoNotPay was founded as a way for people to fight unfair parking tickets. By using an artificial intelligence lawyer bot, we have successfully saved people over $3 million in parking ticket fees, as confirmed by Business Insider. We have since expanded our services a great deal, including fighting traffic citations.
To get started in fighting your , simply follow these five easy steps:
- Log-in to DoNotPay and go to the Ticket Disputes category. Select the correct product based on your traffic ticket.
- Upload a photo of your citation.
- Provide us with some details on why you believe the citation issued is a mistake.
- Select whether or not you want the letter mailed to the traffic ticket issuer on your behalf!
- That’s it! You’ll receive an appeal letter that contains state vehicle codes to boost your case.
It's really that simple! Look out for your traffic ticket issuer's response to discover whether you won!
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
You can also use DoNotPay with your other traffic woes anywhere in the States or the UK.
- Fight traffic tickets in New York City
- What happens if you plead not guilty to a traffic ticket?
- Dispute Los Angeles traffic ticket
- Appeal Las Vegas traffic ticket
- Basics of California Traffic Tickets
- How to fight a traffic ticket without a lawyer
From traffic to speeding tickets to other legal issues that you might face DoNotPay is here to help.
- Revocable living trust
- Getting rid of spam mail forever
- Insurance claims
- Find Lost Airport Items
- Compensation for victims of a crime
- Sue in small claims court
- Appeal Banned Account
- Tips on working with customer service
- Create Passport Photos
- Tourist Visa
- Compensation For Robo Calls
- Find lost items
today and get the full service that would help you save time, money, and effort.