What Are My Rights to Buy Council House As an Elderly Tenant

Landlord Protection What Are My Rights to Buy Council House As an Elderly Tenant

What Are My Rights to Buy Council House As an Elderly Tenant

Right To Buy is a scheme that allows long-term tenants to purchase their homes at a discount. Since the introduction of the project in 1980, about 2 million homes have been sold in the last 30 years. Figuring out for an elderly tenant can be a hassle. Read along to find out how DoNotPay can help.

Who Can Purchase a House Under Right To Buy?

To get approval to apply to the Right To Buy program, you must meet the following requirements:

You and a maximum of three family members who want to help you purchase the house must be 18 years of age and older.Yes
You must have been a tenant of a public sector landlord for not less than three years. The years of tenancy do not have to be consecutive.Yes
You must be a council tenant.Yes
Your home should not be sheltered.Yes
You must have no debt issues.Yes
You must not have any active possession orders against you.Yes

How to Apply for Right to Buy Council House for an Elderly Tenant

If you want to apply for the Right to Buy housing scheme, follow these steps:

  1. Download and complete the RTB1 online application form. You can alternatively request your landlord to give you a printed copy.
  2. Print the form, sign it, and send the signed form to your landlord. You should expect a positive or negative response within four weeks.
  3. You should expect an offer from your landlord if they wish to sell. They must send the offer within eight weeks of agreeing to sell if you are purchasing a freehold property, or 12 weeks if you are purchasing a leasehold property.

What Next After Receiving an Offer?

Once your landlord has accepted your application, they will communicate the following in writing:

  1. The amount of money they think you should pay and how they worked out that figure
  2. Estimates of what you will pay as service charges for the next five years
  3. A detailed description of the property
  4. Any problems with the property

If you are satisfied with the landlord's terms, you should accept the offer within 12 weeks. If you disagree with the terms of the agreement, please write back to your landlord within three months and request to carry out an independent valuation.

Will I Be Subject to Extra Charges?

In addition to the money used to purchase your home, you must be prepared for additional costs, such as:

  • Contents insurance
  • Council tax
  •  Buildings insurance
  • Mortgage
  • Water charges
  • Costs of repairs and maintenance

And so many more additional hidden costs. To be on the safe side, you should talk to a Financial Adviser before purchasing your house. If you want to buy your house on a mortgage, you should contact mortgage lenders early to ensure they are willing to finance you to purchase your home.

Will I Pay for Applying for Right To Buy?

Applying for Right To Buy is free. However, you may incur additional charges if you decide to move forward with the purchase, such as:

  • Surveyor's fees
  • Stamp duty fees
  •  Land registration fees
  •  Solicitor's fees

How Do Right to Buy Discounts Work?

The amount of discount you receive will be influenced by several factors, for example:

  • How long you have been a tenant
  • The value of the property
  • The type of the property

Can I Change My Mind After Submitting My Application?

Yes, you can withdraw your application anytime before completing your purchase. You can reapply at any time in the future.

How Can DoNotPay Help

If you want to sign up for the Right To Buy a council house, there are many things to take into consideration to qualify for the purchase. The process is time-consuming and draining. What is more, it can be more challenging when dealing with an elderly tenant. This is why you should let DoNotPay help you with your application.

If you want to get approval for Right To Buy council house for an elderly tenant but do not know where to start, DoNotPay can help you in 4 easy steps:

  1. Search for and open the Landlord Protection product on DoNotPay.


  2. Select which issue applies to you.


  3. Answer a simple set of questions so our chatbot can collect the necessary information to create your demand letter.


  4. Choose whether you want DoNotPay to send the demand letter to your landlord or roommate on your behalf. If you already tried sending a demand letter and it didn't work, we can help you start the small claims court process.


And that's it! You should hear back from your landlord directly once your demands are sent.

DoNotPay can also help you with the following:

Other Amazing Services From DoNotPay

DoNotPay has many other great services to offer you, such as:

And so much more! What are you waiting for?  with DoNotPay today to get started.

Want your issue solved now?