How to Get a Restraining Order in Denver the Easy Way
When someone is stalking you, harassing you, or threatening you, or has engaged in dangerous or threatening behavior toward you in the past, you may need to secure a restraining order. In the middle of a stressful time, however, you may find it very difficult to get a restraining order on your own, especially if you aren't sure about your next steps.
DoNotPay can make it easier for you to .
Restraining Orders in Denver: The Basics
Restraining orders can be issued for a variety of reasons, usually as a strategy to help protect victims from the actions of a harasser or abuser. They can be issued because of:
- Active violence
- Domestic violence
A restraining order legally imposes several key restrictions on the person against whom it is issued. It:
- Prevents that person from contacting you directly.
- Prevents that person from contacting you through an outside individual, including friends and family members.
- Prevents that person from coming near you, including requiring them to leave a shared property or residence.
- May prevent the other person from owning or possessing a firearm throughout the course of the order.
A restraining order is a court-ordered protection that can be issued for up to five years, depending on the type of violation. In some cases, you can have an order extended for up to ten years in the case of violations of that initial restraining order. Generally, filing for a restraining order is free.
How to Obtain a Restraining Order in Denver
In order to obtain a restraining order in Colorado, you may need to follow several critical steps.
- Get all the necessary forms and fill them out.
- Sign a verified complaint or motion for the protection order, then submit them to the clerk.
- The court will notify the other party of your intent.
- You will have a court hearing, after which the restraining order may be issued.
Getting a restraining order can feel incredibly frustrating, especially in the middle of an already difficult situation. You may need to collect a great deal of evidence, including:
- Information about the threat issued by the other party or violence already committed by the other party.
- Proof of the likely danger of further abuse or harassment, without the court-issued order.
- Evidence of the other party's identity and where they can be found, if you have that information.
You may find yourself having to wade through complicated documentation and struggling to get it all filled out. If you fail to fill out that documentation correctly, the restraining order may not be issued, and you might have to start all over again.
What Qualifies for a Restraining Order in Denver?
In Denver, there are several actions that can qualify you for a restraining order.
|Action||Purpose of Restraining Order|
|Stalking||Used when the other party attempts to follow you or engages in regular, unwanted contact, including trying to get in contact with you after you have explained your lack of interest.|
|Sexual Assault||Used for victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual violence.|
|Physical Harm/Threats||Used when you have suffered violence or threats of violence at the hands of another party.|
|Elder/At-Risk Adult Abuse||Used when someone over the age of 65, or under the age of 65 with qualified disabilities, suffers neglect or abuse at the hands of another party.|
What Happens If You Violate a Restraining Order in Denver?
Violating a restraining order can lead to severe consequences. It can, depending on the severity of the violation, mean:
- 30 days or more in jail
- Fines and fees
You may also find that if the other party violates the order of protection, the court will extend the order of protection, giving you more freedom from the other party's dangerous or threatening actions.
How DoNotPay Can Help You Pursue a Restraining Order in Denver
Are you struggling to figure out how to fill out the information required for a restraining order in Denver? Do you need help getting the process started? DoNotPay can make it easier.
- Search for relationship protection on DoNotPay.
- Answer a few easy questions on our File a Restraining Order product.
- Submit the form and you're done!
And that's it! DoNotPay will compile for you the forms you need to fill out and give you detailed instructions for how to file for a restraining order in your jurisdiction. Stay safe!
What Else Can DoNotPay Help With?
DoNotPay can help you take care of a variety of tasks, whether you're struggling to deal with the aftermath of domestic violence or simply trying to make your life easier. Not only can we help you file for a restraining order anywhere from California to Texas or Florida, we can help with:
- Standardized legal documents for a variety of purposes
- Neighborhood complaints
- Stalking and harassment
- And so much more!
Get Started Using DoNotPay to Help You File for a Restraining Order in Denver Today
Do you have questions about how to file for a restraining order in Denver? Are you ready to get started? Use DoNotPay to help you today.