How to Get Rental Assistance in St Louis, Missouri
Are you one of the millions of Americans currently struggling to keep up with housing costs due to unforeseen financial hardships? If you live in St. Louis County but can't pay rent because of emergency expenses, job loss, or health problems, don't give up hope! You might be able to receive monetary support in the form of rental assistance through one or more relief programs available in Missouri. Want to know more?
Households in St. Louis, MO that can’t cover rent payments, rental deposits, or utility bills may be eligible for government-sponsored Emergency Rental Assistance Programs (ERAP). Continue reading to learn more about these St. Louis rental assistance programs, eligibility requirements, the application process, and how DoNotPay can help get you the rent relief you need.
Rental Assistance in St Louis, MO
Financial aid provided for St. Louis rental assistance programs comes directly from The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or its partners. For example, St. Louis County was awarded $29.7 million in funds to assist renters affected by the Covid-19 pandemic thanks to The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021. Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) programs like this are released in waves, according to the availability of these funds. Applications for the City of St. Louis' ERA-1 may have been paused for a surplus of applicants, which will eventually roll over into a future phase of emergency rental assistance known as ERA-2.
If one program happens to be closed, keep checking back for updates, and remember that you can apply to more than one rental relief program. In the City of St. Louis, local non-profits and charity organizations which dedicate themselves to helping needy families may be able to assist you. Housing services for St. Louis residents may also be offered by:
- United Way of Greater St. Louis
- The Salvation Army Greater St. Louis Metropolitan Area
- Catholic Charities of St. Louis
Eligibility Requirements for Rental Assistance in St Louis
Eligibility requirements are established as a way of determining which low-income households are most in need of rental assistance in St. Louis. If you want to know whether you qualify for relief through an ERA program, here's a general outline of prerequisites you should meet:
- Be a resident of Missouri, renting your primary residence (or applying for a previous address). You can apply for rent, utility relief, or both.
- Prove household estimated income is at or below 80 percent of the area median income (AMI).
- Qualify for unemployment or have experienced financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Before applying for rental assistance, be sure to gather some of the following documentation and resources you may need:
- Official government-issued ID
- Proof of residency in St. Louis, MO
- Social security numbers of all household members
- A copy of your lease
- The eviction notice copy or demand for payment
- Document of COVID-related financial distress (unemployment letter, invoice for increased expenses, etc.)
- Income documentation (Paystub, W-2, bank receipts, etc.)
- The landlord's contact information
How to Apply for Rent Relief in St. Louis, MO
Short-term rental assistance for Missouri renters may be available through a charity, non-profit, or federal organization. Before you rack your brain looking for various kinds of assistance on your own, DoNotPay can help do some of the work for you. We've chosen two of the biggest rental housing assistance programs offered in the state of Missouri for St. Louis residents affected by COVID-19:
- The St. Louis County Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)
- The State Assistance for Housing Relief (SAFHR) program offered by the Missouri Housing Development Commission
If you're ready to apply for rental relief through one of these programs on your own, we've provided you with more information in the table below, including links to start your application online.
|Name of Program||Type of Aid||Phone Number||Email Address||Application Link|
|The St. Louis County Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)||Rent
|Missouri State Assistance for Housing Relief (SAFHR)||Rent
Applying for rental assistance on your own, gathering documents, and filling out forms can be a long and tedious process from start to finish. It can be doubly so if you don't have regular access to the internet or a reliable email address, in which case you should be prepared to spend many hours on the phone. Rather than live in fear that your attempts to secure rental assistance in St. Louis will fail, consider automating the entire process with DoNotPay.
How to Apply for Rental Assistance in St Louis, MO With the Help of DoNotPay
When you're at the point of qualifying for emergency rental assistance in St. Louis, Missouri, chances are you've already been living through a difficult time of your life. There's no reason to turn the act of getting help into another ordeal when there's an easier way with DoNotPay. Let us help you find the rental assistance you need in four simple steps:
- Search for Rental Assistance on DoNotPay.
- Put together a list of your income, debts, expenses, and assets. If you need help accessing information like your credit report, DoNotPay can help you get your report.
- Let DoNotPay collect your basic information and compose a letter to your local housing authority requesting rental assistance.
- Lastly, DoNotPay will send your letter to your local housing authority.
Once DoNotPay submits a letter on your behalf requesting options for rental assistance, you can regroup and focus on more pressing matters. Your local housing authority should follow up with more information via email, and you can pursue the recommended relief option.
Why Use DoNotPay to Seek Rental Assistance in St. Louis, MO?
Taking advantage of DoNotPay's Rental Assistance product is a no-brainer to anyone in St. Louis, Missouri looking for a simple and effective solution for getting help quickly. Our clients love using our services for these three reasons:
- Easy – Our automated systems are a breeze to navigate, so you don't have to fumble through a confusing application procedure.
- Fast – Filling out multiple forms is a headache and takes forever. You provide your details to DoNotPay in one place, and we provide solutions in a snap.
- Successful – Put your mind at ease knowing DoNotPay will make the best case for you, boosting your chances of getting approved for the relief you seek.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Besides assisting you with rent relief in St. Louis, MO, DoNotPay offers a whole slew of solutions for other dilemmas or problems you might run across. If you're looking for more ways to make your life easier, you might find our services intriguing and useful.
- How to Sue Anyone in Small Claims Court
- How to File a Complaint Against Any Company
- How to Get Help Paying Your Bills
- How to Reduce Your Property Taxes
- How to Schedule Appointments with the DMV
- How to Find Unclaimed Money