Easy Way to Register to Vote in New Jersey
The right to vote in elections is one that should be taken advantage of by every eligible citizen of the United States. However, before you can vote in any election, you must register to vote for the state in which you live.
Registering to vote may seem like a laborious task to someone who has never done it before, but the process is often straightforward once you are pointed in the right direction.
If you want to register to vote in New Jersey, there are multiple resources available to help you do so. At DoNotPay, we want the voter registration process to go as simply as possible so we can help our customers quickly and successfully exercise their right to vote. This DoNotPay guide will help you understand more about registering to vote in New Jersey, as well as offer an alternative to trying to figure out how to do it on your own.
Who Is Eligible to Register to Vote in New Jersey?
There are very few restrictions in place that would prevent a New Jersey resident from voting. You are eligible to register to vote in New Jersey if you:
- Are a United States citizen
- Are a resident of a New Jersey county for at least 30 days before the election
- Are at least 17 years old, and will be 18 by the time of the election you plan to vote in
- Are not currently serving a sentence as the result of a conviction of certain disqualifying offenses.
Fortunately, you only need to register to vote one time. However, you will need to update your registration any time you move, change your name, or change your political party.
How Do I Register to Vote in New Jersey?
There are currently three ways to register to vote in New Jersey. Your options for registering are:
- Online - In order to register online, you will need your date of birth, as well as a form of identification such as a valid driver's license or your social security number. You can register to vote online.
- By mail - If you choose to register to vote by mail, you must print out a voter registration application form, fill it out, and mail it back to your County Commissioner of Registration or Superintendent of Elections for your specific county.
- In-person - Each county in New Jersey has different information on how to register to vote in person based on which county you live in. To register to vote in person in New Jersey, you must contact your local elections office for their current voter registration guidelines.
New Jersey Voter Registration Deadlines
In New Jersey, there are deadlines for when you need to be registered to vote in order to vote in upcoming elections. Because there is no election day registration in New Jersey, you want to be sure your registration is complete by the deadline. Remember to give yourself ample time to register, especially if you plan to register by mail.
|Method of Registration||Deadline|
|Online||21 days before Election Day|
|By Mail||Must be received 21 days before Election Day|
|In-Person||21 days before Election Day|
At DoNotPay, we understand how time-consuming the voter registration process can be. To save you time and energy, DoNotPay offers the Voter Registration product, which can help you complete the process of registering to vote in New Jersey from the comfort of your home without adding any unnecessary steps.
DoNotPay Can Help You
If you are a New Jersey resident wishing to register to vote for the first time but you don't know where to start, we've got your covered. DoNotPay can get you started with these 4 simple steps:
- Search "voter registration" on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to register to vote, change your voter information, cancel your registration, or verify your registration.
- Enter the state you want to register in (or are registered in) and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements. Answer a few questions about you to help us verify your identity and complete your application.
- Provide your signature and verify that your information is correct.
And that's it! DoNotPay will make sure your registration changes get sent to the right office, and your registration status is updated accordingly. Whether you need to register to vote, cancel your registration, update your registration information, or check your voter status, DoNotPay can help you get the job done.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
DoNotPay is in the business of taking the hard work out of everyday tasks and simplifying our customers' lives. Our products are designed to quickly and successfully tackle all kinds of issues.
DoNotPay can help you:
- Address stalking and harassment
- Pay less in property taxes
- File neighbor complaints
- Learn more about your local mailing service
- File insurance claims
- Pay your bills on time
- Find lost items
- File a complaint against any company
- Reach a divorce settlement agreement
- Write a child travel consent letter
- Cancel any subscription or service
- Get compensation for canceled flights
Sign up for DoNotPay and get started today!