How to Register to Vote in Massachusetts
Are you ready to exercise your voting rights and need to learn how to register to vote in Massachusetts? We're here to help you understand the voter registration process. Not only explain it, but show you a better, hassle-free way to register to vote.
Qualifications for Voter Registration in Massachusetts
When registering to vote you need to make sure that you qualify and are able to exercise your right to vote. There is no need to register each year unless there has been a change in information. Let's look at the qualifications to be registered as a voter and what can prevent you from voting.
A Voter MUST:
- Be 18 or older.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Claim Massachusetts as your legal residence.
Things that can PREVENT someone from voting:
- Conviction of corrupt practices in regards to elections.
- Current conviction and incarceration for a felony.
- Under guardianship related to voting.
Students and Residency
Whether you are a college student that resides in another state but is going to school in Massachusetts, or if you live in Massachusetts but chose a campus outside of the state to get your education, you may be confused about residency when it comes to voting. We have some information that can help you figure it all out.
- Students currently in Massachusetts going to college can register to vote either in Massachusetts or your home state.
- You simply register wherever you consider your home to be.
- You cannot register to vote in more than one place.
- If you are a student going to a college outside of Massachusetts, you can still vote in Massachusetts elections by requesting an absentee ballot.
- Requesting an absentee ballot has a deadline of 12 noon on the day before the election.
When you register to vote in the state of Massachusetts, you may select a party that you prefer. This selection will affect which ballots you get in the primary elections. You will only receive the ballots for the party that you have enrolled for.
- If you don't want to indicate a preferred party on your voter registration form, you will be listed as an independent.
- Unenrolled voters can specially request the ballot for either party.
- You can change your party affiliation at least 28 days before the primary election.
Understanding Different Registration Processes
Believe it or not, there are different types of registration when it comes to voting. Depending on your situation, you will need to register accordingly. Each type of registration comes with its own forms, requirements, and deadlines.
- Pre-registration: a person as young as 16 years old can pre-register. It is never too early to register.
- Re-registration: if you have recently moved since the last election or change your name, you will need to re-register in order to vote. Be sure that your driver's license or photo ID has your new name and address on it.
- Unregister: if you are looking to unregister to vote in your location, DoNotPay can assist you with that, too!
Take the Hassle Out of Voter Registration
Voting is one of our rights and should be exercised so we can make a difference in our state and country. However, trying to maneuver through the registration process can be very frustrating and time-consuming. We all lead very busy lives these days, and anything we can do to relieve the pressure of tasks like these can be a huge help.
Did you know that if you don't register by the deadline and do it exactly the way you are supposed to do, then you may be prevented from voting in the next election? DoNotPay has a new voter registration product that can make sure everything is completed properly so you will be ready to go on Election Day!
By following a few simple steps, you will not have to worry about doing something wrong during the registration process or not having it done by the deadline. DoNotPay is a revolutionary platform that helps people complete the voter registration process with ease.
Voter Registration Deadlines in Massachusetts
The last day of voter registration depends on the method used.
|Online||20 days before Election Day|
|By Mail||Must be postmarked 20 days before Election Day|
|In-Person||20 days before Election Day|
Register to Vote Using DoNotPay
There is a new voter registration product that makes the process stress-free. All you need to do is follow the simple steps below in order to take the guesswork and the hassle out of registering to vote. If you have a few minutes to spare, it will be more than enough to allow DoNotPay to take care of this issue for you.
Here’s how it works:
- Search "voter registration" on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to register to vote, change your voter information, cancel your registration, or verify your registration.
- Enter the state you want to register in (or are registered in) and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements. Answer a few questions about you to help us verify your identity and complete your application.
- Provide your signature and verify that your information is correct.
A few minutes is all it takes for the voter registration process to be completed without any of the usual frustration you may experience by doing it on your own. This user-friendly platform is designed to make life easier for you.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Helping you register to vote in Massachusetts is just one of the many things DoNotPay can help you with.
DoNotPay can assist you with the following:
- How to file an insurance claim
- How to reduce your property taxes
- Acquire a child travel consent
- How to find lost items
- Get help with bills
- Protect yourself from stalking and harassment
- How to cancel subscriptions and free trials
- How to apply for a neighbor complaint
- Handle your mailing service needs
- How to get airline flight compensation fast
- How to file a complaint against any company
- Solve your divorce settlement agreement