How to Register as a Voter in TN
Voting is a crucial part of your democratic process in Tennessee. For you to participate in the process, however, you must officially be registered to vote in TN. By registering, you get a real opportunity to exercise your democratic rights, prevent ineligible individuals from voting as well as hinder multiple voting.
In case you moved from your initial residence address in TN, be sure to re-register again to update your data, since where you are registered determines where you can vote. By doing so, you allow the TN government to conduct fair elections by allowing only the eligible voters to vote.
At DoNotPay, we understand how the registration process can sometimes be and are thus focused on helping you complete your voter registration in TN in a few minutes. We can as well help you to unregister as a voter, check whether you are registered as a voter, know the last day of voter registration as well as, among other things.
Who Is Eligible to Register as a Voter in TN?
To register to vote in TN, you must:
- Be an authorized citizen of the U.S.
- Be a resident of TN.
- Have a minimum of 18 years before the following election.
- Not be convicted with felony and, if so, should have received a pardon or the full citizenship rights restored.
- Not be adjudged incompetent by any court.
To register as a voter in TN, you need:
- A Tennessee driver's license accompanied by your photo
- S. Passport
- A photo ID given out by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security
- the United States Military photo ID
- A photo ID given out by Tennessee or the federal state government.
- Tennessee handgun carries permit together with your photo
How to Register to Vote in TN
If eligible, there are various ways to register as a voter in TN, including:
You can use online voter registration to effectively register to vote in TN or to update your voter registration.
2. Via mail
You can also download as well as fill out the Voter Registration Application and then mail it to your county's election commission.
You can pick up registration applications in person at the locations listed here:
- County Clerk's Offices
- Public Libraries
- Register of Deeds Offices
- County Election Commission Office
Or using the following agencies
- Department of Health (WIC program)
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Safety (DMV)
- Department of Mental Health
- Department of Veterans Affairs
Voter Registration Deadlines in TN
|Online||Thirty days before Election Day|
|Thirty days before Election Day|
|In-Person||Should be postmarked 30 days before Election Day|
How to Confirm if You’re a Registered Voter in TN
To confirm whether you're registered to vote in TN, you can use the GoVoteTN app or the Voter Registration Lookup. If you find no record, you can contact your local county election commission to check your registration status.
How to Unregister as a Voter in TN
Once properly registered in TN, you don't need to register again every year since your registration is permanent. Notwithstanding, if you wish to cancel or unregister yourself as a voter in TN, you may do so by writing a letter to your local county election commission office so that they remove your name from the voting rolls.
Reasons to Unregister a Voter in TN
Apart from being removed at request, here are some more reasons why a voter can be removed from the voting rolls in TN:
- Upon realizing that a voter has had changed their name for 90 days or more, besides by marriage, and they have failed to inform the election commission
- Upon the demise of a voter
- Upon getting information that the voter has been convicted of a crime that makes them ineligible to vote
- Upon notification that the voter has changed their location, or they have registered to vote elsewhere
- When the voter fails to react to a confirmation notice, as well as if the voter has failed to update their registration for 2 successive regular November elections following the exact date that the notice was first sent.
How DoNotPay Helps You to Register as a Voter in TN
If you want to register as a voter in TN but aren't sure of where to begin, DoNotPay has you covered in 4 simple steps:
- Search “voter registration” on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to register to vote, change your voter information, cancel your registration, or verify your registration.
- Enter the state you want to register in (or are registered in) and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements. Answer a few questions about you to help us verify your identity and complete your application.
- Provide your signature and verify that your information is correct.
Other Areas Where DoNotPay Comes in Handy
DoNotPay can help you to solve a broad range of issues within a short time. The services include;
- Formulating financial aid appeal letters
- Looking for missing money
- Canceling subscriptions
- Payday loan consolidation
- And much more!
Sign up on our site today to learn more!