How to Register to Vote in Illinois
Registering to vote in Illinois gives you a chance to participate in the electoral process as well as exercise one of your most basic rights. And although Illinois doesn't have a political party registration system, you can choose one political party ballot to vote or ask for a non-partisan ballot if available during a primary election. You have the free will to change your political party every time in a primary election.
In Illinois, you may register as a voter in person, through online registration, or via the mail. Whichever means you used to register, it's good to ensure that it's before the given deadline. In case you changed your name or moved to another state, you will need to update your voter registration.
At DoNotPay, we can help you to solve the complexities of registering as a voter in Illinois with just a few clicks. We may also help you identify the last day of voter registration in your state, unregister as a voter, and much more.
Who Is Eligible to Register to Vote?
To register to vote in Illinois, you should:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Have a minimum of eighteen years on or before the following/future election
- Be an Illinois resident at most 30 days before the immediate election
- Not claim your right to vote in another place
- Not be serving a sentence of detention in any penal institution due to conviction of any offense
Here is what you need to vote in Illinois:
Identification isn't required to vote at the polls, though you will be required to confirm your signature. If you registered to vote via mail and didn't identify with the registration, you should show a form of ID to vote.
The acceptable forms include:
- Utility bill
- A valid and current photo identification
- Check from the government
- Contract or lease for residence
- Addressed mail or student ID to voter's residence
- Government documents
How to Register to Vote in Illinois
Illinois offers three different options of registering to vote.
1. Online Registration
Online registration is available up to 16 days before the election.
To register online, click here.
2. Registration Through Mail
The registration via mail should be received 27 days before the election.
Send your mail-in registration to your local election authority.
3. Registration in Person
The location available to register can change based on the proximity to the election when you register to vote.
In-person, registration is available in only one location in every county during the election day.
You can find out more through your area election authority.
How to Update Voter Information in Illinois
You can update your registration online, by mail, or by phone. You need to be ready to provide your state ID number or your state driver's license and social security number.
Voter Registration Deadlines in Illinois
|Online||16 days before the Election Day|
|Must be received 28 days before the Election Day|
|In-Person||Available up to as well as on the Election Day|
How to Check Whether You’re Registered to Vote in Illinois
How to Cancel Your Voter Registration in Illinois
You don't need to register every year as a voter in Illinois because your registration is unending. You can, however, cancel your voter registration by sending a signed copy of this form or letter to:
Chicago Election Board
69 W Washington St., Suite 600
Chicago IL 60602
How to Register to Vote in Illinois Using DoNotPay
If you need any help registering as a voter in Illinois, DoNotPay has your back. We care about your voting rights, and that's why we are committed to helping you handle all your voter registration concerns in 4 simple steps:
- Search “voter registration” on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to register to vote, change your voter information, cancel your registration, or verify your registration.
- Enter the state you want to register in (or are registered in) and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements. Answer a few questions about you to help us verify your identity and complete your application.
- Provide your signature and verify that your information is correct.
Other Things That DoNotPay Can Help You Sort Out
Alongside voter registration, DoNotPay can help you solve a broad range of issues. You can find all our app properties by logging into your account through your favorite web browser.
We can help you with:
- Dealing with your credit card issues
- Stopping text spam
- Canceling memberships and subscriptions
- Freeing yourself from mail spam forever
- Getting compensation and refunds for canceled or delayed flights
- Signing up for free trials, which are risk-free
- Suing companies and people in little claims court
- Protecting yourself from all forms of stalking and harassment
Contact us today to get additional details about our numerous world-class services!