How to Register to Vote in Chicago?
Registering as a voter gives you the power to make your own rules by representation and exploit your constitutional rights. All states offer different but elaborate ways of registering as a voter. To further exercise democracy, you are allowed to cancel your voter registration for various reasons.
Registering as a voter in Chicago involves a series of requirements and steps. Missing a single requirement might rob you of a great chance of exercising democracy.
DoNotPay is the perfect solution to all your voter registration woes. Sign up on our website and utilize our voter registration toll to or any other American city.
Who Is Eligible to Register as a Voter in Chicago?
, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Be at least 17 years during registration, and 18 during the coming election
- Have lived in your registered address for at least 30 days before the elections
- Not in prison
- Be a legal U.S. citizen
Note: Free ex-convicts and those under parole or probation are allowed to register as voters, so long as they meet all the other eligibility criteria.
Although elections are held regularly, you do not need to register as a voter every year; unless you want to make changes in your information or have relocated.
How Can I Register to Vote in Chicago?
There are . These include
1. In-Person at Early Voting
You can register as a voter in person at an early voting center. An early voting center allows you to vote before the actual voting day, either by mail or in person. For you to register in an early voting center as a voter, you need to present at least two identification documents.
At least one of the documents you provided must show your current residence address.
You can also register to vote in person at the Illinois Secretary of State's Office if you're also applying for a new driver's license or state ID during that visit.
2. By Mailing Your Application
To register as a voter in Chicago through the mail, download and fill in the application form, print, sign and deliver it to your local election offices. You do not need an identification document unless it is your first time registering as a voter.
3. With a Deputy Registrar
You can scout for a deputy registrar by contacting political parties or civic organizations near you. To register with the deputy registrar, you need to provide two identification documents, with one indicating your current address.
4. At Your Precinct Polling Place on Election Day
If you wait till the last day of registering as a voter, you can register at the polling station dictated by your residence address on the day of voting. You will need to prove your identity by presenting two identification documents, one of which shows your residence address.
5. Online Application
To register online as a voter in Chicago, visit the official Chicago elections website and follow the steps as indicated. You will have to provide a copy of your driving license or national ID to register as a voter online.
The following are the acceptable forms of identification documents acceptable while registering as a voter in Chicago:
- Passport or Military ID
- Driver's License or State ID card
- College/University/School/Work ID
- Vehicle registration card
- Lease, mortgage, or deed to a home
- Credit or debit card
- Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid card
- Insurance card
- Civic, union, or professional membership card
- LINK/Public Aid/Department of Human Services card
- Illinois FOID card
Other documents that can be used in place of the identification documents are:
- Utility, Medical or Insurance Bill
- Bill, Transcript or Report Card from School
- Bank Statement, Pay Stub, or Pension Statement
- Official mail from any government agency
Voter Registration Deadlines in Illinois
|Online||16 days before Election Day|
|Must be received 28 days before Election Day|
|In-Person||Available up to and including on Election Day|
How Do I Cancel Voter Registration in Chicago?
If you are a registered voter and would like to unregister or , you need to download the voter registration cancellation form, sign it, and fill it out. Alternatively, you can write a letter explaining your case.
Mail the signed letter or the filled-out cancellation form to
Chicago Election Board
69 W Washington St., Suite 600
Chicago IL 60602
You can also apply for the cancellation of voter rights of a deceased person through email. Send an email containing the following information to the Chicago election registration email:
- The full name
- Registration address
- Birth year
- Any other identifying information of the deceased
The election board will review your application and retrieve the voter information from the Illinois Vital Records System and cancel the registration.
Register as a Voter in Chicago With the Help of DoNotPay
The process of registering as a voter involves a series of steps, and if you miss one, you might not be able to exercise your democratic rights. DoNotPay is here to help you eliminate these errors and easily register as a voter or check your registration status in Chicago without a hassle.
All you have to do is
- Search “voter registration” on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to register to vote, change your voter information, cancel your registration, or verify your registration.
- Enter the state you want to register in (or are registered in) and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements. Answer a few questions about you to help us verify your identity and complete your application.
- Provide your signature and verify that your information is correct.
And that's it. DoNotPay will make sure your registration changes get sent to the right office and your registration status is updated accordingly.
Other Services From DoNotPay
DoNotPay is your all-rounded friend. We offer you fast, safe and convenient solutions to all your legal and administrative problems. Other than helping you , we can help you with:
- Getting compensation for delayed or canceled flights
- Appealing parking tickets
- Dealing with bills you are unable to pay
- Protecting yourself from stalking and harassment
- Getting refunds and chargebacks from companies
- Skipping the phone queue when getting in touch with customer service reps
Sign up on our website to enjoy these services and more today!