How to Register to Vote in California
To protect your voting rights in California, you must first register to vote. Voters must be aware of their rights and obligations and be sufficiently knowledgeable and informed about the process of registration. Many people find it difficult to register as a voter, but DoNotPay is here to help you understand the proper procedure for becoming a voter in California.
Eligibility to Register As a Voter in California
The following requirements are needed when registering to vote in California:
- Should be a citizen of the United States and a Californian
- On Election Day, you should be eighteen years old
- Not serving a federal or state jail sentence for a felony conviction (People who have been convicted of a crime in California have their voting privileges taken away. Residents' voting rights are immediately restored once they have completed their state or federal jail sentence for a felony conviction)
- Have not been deemed mentally unable to participate in an election by a judge
Registering to Vote in California on Your Own
California voters are allowed to register by mail, in person, or online.
Voter Registration by Mail
When registering by mail, you are required to use California's voter registration form, and you can also request a form at your local library, or U.S. Post Office. Carefully read the instructions and properly input the required details in the form. Send the completed form to the elections authority in your county.
Voter Registration in Person
When registering to vote in person, reach out to your local election office to know when and where to register to vote. When you fail to register to vote after the deadline or update your voter registration information, you can use conditional voter registration as a safety net. They can also use the conditional voter registration process from the day after the deadline until Election Day. Eligible persons should visit their polling station or voting center to register and vote conditionally. These ballots will be processed when the elections office has finished the registration verification procedure.
Online Voter Registration
California allows voters to register to vote online. To utilize California's online voter registration system, you'll require an identity card number or the last four digits of your social security number. Registering by mail can be an option when you don't want to provide authorization to use your digital signature.
How to Update Voter Information in California
Depending on the change you want to make, you can change your voter information by completing a new Voter Registration Card or a Voter Action Request Form. If you are previously registered to vote in California, you can fill out a Voter Action Request Form instead of completing a new Voter Registration Card.
You can make these changes if you want to:
- Add or remove a mailing address, or modify your mailing address
- Change or request your preferred language
- Correct any misspellings or other inaccuracies in your registration
- Cancel voter registration
- Cancel a family member's or household's voter registration
Voter Registration Deadlines in California
In California, the registration deadlines are as follows:
|Online||15 days before Election Day|
|By Mail||Must be postmarked 15 days before Election Day|
|In-Person||Available up to and including on Election Day|
Checking If You're Registered to Vote in California
How to Unregister to Vote in California
California voters can revoke their voter registration through the state election website.
The state has also posted PDF versions of their cancellation forms online, which you may fill out and mail back.
You can unregister as a voter in California if you:
- Change your name
- Want to switch political parties
- Move Within your state
Register to Vote in California With DoNotPay
If you don't know where to begin, DoNotPay can assist you. With just a few clicks, you may register to vote, update your information, cancel your registration, or validate your registration.
All you have to do is:
- Search "voter registration" on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to register to vote, change your voter information, cancel your registration, or verify your registration.
- Enter the state you want to register in (or are registered in) and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements. Answer a few questions about you to help us verify your identity and complete your application.
- Provide your signature and verify that your information is correct.
And that's it! DoNotPay will make sure your registration changes get sent to the right office and update your registration status accordingly.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
We can also help you:
For these and other services, contact us at DoNotPay today!