Get Property Tax Relief in California Stress-Free With DoNotPay
Are your property taxes in the Golden State too high? You should check if you qualify for property tax relief in California. Property tax exemptions can lower your tax bill, which can help you save a significant amount of money on an annual basis.
Determining which exemption you qualify for can be challenging. That’s why DoNotPay has created a feature that will help you lower your property taxes in California in a snap!
A Word or Two About California Property Taxes
Homeowners frequently wonder what influences their property tax bill and what the taxing jurisdiction uses the money for. The property tax rate in California is 0.75%, which is lower than the nation’s average rate of 1,07%. The jurisdiction uses the tax money to invest in important public services, such as:
- Law enforcement
- Road constructions
Property taxes depend on two factors—your home’s assessed value and the county’s property tax rate. Each jurisdiction has an assessor who inspects properties and determines their market value. Once the assessor performs a property assessment, he or she will multiply the assessed value by the county’s property tax rate to calculate the annual bill.
Here’s a short overview of California’s most populated counties and their median property taxes:
|Counties||Median Property Taxes|
How To Lower Property Taxes in CA
Even though California property taxes aren’t as high as taxes in Texas or New Jersey, many homeowners can’t afford to pay them. Even if you lived in Louisiana, Hawaii, or any other state with low property taxes, you could still try to reduce the bill if it poses a burden on your income. These are common strategies that many homeowners use:
- Participating during the assessment to showcase the pros and cons of your property
- Postponing home renovations until after the appraisal to ensure your property taxes don’t increase because of a home improvement
- Applying for property tax exemptions to get a property tax bill reduction
- Reporting inaccuracies in the property tax bill and scheduling a reassessment if necessary
- Filing a property tax appeal if the county refuses to reduce your property taxes even when you qualify for an exemption
Learn About the California Property Tax Relief
The best way to reduce property taxes in California is to apply for one of the following property tax exemptions:
- Homeowners exemption
- Senior citizens exemption
- Veterans exemption
- Disabled veterans exemption
- Family transfers
- Disaster relief
The exemption reduces the first $7,000 of your primary residence’s value, regardless of your income.
Senior Citizens Exemptions
California seniors can apply for three property tax exemptions:
Senior Citizens Exemptions in California
Property Tax Assistance for Seniors
|The exemption applies to the first $34,000 of the home’s assessed value. Eligible individuals will get a reimbursement of a part of their property tax bill||
Property Tax Postponement Program
|Eligible homeowners can postpone paying their taxes. The state will cover the costs until the homeowner in question moves, passes away, or sells the property. The property taxes have to be paid eventually with interest||
Replacement Housing Program
|Homeowners participating in this program can transfer their old home’s value to the new property if:
You will get an exemption of up to $4,000 if you fit in one of these categories:
- Veterans currently serving in a war
- Applicants who have served in a war
- Honorably discharged veterans
- Surviving spouses of eligible veterans who haven’t remarried
- Surviving parents of eligible veterans
Disabled Veterans Exemption
If you’re disabled because of a service-related injury, you can get an exemption higher than $4,000. The exempt amount depends on your age, income, and disability level.
The property you purchase from your kids or parents doesn’t have to undergo a full reassessment.
Has your property been seriously damaged in a disaster? You might be eligible to get an exemption while the property is being repaired.
How To Reduce Property Taxes in California Fast and Easy—With DoNotPay!
California residents who need help paying their property taxes can rely on DoNotPay. We’ve come up with a feature that will help you determine which exemption you qualify for in less than five minutes. We will also generate a personalized guide to make the application as effortless as possible.
To reduce your property taxes in a few clicks, do the following:
- Access your DoNotPay account
- Open our Property Tax feature
- Provide the necessary answers
- Follow the instructions from our guide
You will get all the necessary info in one place, which will make the process super efficient. Our feature will help you lower your property taxes in any state and county, including:
DoNotPay’s Guide To Filing a Property Tax Appeal
Another useful aspect of DoNotPay’s Property Tax feature is our property tax appeal guide. Thanks to our help, you’ll learn how to negotiate with the assessor, which forms to complete, and which evidence to gather to support your appeal.
What Else Can Our Award-Winning App Do for You?
If you think that's impressive, wait until you've heard about other features we boast!
Our legal services have been recognized by the esteemed ABA Brown award, serving as a testament to our abilities to assist you with your small claims issues, free trial auto-renewals, college fee waivers, public records, copyright protection, and much more!
More Benefits of DoNotPay
DoNotPay is a useful tool for handling many otherwise annoying life's trifles, including:
- Setting up DMV appointments without a fuss and fighting unfair parking violations
- Getting refunds for canceled or delayed flights that disrupted your travel plans
- Reaching customer services without listening to the annoying elevator music yourself
- Signing up for free trials without revealing your real credit card info
- Verifying accounts with temporary phone numbers, shielding you from unsolicited spam texts and phishing emails
- Finding the highest-paid clinical trials in your area