Harassed by PRA Group? 3 Easy Steps to Stop Them Now!
Life does not always work out the way we intend. Sometimes we get into debt and can't pay right away due to a change in circumstances, such as a job loss or unexpected expenses. Debt is in collection or overdue when you have not paid in three months. Most companies sell loans to debt collectors at discounted prices. If the is harassing you over a debt, here is how DoNotPay can help. Solving the issue on your own might be overwhelming, but DoNotPay is fully automated, making the process easier.
Who Is 0808 196 5550 and Why Are They Calling Me?
The number 0808 196 5550 belongs to ., one of the UK's largest debt collector companies. This debt collector company is a subsidiary of the PRA Group Inc. founded in 1996 and purchases accounts in default from major financial institutions at a discount. The company then collects these loans for a profit. The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulates the PRA Group.
Like most debt collection companies, the PRA group might call you to:
- Collect payment for the overdue debt
- Validate the debt: Many people in the UK have similar names. PRA Group may call to validate the debt by confirming if you are the owner and not a mistaken identity
- Intimidate you into prompt payment
When debt collectors call, most people's initial reaction is to panic or ignore them. You should never panic, but you should find out more about the debt before paying. It would be best if you do not ignore a debt collector.
As long as you have a pending debt, the company continues sending adverse reports about you to credit companies, lowering your credit report. The more you ignore the issue, the more it becomes worse. The credit company might sue you, and you might lose assets worth the loan if a court passes judgement.
PRA Group Contact Details
If you wish to contact the PRA Group to discuss debt, you can reach them via:
|Contact Mode||Contact Details|
|Phone:||0808 196 5550|
|Postal Address:||PRA Group (UK) Limited, Halo Enterprise & Innovation Centre, Hill Street, Kilmarnock, KA3 1HA|
|Contact Form:||PRA Group Contact Form|
|Complaints Form:||PRA Group Complaints Form|
Is PRA Group a Scam?
The PRA Group is a legitimate debt collection company regulated by the FCA. The company is also a member of the debt collection and purchase industry trade association. The company is also a subsidiary of the PRA Group Inc., a publicly-traded company with over 5,000 employees in Europe and the Americas.
When a debt collector calls you, you need to stay calm and do some due diligence. Ask the collector company to send you a debt validation or "prove it" letter. Do not disclose any information before they validate the debt in writing. The letter must inform you of what the debt was for and when you acquired the debt. Sometimes it could be a case of mistaken identity, and you might pay for a debt you don't owe. Ask the company for their identity, operating licence and confirm with the original creditor if they sold your loan.
Has PRA Group Violated My Rights?
The PRA Group has to abide by the FCA rules, and they may have violated your rights if:
- They visit your home
- They threaten you verbally or physically
- They claim to be bailiffs or court officials
- Contact or harass you via social media
- Make legal threats and say not paying your debts is a crime
- Call you numerous times in a day
- Call you at odd hours, such as the early morning or late into the night
- Discuss your debt with other people
- Fail to inform you they purchased your loan from the original creditor
Alternative Ways to Resolve Customer Service Complaints
Use alternative ways when a debt is in dispute if PRA Group is not willing to discuss the matter or you cannot come to a mutual agreement.
1. ADR- Alternative Dispute Resolution Schemes
You do not have to go to court in a consumer and company dispute.
The types of ADR resolution schemes include:
2. The Financial Ombudsman
The Financial Ombudsman exists to solve consumer complaints against companies, whether public or private. The Ombudsman is independent and must remain unbiased and fair.
Before you report to the Ombudsman, you must ensure:
- You have tried to contact the PRA Group in vain, and it has been over eight weeks
- The PRA Group has decided they cannot solve the matter and have sent you a deadlock letter
After you make a complaint, the Financial Ombudsman should contact you in ten days. Some of the reasons you can report to the Ombudsman include:
- You do not recognize the alleged debt. You have indicated this to the PRA Group, but they won't stop harassing you.
- You dispute the amount.
- The company won't stop calling you, even when the debt is in dispute.
- You are under a financial strain, and PRA Group will not give you a flexible payment plan.
- The debt is older than six years. The Limitations Act 1980 provides creditors with six years to collect debts.
3. Small Claims Court
File a suit with a small claims court. The maximum amount any small claims court can handle in the UK is ten thousand pounds.
How to Pay PRA Group
The PRA group offers numerous payment methods. All you need to do is log in to your PRA account. Your PRA account details and reference number are on any letter they may have sent you.
Here are some of the payment methods available:
- Online: Log in to your account to set up a payment plan. You can make instant payments by paying the entire debt balance or schedule to make one payment when you are ready. Types in the amount you wish to pay and click confirm. Enter your debit card details and click "Make Payment."
- Bank Transfer: Transfer money from your bank into your PRA Group debt account. Remember to indicate your reference number to ensure the money reflects in your account.
- Debit Card: Pay the total amount or make a payment plan for as low as £5 a month
- At the Bank: Deposit a cheque at any Royal Bank of Scotland Bank branch. Make the cheque payable to the PR Group (UK) Ltd.
- Post Office: You can also pay at the post office and request the PRA Group for a customised bank credit slip. The account details are Account Number: 21117336 Sort Code: 16-00-02. Indicate your customer reference number on the back of the cheque.
- Direct debit: Call the PRA Group to set up a direct debit. You can also print a Direct Debit Mandate or complete a mandate at the back of a PRA Group letter. Complete the form and post it to the company.
- Via Post: Send a postal order, bankers draft, or cheque payable to PRA Group (UK) Ltd. Indicate your reference number and address to PRA Group (UK) Ltd, PO Box 444, Bromley, BR1 1ZB
- Payzone: Make a debit card payment at a Payzone outlet. You can find a Payzone outlet at Post Offices that display the Payzone logo. There is a barcode on a PRA Group letter at the bottom right-hand corner of the letter. Present that barcode for your account credit. Ensure you get a receipt.
Get Debt Collection Assistance From DoNotPay
DoNotPay can help determine whether the debt with is legit. If you decide to pursue the matter via alternative methods, DNP assists you in determining whether the PRA Group has followed the law in the payment demands.
Before DNP helps you transition into the next phase, you must answer a few questions. We will contact the PRA Group by sending a demand letter. DoNotPay files complaints about PRA Group on your behalf.
Here is how it works:
- Search “debt collection” on DoNotPay.
- Answer a series of questions about the debt collectors, including when you were contacted and how you were contacted, so we can determine if they have violated any debt collection laws.
- Decide which course of action you want to take based on our guidance, such as filing a debt verification request, demanding for the collectors to stop contacting you, or reporting them to a professional trade association.
DoNotPay also shares detailed information regarding debt recovery and collection.
Some of the information includes:
- Amigo loans refund
- Lowell Financial
- Moorcroft debt recovery
- DWP debt management
- Advantis debt collection
- Provident loans refund
- Marston Group Holdings
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Use DoNotPay for other problems like:
- Get help with bills
- How to schedule a DMV appointment
- How to sue any company in a small claims court
- Free trials
- How to earn airline compensation
- Increase your credit limit
- Contact an Inmate
- How to protect yourself from identity theft
- Filing HR Complaints
today as a revolutionary solution to any legal concerns that you may have.