Postpone Jury Duty—Alameda County Edition
Did a court in Alameda County select you to be a juror? If the timing is inconvenient, you may be wondering—how do I postpone jury duty in Alameda County? Read this easy-to-follow guide, and we’ll show you everything you need to know about postponing this important civic responsibility.
Are you postponing because an employer won’t give you time off? , and we’ll make sure your rights are upheld by sending your employer a bullet-proof jury duty leave request letter!
Jury duty is mandatory for all U.S. citizens, so you can’t skip it or postpone it without a just cause. Ignoring a summons in Alameda County can lead to serious consequences, including a fine of up to:
- $250 for the first offense
- $750 for the second offense
- $1500 for any subsequent offense
If you ignore repeated calls for jury duty, you can face even harsher punishment, such as being:
- Held in contempt of court
- Discharged from service under court-specific conditions
Since jury duty is an essential legal obligation, you have to meet strict criteria to be eligible for deferral or postponement of jury service in Alameda county:
|Criteria for Postponement||Explanation|
|Occupation||Police officers, federal court judges, firefighters, soldiers on active duty, and doctors may request postponement because of the nature of their occupation|
|Medical condition||Mentally or physically disabled citizens are excused due to health issues|
|Childcare and breastfeeding||Breastfeeding mothers and parents with no access to daycare services can defer jury duty indefinitely|
|Financial situation||A court can also postpone your service if doing jury duty would put you in a difficult financial situation|
To request a postponement of jury duty in Alameda County, follow these guidelines:
- Contact the court that has issued you the summons via phone, email, or by visiting the Alameda County eJuror website
- Provide the Participant Number written in your summons
- State your reasons for requesting a postponement and suggest a date that would fit your schedule
- Send the court proof of your reasons (if they require any)
- Check if your postponement request was accepted
Keep in mind that you cannot postpone jury duty more than twice a year.
Courts prohibit bosses from firing employees on jury duty, but they aren’t required to pay them during time off either.
Don’t postpone jury duty out of fear—create a DoNotPay account, and we’ll create a custom leave request letter for your boss! It will notify your employer about your legal responsibilities and specify how long you’ll be absent from work. We can also forward the letter to your boss, or you can print and send it yourself!
To use our product, do the following:
- Search for Request Jury Duty Leave
- Indicate which court summoned you for jury duty
- Upload your summons
If you’re curious to learn more about serving on a jury in California? Check out our extensive knowledge base and get information on:
- The specifics of jury duty in California
- California jury duty dress code
- The frequency of being called for jury duty in California
- The possibility of getting a salary from your employer for doing jury duty in California
What happens if jury duty is postponed by the court? In such cases, know that you will get compensation as if you served. How much you’ll receive depends on the state. In Alameda County, the reimbursement rate is:
- $15 per day of court attendance
- $0.34 per mile
Federal jury duty pay is the same across all states:
- $50 per day of attending court
- $0.56 per mile
Our vast collection of products simplifies various everyday tasks, including:
- Various mailing issues by:
- Applications for:
- Traveling tasks, such as:
- Appeals of:
- Other tasks, such as:
Is a tight budget a constant problem in your household? DoNotPay is here to reduce your expenses and help you get the money others owe you. Our app helps you get refunds from companies, find unclaimed money, cash out old gift cards, and terminate unused subscriptions in a jiffy!