Request Affordable Housing Through Philadelphia Housing Authority

Section 8 Request Affordable Housing Through Philadelphia Housing Authority

Request Affordable Housing Through Philadelphia Housing Authority

Section 8 housing, also called Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, provides financial assistance to people who cannot pay their rent. About 2.1 million people live in Section 8 housing. If you are struggling to pay your rent, you may need to obtain Section 8 assistance through the Philadelphia Housing Authority.

Section 8 is a federal program administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). However, local public housing agencies (PHAs) manage Section 8 applications. Section 8 and other programs provide housing assistance to 9.3 million people. Section 8 public housing, also known as project-based housing, is for low-income individuals or families who cannot find affordable housing. For example, under the Housing Choice Voucher Program, individuals with housing vouchers pay up to 30% of their income towards the rent. The housing authority pays the difference by direct deposit.

In addition, people can choose their type of housing, provided it meets program requirements. These programs exist to help people like you, but it is not always easy to obtain the help you need. DoNotPay can help guide you through the process.

Who Is Eligible for Section 8 Housing?

The Philadelphia Housing Authority prioritizes housing assistance to low-income families, elderly individuals, and disabled persons. The housing authority may temporarily close the Section 8 application process when they have an excessive number of applicants. Those that can apply are put on a waiting list. Eligibility requirements include:

Income LimitsHUD provides the household income limits based on the median income of the metropolitan statistical area (MSA)  and the number of members in a household.
Citizenship StatusYou must be a U.S. citizen or a non-citizen legally living in the U.S. to receive housing choice vouchers. Usually, a declaration of citizenship will meet HUD standards. However, the local housing authority may require further documentation. Typically, each household member must have a Social Security Number (SSN) or proof that they have applied for one.
Family StatusAccording to the Philadelphia Housing Authority, the definition of a family for eligibility purposes includes

  • Two people who prove they are in a stable relationship or two or more people who are related by blood or marriage.
  • A person who is 62 or older or a person with a disability who lives with an aide.
  • A person who is 62 or older or a person with a disability who lives alone.
Background and Eviction HistoryAn applicant must pass a background check. Those with a record of violent crimes, drug-related crimes, or illegal possession of a firearm will not be eligible. In addition, the applicant must have a positive rental history and be in good standing with previous landlords.

Applying for Section 8 on Your Own

When applying, it is essential to provide detailed and accurate answers to all questions listed on the application. You will also need to locate and copy all of the documentation requested. The first step is to find your local housing authority in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Philadelphia Housing Authority2013 Ridge Avenue

Philadelphia, PA 19121

Phone(215) 684-4000
TTYFor any department, use the PA relay system at 1 (800) 654-5984
EmailEmail Address
WebsitePhiladelphia Housing Authority (PHA)

Check whether that particular housing authority is accepting applications. To do that, you must find an open waiting list. Then you must be sure that you qualify and check to see what documents you will need for the application. Depending on where you live, you may be able to apply online, in person, or by mail. The PHA agent may request an interview. However, phone interviews are available in some circumstances.

Complete the Application

To complete an online application, first-time users will have to complete a Personal Identification Number (PIN) registration. In addition, the application will probably ask for supporting documents.

Supporting Documents

Supporting documentation typically includes

  1. A copy of an official, government-issued ID for each household member
  2. Proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or passport
  3. Bank account statements
  4. Proof of income
  5. Copies of tax return
  6. Copies of your current rental agreement

Housing assistance programs are in high demand so you may be placed on a waitlist.

What Happens if Your Application Is Denied?

Applying for public housing or vouchers does not necessarily guarantee approval. You may be disqualified for various reasons, such as

  • Failure to meet the income requirements
  • Failure to meet the citizenship requirements
  • Failure to pass a background check
  • Poor history with prior landlords, or evictions

If you are denied, you will receive a Section 8 denial notice. The notice will include a deadline for filing an appeal. Unfortunately, many people become entangled in the bureaucracy, but help is available.

Let DoNotPay Help Solve Your Issue With Section 8 and the Philadelphia Housing Authority

Navigating the complex web of the housing authority and housing assistance may take more time and endurance than you can afford right now. However, DoNotPay is here to help. We can relieve much of the stress and burden of seeking assistance with your housing needs.

If you want to apply for Section 8 Housing in Philadelphia but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 2 quick and easy steps:

  1. Answer a few questions about your income, family size, veteran/disability status, which county you hope to live in, etc.


  2. DoNotPay will find the PHA in charge of that county and contact them with all of your eligibility information to determine if you can start applying. They'll get back to you directly via email with the next steps.


DoNotPay Works With Many Entities

Many individuals and families move frequently. When facing an unexpected move, you must quickly learn about HUD and low-income housing programs. DoNotPay can help you solve your housing assistance problems with other government programs wherever you find yourself.

DoNotPay Can Help With Various Other Issues

Problems and questions pop up in many areas of our lives. If you need to know about dealing with other situations, DoNotPay probably has the answer. Perhaps you have an issue with:

An unexpected job loss, disability, or injury could leave you struggling to pay the rent. You need answers, and you need them as fast as possible. That's the time to reach out to DoNotPay.

Want your issue solved now?