Start the Process With a Petition for Divorce in Texas
Getting a divorce can cause anxiety and stress, especially if you’re not informed about the options, filing procedures, necessary paperwork, and waiting periods. You should collect the court forms—starting with a petition for divorce in Texas.
Once you gather the right information, you can choose the type of divorce and go through the process fast and without spending lots of money. DoNotPay provides the relevant data and also offers help with part of your paperwork—divorce settlement agreements are our specialty.
- Information on Suit Affecting the Family Relationship
- Final Decree of Divorce
You might also need:
- Civil Case Information Sheet—Check with your county court clerk’s office if you need this form as some don’t require it
- Out-of-State Party Declaration—You’ll need to file this form if your spouse resides outside Texas
- Statement of Inability to Afford Payment of Court Costs—Complete and submit it if you cannot afford the court filing fee
Keep in mind that there are different forms of the Texas original petition for divorce for a divorce with children and with no minor children.
To check whether you can file for a friendly divorce, take a look at the following table:
|Meet the Requirements||Additional Information|
|Fulfill the residential criteria||You or your spouse must:
|Reach an out-of-court settlement||You need to agree with your spouse on all divorce aspects, such as:
Once you negotiate the terms, you should state all the agreed matters in a divorce settlement agreement
|State the grounds for divorce||You can use the following no-fault grounds for divorce:
|File and serve the papers||Once you fill out the court forms and prepare additional documentation, you need to file them with your county court and have your spouse served using one of the following allowed methods:
Keep in mind that your spouse could also waive their right to be served with the divorce papers by signing a waiver of service in front of a notary
One of the many advantages is that you can file for an uncontested divorce alone, i.e., you don’t have to appoint a lawyer.
You don’t need to hire a costly attorney to fill out the original petition for divorce and other court forms for you. You can complete and file the required paperwork on your own by:
- Downloading the available forms from the Texas Courts website
- Using instructions and toolkits provided on the website
You need to create a divorce settlement agreement since you should have all the agreed-upon terms in the written form. This document must be thorough and properly drafted to meet legal requirements.
To prepare a divorce settlement agreement, you could consider the following options:
- Appoint a lawyer—While any divorce attorney can prepare all documentation and handle the whole process for you, keep in mind that this legal service will increase the cost of your divorce significantly
- Use online divorce services—If you choose to use online templates, you should inspect them carefully since some are too general and might not comply with your state and county laws
- Register for DoNotPay—We ensure your divorce settlement agreement meets all legal requirements and covers the specifics of your case. On top of it all, our app can deliver the required document super fast
DoNotPay gathers data about current state laws across the USA. We use this information to generate rock-solid divorce settlement agreements you can get in a flash!
Judge for yourself how simple it is. Here’s what you should do—sign up for DoNotPay and take the following steps:
- Locate the Divorce Settlement Agreement feature
- Provide information about your situation and the agreement you’ve reached with your spouse
- Let us know if you’d like to have the document notarized
What’s next? File the agreement with the court and wait for the judge to approve it.
DoNotPay provides lots of helpful guides. Check out the following table to see some of the questions we've already answered:
|General Divorce Questions||Texas-Specific Questions||Divorce Procedures in Texas Counties and Cities|
|What are the specifics of divorce procedures in the following counties:
What about these two cities:
We are dedicated to providing solutions to difficult and time-consuming tasks you may have on your to-do list. If you are struggling to reduce your monthly bills, contest parking tickets, or set DMV appointments, DoNotPay will help you do it in no time!
We have also created numerous easy-to-use features that can make the following procedures run smoothly:
- Getting rid of email and text spam
- Skipping phone queues when contacting any company’s customer service
- Requesting a return of purchased goods that didn’t meet your expectations
- Entering any sweepstake
- Filing FOIA requests
- Composing legal documents, such as powers of attorney or child travel consent forms
- Taking and editing your passport photos
Do you feel like you have been played by a company? Instead of wasting your time writing requests, demand a chargeback or refund or claim a warranty via DoNotPay! If the company doesn’t seem too cooperative and keeps refusing to return your money, our app can assist you in suing it in small claims court.