All You Need to Know About Paper Application for Citizenship

Naturalization and Citizenship Certificate All You Need to Know About Paper Application for Citizenship

Paper Application for Citizenship Certificate

If you're a naturalized immigrant to this country, you know how hard you had to work to obtain your U.S. citizenship. But what would happen in the unfortunate event that you lost your citizenship papers or needed to replace them for some other reason? You would certainly want to request a replacement certificate as soon as possible.

Did you know that it's possible to request a replacement document using a paper application for citizenship? It's not always a terribly easy process, but DoNotPay is here to break it down for you.

Why Might I Need a US Citizenship Certificate Replacement?

There are many reasons why you might one day need a replacement certificate of naturalization or citizenship. These include the following:

  • Your certificate was lost, stolen, or destroyed.
  • Your certificate was damaged or mutilated.
  • Your name has changed since the document was issued.
  • The certificate contains incorrect information.

What Happens if My US Citizenship Certificate Was Lost, Stolen, or Damaged?

If you lost your U.S. citizenship certificate, you will need to complete Form N-565 in order to request a replacement. This replacement document will be necessary to prove your citizenship or naturalization when such needs arise, such as for employment or federal benefits.

Who May File Form N-565?

Form N-565 should only be filed when a citizenship or naturalization certificate needs replacing. It is not intended as a form to apply for citizenship. You may submit a request for certificate replacement if:

  1. You received a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Declaration of Intention, or Repatriation Certificate that was lost, stolen, destroyed, or damaged;
  2. You received a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Declaration, or Repatriation Certificate that is incorrect due to typographical/clerical error by USCIS;
  3. Your name was changed by marriage or by court order after the document was issued and you request a document in your new name;
  4. You received your Certificate of Citizenship and later you obtained a court order or a state-issued document that changes your date of birth and you seek a certificate with the new date of birth;
  5. You were issued a Certificate of Citizenship or a Certificate of Naturalization and your change of gender is legally recognized through a court order, a government-issued document, or a medical certification; or
  6. You are a naturalized citizen seeking a special certificate of naturalization for the purpose of a foreign country recognizing you as a citizen of the United States

How Do I Submit Form N-565

You can submit Form N-565 through the following options:

Apply OnlineOne way to submit your Form N-565 is to complete the form online. If you file online, you can check your case status, upload corrected information, and more. Of course, filing online can also make you feel that you are on your own when questions emerge. There's also a risk that you might complete the form incorrectly, which could delay or even derail your request.
Apply With a Paper ApplicationIf you do not have internet access, you can also call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 and ask that they mail you a form.  For TTY (deaf or hard of hearing) call: 1-800-767-1833.

When submitting your application, you also need to include:

  • Different forms of evidence depending on your reason for the application and type of certificate
  • A payment of $555
  • Additional forms if you want to pay by card, want to receive an e-notification, or are working with an attorney.
  • Two copies of printed 2x2 passport-style photos with your application.

Sorting out the different forms required for each individual situation can be quite time-consuming.

Where Do I Mail Form N-565?

Where you mail your Form N-565 will depend on the carrier that you choose. The address for those using the United States Postal Service differs from the address used for other delivery services. Below you can find the appropriate address for your paper application for citizenship:

USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

  • U.S. Postal Service (USPS):


Attn: N-565

P.O. Box 20050

Phoenix, AZ  85036-0050

  • FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:


Attn: N-565 (Box 20050)

1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S

Ste. 100

Phoenix, AZ 85034-4850

How Can DoNotPay Help Me Replace My US Citizenship Certificate?

As you can see, there's a lot involved in requesting a replacement U.S. citizenship certificate. It's easy to miss an important step or to forget to include all the necessary documentation. Luckily, DoNotPay can help you stay on track.

If you want to replace USCIS-issued naturalization or citizenship certificates but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in easy steps:

  1. Search "naturalization certificates" (or "USCIS") on DoNotPay.


  2. Select the document you are applying for, and the reason why you need a replacement.


  3. Tell us more about the original certificate, including the certificate number, when it was issued, and the details of the person it was issued to. Upload evidence files to support your claims.


  4. Enter the contact information for any preparers and interpreters that helped with the application. Select whether you want to pay the application fee by check or credit card.


  5. Indicate whether you would like to receive a digital copy of your forms or have us mail them to you.


Why Use DoNotPay for My Citizenship Documentation Needs? 

DoNotPay will spell out for you exactly what you need to do for your particular documentation situation, saving you from possible missteps in figuring it out yourself. DoNotPay makes the process much smoother and frees you from unnecessary headaches. It's:

  • Fast - You don't have to spend hours trying to replace your US Citizenship certificate.
  • Easy - You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in replacing your certificates.
  • Successful - You can rest assured knowing we'll make the best case for you.

Check out DoNotPay today to learn about all the ways it can assist you. 

Want your issue solved now?