How to Get a Palo Alto Building Permit Easily With DoNotPay
If you have your sight set on finishing your basement, tearing out a wall to expand your living space, adding a new bathroom, enclosing your garage, or building an expansive wraparound porch, you need to make sure you have the right building permits. No matter what renovation project you have in mind, DoNotPay can help you understand how to quickly get a .
When Is a Building Permit Necessary in Palo Alto?
There are many types of projects that require a building permit, including:
- Building a new structure
- demolishing an entire structure
- re-roofing a structure
- An addition
- A remodel
- Pool or spa (new or demo)
How to Get a Palo Alto Building Permit on Your Own
If you are wondering how to get a building permit in the city of Palo Alto, there is a detailed process you must follow. You must register for an online account, go through a Pre-Application process, and then you can advance to the Application process.
1. Create an Online Permitting Services (OPS) Citizen Portal Account
There are videos that can walk you through how to register and create an account, but if you have problems or questions, you set up an appointment or call (650) 329-2441 to have them set up an appointment for you.
2. Submit a Pre-Application
Pre-Applications for a Palo Alto building permit must be submitted through the online portal. All applications go through this "First Phase" process. Staff will review your application for completeness and accuracy to make sure your project is ready to be reviewed before advancing to a "formal review" phase.
3. Be Prepared With Correct Applications, Documents, Plans
As you advance to the formal review, you need to make sure you have all required documentation, applications, forms, and plans as required. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Architectural drawings
- Structural Drawings
- Mechanical Plan
- Electrical Plan
- Plumbing Plan
- Demolition Plan
- 2 copies of structural calculations
- 3 copies of soil reports
- Planning Entitlement Approval Letter
- Homeowners Association approval letter
If one or more of the required items are not submitted correctly, the application is considered incomplete and can be denied. If this entire process seems time-consuming, tedious, or overwhelming, DoNotPay has an alternative solution.
How to Apply for a Palo Alto Building Permit Quickly With the Help of DoNotPay
DoNotPay knows that researching building permit laws and ordinances, figuring out which forms to fill out, getting HOA approval, and all the other steps involved in getting a building permit can be confusing and overwhelming. DoNotPay's Planning Permissions service exists to reduce the time you spend and the stress you exert on obtaining building permits.
If you want to get a without the hassle, DoNotPay has you covered in 6 easy steps:
- Go to the Planning Permissions product on DoNotPay.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Check whether your project needs a building permit or if it's exempt
- Generate a permission request letter to send to your HOA
- Generate a guide on how to complete the building permit application
- Choose the focus of your project (new ADU, pool, shed, fence, etc.) and answer a few questions about your plans, including the size of the structure and estimated cost.
- Indicate whether you're hiring a contractor and include the estimated start date and the timeline for the project.
- Indicate whether any public sidewalk/street space will be used during construction.
- And that's it! DoNotPay will help guide you through the building permit process by checking if your project needs a building permit, contacting any HOAs you're a part of to request building permission, or generating detailed instructions on how to start and complete your building permit application process.
Why Use DoNotPay to Help You With Your Building Permits?
DoNotPay understands that your time is valuable and that researching and applying for building permits is extremely time-consuming. DoNotPay 's Planning Permissions takes the hassle out of the entire process.
|Fast||Instead of researching ordinances, spending precious time scheduling appointments because you don't understand the laws, or making HOA appeals, we do it for you.|
|Easy||You simply give us your project details and we do the research and help you through the process.|
|Successful||We free up your time, and you still get what you need as we help you through the entire process.|
DoNotPay Can Help You With All Types of Permits and Permissions
DoNotPay can do more than just help you apply for Palo Alto building permits. We help with HOA approvals if you need them. If you have a house in another city or county that needs remodeling, whether it is Los Angeles, Chicago Palm Beach County, or Sarasota County, we can help. Our services extend across the country.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do for You?
DoNotPay has the experience to help you with more than just building permits. We provide a variety of services that can help you solve many problems, including: