A Guide to Getting a PA Property Tax Rebate for Seniors
Whoever owns a home in the U.S. needs to pay annual property taxes. Local governments invest the tax money in beneficial services such as healthcare, fire department, and law enforcement.
The average property tax rate in the U.S. is 1.07%. Pennsylvania has one of the highest rates in America (1.50%), and people with low incomes struggle to pay their annual property tax bill. That’s why Pennsylvania decided to use the casino gambling revenue and create the Property Tax/Rent Rebate program for senior and disabled citizens.
If you’re looking for a way to enroll in the program or lower your property taxes in some other way, you’re in the right place.
Who Qualifies for Pennsylvania Property Tax Rebate for Seniors?
If you live in Pennsylvania and your property tax is too high, you should check if you’re eligible to enroll in the Property Tax/Rent Rebate program. The program is designed to help eligible senior and disabled citizens pay their property taxes by granting partial refunds every year.
To qualify for the rebate program, you need to be a Pennsylvania resident who fulfills one of the following age and income requirements:
Homeowners Income Requirements ($35,000 limit)
|$0 to $8,000||$650|
|$8,001 to $15,000||$500|
|$15,001 to $18,000||$300|
|$18,001 to $35,000||$250|
Renters Income Requirements ($15,000 limit)
|$0 to $8,000||$650|
|$8,001 to $15,000||$500|
When calculating your yearly income, you should exclude:
- Half of your Social Security income
- 50% of your average annual Social Security benefit amount if you’re a federal Civil Service Retirement System benefit recipient
- 100% of your state veterans’ payments or federal veterans’ disability payments
How To Get Property Tax Rebate for Seniors in PA
To apply for the PA property tax rebate for senior citizens for the first time, you should visit revenue.pa.gov or call 1-888-222-9190. If you enroll in the program, you’ll receive an application via mail every year for your future applications.
Ways To Lower Your Property Tax Bill
Every state has different property tax rates. Most people take property taxes into consideration when deciding where to purchase their home. The table below shows ten states with the lowest rates:
|State||Property Tax Rate|
|District of Columbia||0.46%|
The local assessors’ job is to perform property tax assessments. They do it by evaluating the market value of the property in question and multiplying it with the property tax rate. Your property’s value depends on multiple elements, including:
- Curb appeal and interior aesthetic
- Number and size of bedrooms
- Properties in the neighborhood
- Location and vicinity to important facilities such as schools, hospitals, and similar
Even if you don’t qualify for PA senior citizen property tax rebate, you might be eligible to reduce your property tax bill in some other way. You can try out some of the following strategies:
- Postpone home improvements until after the assessment
- Check if your tax bill has inaccuracies and request reassessment if necessary
- Find out more about Pennsylvania property tax exemptions. Some of the exemptions available in most American states apply to:
How To Reduce Your PA Property Tax Bill in a Jiffy—With DoNotPay
DoNotPay can help you find out if you qualify for a property tax exemption in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Indiana, or any other U.S. state. Once you answer a few short questions, we will generate a personalized guide to help you lower the property tax bill. To take advantage of our practical service, follow these steps:
- Log in to your DoNotPay account
- Choose the Property Tax feature
- Answer the necessary questions
- Follow the directions from your personalized guide
Check out some of the states and counties we can help you lower your property tax bill in:
File a Property Tax Appeal Stress-Free
Helping you determine if you qualify for a property tax exemption isn’t the only problem we can solve. Besides offering a detailed guide on lowering your property tax bill, DoNotPay can also help you file a property tax appeal in under five minutes.
If your municipality rejects your justified exemption request, you should log in to DoNotPay and rely on our help. We will provide a guide with instructions on gathering necessary evidence and negotiating with the assessor.
More of What We Can Do for You
Our multifaceted app can call and record the conversation with the customer service of the company that just won't let you go! If you are having trouble canceling an unwanted service via the traditional channels, use DoNotPay to get it over and done with!
We'll also lend a helping hand in stopping spam mail—whether it's electronic or paper. Our Spam Collector product unsubscribes you from unwanted emails and cleans up your physical mailbox too!
DoNotPay Can Do Your Paperwork for You!
Feeling like you're in bureaucratic hell? Our app will draft the paperwork you need and get you out of any hurdle before you know it!
We can compose most of the documents that you require for any administrative purpose in your jurisdiction, most notably:
- Legal forms for the small claims court disputes in your state
- Court scripts so you don't get lost for words in front of the judge
- Parking ticket appeals
- Extension letters and fee waivers for your overdue bills
- Warranty claims
- Cease and desist letters for stalkers and harassers bolstered by applicable state and federal laws
- Dispute letters for chargebacks and refunds
- DMCA takedown notices
- Forgotten property claims
- College fee waiver applications
- Application emails for clinical trials in your area that boost your chances of enrollment
- Digitized letters for keeping in touch with your imprisoned loved ones that comply with the local prison practices
- Insurance claims