How To Reach An Inmate At Otis Bantum Correctional Center With Ease
Staying in touch with an incarcerated friend or loved one at Otis Bantum Correctional Center can have a profound positive impact on their progress. Research shows that visits, phone calls, and letters can reduce prison misconduct and decrease the odds an inmate will be reincarcerated.
While Otis Bantum Correctional Center allows inmates to receive visitors and letters, they have strict guidelines for inmate visitation and written communication. Failure to follow these guidelines could result in termination of your visit or communication.
Read on to find out how to visit an inmate or how to write a prisoner with DoNotPay.
Where is Otis Bantum Correctional Center Located?
Also known as OBCC Rikers Island, or simply “Rikers”, Otis Bantum Correctional Center is located on Rikers Island in East Elmhurst, New York.
The facility was built in 1985 and named after its second warden, Otis Bantum. OBCC Rikers Island houses adult male inmates and offers dormitory and cell housing.
Otis Bantum Correctional Center Information:
|Physical Address||16-00 Hazen Street
East Elmhurst, NY 11370
|General contact phone number||(718) 546-1500|
How To Contact Inmates At Otis Bantum Correctional Facility
OBCC Rikers Island permits friends and family members to visit inmates and speak with inmates by phone. Inmates may also receive mail, packages, and money, as described below:
- Visits are allowed between 1:00 and 9:00 Wednesdays and Thursdays, and from 8:00 and 4:00 Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- Inmates are permitted to make outbound calls only. They are allowed to spend up to 21 minutes on phone calls every three hours.
- Inmates are permitted to receive letters and other mail, excluding Polaroid photos and pornographic material.
DoNotPay can help you learn how to address a letter to an inmate and send it to the address below:
Otis Bantum Correctional Center
Inmate Name, Inmate ID #
16-00 Hazen Street
East Elmhurst, NY 11370
How Can You Send Money To A Loved One At OBCC Rikers Island?
Inmates at Otis Bantum Correctional Center may purchase items from the facility's commissary. To complete a purchase, the inmate must have funds available in their authorized account. Here are three ways you can send money to a friend or loved one's account at OBCC:
- In-Person Deposit: You can visit the kiosk at a Department of Corrections cashier office.
- Internet Transfer: You can send funds to your loved one's account by visiting Jpay.com and following the instructions.
- Phone Deposit: You can deposit funds by phone by calling Jpay at 1-800-574-5729 or Western Union at 1-800-325-6000.
How Can You Send A Package To An Inmate At OBCC?
You can send packages weighing up to 15 pounds to an inmate at OBCC Rikers Island. The overall dimensions of the package must not exceed 24" W x 12" H x 24" D. Before you send a package to the address below, take some time to review the New York City Department of Correction Visit Guide to see the permissible items you can include in the package.
What Will You Need Before Contacting An Inmate at Otis Bantum Correctional Center?
Before you try to send a letter, package, or money, you will need the inmate's name, booking or case number, and the inmate's current location. If you are unsure of the inmate's exact location, DoNotPay can help. Here’s how:
- Open the DoNotPay app and go to "How To Find An Inmate - A Detailed Guide"
- You can also go to the Connect With An Inmate page and choose Locate Someone
- Then, provide the inmate's name and state before submitting your request
What Are Some Challenges People Have Contacting Loved Ones At OBCC?
While the concept of seeing or speaking with a loved one at OBCC may seem like a simple one. Still, you may face some challenges. Here are some barriers that may delay your efforts to connect with a loved one:
- Staffing Shortages: Staff at OBCC are sometimes overburdened due to staffing shortages. They may be unable to take your call or question.
- Costly Phone Calls: Americans spend over $1 billion annually on phone calls to inmates, causing more than one-third of them to go into debt.
- Poor Accessibility: Parking at OBCC is extremely limited. People wishing to visit in person are encouraged to use public transportation.
How To Connect With An Inmate At Otis Bantum Correctional Center Via DoNotPay
DoNotPay is the quickest, simplest way to avoid the pitfalls above and reach out to a loved one at OBCC Rikers Island. DoNotPay offers a feature called Connect With An Inmate that is fast, easy, and successful. Here is how the process works:
First, Know WHO You Want To Contact
Before diving into the process, you will need the full name of the person you wish to contact. Any other contact details you have may also be helpful.
Second, Gather WHAT You Will Need
- The Name of the Prison
- The Inmate's ID or Booking Number
- The Unit Where the Inmate is Located
Decide HOW You Would Like to Connect
With this information in hand, the DoNotPay app allows you to send a personalized letter or create a virtual mailbox so you can receive incoming mail with ease.
You can decide whether you would like to include a photo and what news you would like to share with your loved one. If you need help writing a letter or even learning how to become pen pals with an inmate, DoNotPay can offer guidance in those areas as well.
How DoNotPay Can Help You Locate An Imprisoned Friend Or Loved One
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
How Else Can DoNotPay Make Life Easier For You?
Connecting with inmates at Otis Bantum Correctional Center is just the tip of the iceberg for DoNotPay users. Here is a snapshot of some of the many other ways DoNotPay can make your life easier every day:
- Contest parking tickets
- Combat text spam
- Resolve credit card issues
- Cancel subscriptions or memberships quickly
- Seek compensation for robocalls
- Manage unpaid bills
- Connect with a customer service rep faster
- Sue people and companies in small claims court
But that’s only the beginning. DoNotPay is your fast, single solution for so many of life's common challenges. With DoNotPay, you can enjoy more free time and more money in your pocket. We invite you to sign up today to discover how DoNotPay can make a difference in your life.