Origin's Terms of Service: All You Need To Know
Privacy and data regulations have become stricter as companies steal customer data to create targeted ads. Violations of the terms of service can occur when businesses sell or share data without informing the customer. They also hide their dubious practices in fine print, where it's hard to notice.
are a collection of agreements that govern your interaction with the company. These agreements are usually lengthy documents filled with confusing legalese that can dissuade users from reading them, especially those with little legal knowledge. You can use DoNotPay to scan the language of the terms and help you get compensated for any violations.
Origin Terms of Service
Origin is a digital distribution platform created by Electronic Arts to purchase and play video games. You can enjoy a wide selection of games on Origin, including popular titles such as Battlefield 2042, FIFA 15, and The Sims 4. Origin's terms of service (last updated August 25, 2021) govern your access and use of EA's products, content, and services and its subsidiaries, including websites and live events held by EA.
- To play most EA games, you must create an account first. You must be at least the minimum age required by your country. For minors, parents and guardians must ensure they read and agree to the terms of service. EA reserves the right to ban or suspend your account for violation.
- EA's games and services aren't always available or functional on all devices. EA makes updates and changes to their games and services, which can affect your use or game progress.
- To play EA PC games, you need to install EA's PC distribution platform software. This software enables you to use your account with Origin and play EA's PC games.
- EA collects various information when you play their games (even offline). This helps them operate their business, improve their products and services, enforce rules, and enhance communication.
What Information Does Origin Collect from Me?
According to , EA collects various information from you:
- Device Information - Your device's unique identifier, IP address, operating system version, internet provider, or mobile network information.
- Computer Information - Information about your computer hardware and software like installed game updates, EA account creation date, PC ID, OS version.
- Game Information - Your game progress and tokens earned in single-player games. They also collect your gameplay and usage statistics, including in-game communications and transactions with other players you play with.
What Happens If Origin Terms of Service are Violated?
After registering with Origin, you are solely responsible for all information, data, code, video, software, graphics, images, or other uploaded materials. Origin will punish you for violating their terms of service through the following:
- Termination - if you are found to be in violation, EA can terminate your access to their services, products, and content. This will make you lose all your game progress and any virtual items you may have earned.
- Suspension - EA can also suspend your access to their services, products, and content for any period. This may be temporary or permanent depending on the violation you're found to have committed and can last an hour or even years.
- Civil Action: EA may also take civil action against you in the form of a lawsuit if you're found to have violated their terms of service.
What to Do if You Were Banned From Origin
Origin may ban your account for going against their terms of service. You'll have to create a new account and start over if this happens. This will result in lost gameplay data and progress. Fortunately, DoNotPay can help you appeal your banned account, so you continue enjoying your games.
Origin Arbitration Clause Explained
Arbitration is an out-of-court proceeding where an impartial third party resolves a dispute. It is cheaper and faster than going to court. Origin's arbitration clause in their terms of service states:
Any claim, dispute, or controversy (whether in contract, tort, or otherwise) arising out of or relating to this Agreement shall be finally settled by binding arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association under its Commercial Arbitration Rules.
This clause requires that any disputes arising from your use of Origin's services must be resolved through arbitration. If you violate Origin's terms of service, they can file a claim against you in an arbitration court. They must file the claim within one year after the violation occurred.
Arbitration hearings will happen in a reasonably convenient location for you and Origin with due consideration of each other's ability to travel and other pertinent circumstances unless stated otherwise.
Things to Look Out for in Origin TOS
With Origin's TOS, be careful of the following:
- Automatic Renewal and Cancellation - Your contract with Origin will remain valid if you allow Origin to renew your agreement automatically. Your contract will remain in effect even when you cancel your subscription.
- Fees and Taxes - Without limiting any other provision of this Agreement, you are solely responsible for paying all applicable fees and taxes associated with your use of the Service.
- Use of Service - You must consistently use the Service with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Proprietary Rights - Origin and its licensors retain all rights, title, and interest in and to the Service. You acknowledge that no title to the intellectual property in the Service is transferred to you.
- Fraud - You agree that you will not engage in fraudulent, dishonest, or illegal activity while using the Service.
- Collection of User Data - Origin may collect and store user data, including personally identifiable information. Origin will use this information to improve the quality of the service, for marketing and advertising purposes, and other legitimate business purposes.
- Termination - EA can terminate your access to their services, products, and content. This will make you lose all your game progress and any virtual items you may have earned.
How to Analyze Origin Terms of Service on Your Own
When reading through Origin's terms of service, make sure you take note of the following:
- Will your data be shared with other third parties?
- What is the cancellation policy?
- Can you opt out?
- Arbitration clause
- Are there any restrictions on how I can use the Service?
- Can EA terminate my account at any time?
- What are the consequences of violating the terms of service?
- Sections written in ALL CAPS
By understanding these clauses, you can protect yourself from possible violations and ensure that you are compensated if your account is banned for violating the terms of service.
Next Steps for Analyzing Origin Terms of Service if You Can't Do It Yourself
Reading through and understanding Origin's terms of service can be difficult. With confusing jargon and complex clauses, you may end up agreeing to them without fully understanding their meaning. But this doesn't mean you just sign them. DoNotPay offers a convenient way to scan and understand the terms of service before you accept them.
Analyze Terms and Service With the Help of DoNotPay
Analyzing terms and services doesn't have to be complicated. By using DoNotPay to analyze the terms of service, you will understand in detail what specific parts of the contract mean.
How to analyze terms and services using DoNotPay:
If you want to analyze terms and services but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 5 easy steps:
- Go to the Analyze Terms and Services product on DoNotPay.
- Enter the website domain you would like to scan.
- Wait for DoNotPay to identify any legal violations on the website (it should only take a few seconds!) If there are violations, proceed to drafting a demand letter.
- Enter how much you want to receive in compensation and the company name.
- Enter your contact information so the company can contact you.
DoNotPay will generate a demand letter on your behalf with every legal violation we identified that you can send to the company.
Analyze any company's terms of service for violations and potential compensation:
Why Use DoNotPay to Scan and Analyze Terms of Service
The advantages of using DoNotPay include:
- Fast. No need to spend hours trying to understand the terms of service. DoNotPay will analyze them within minutes.
- Easy. You don't have to struggle to understand complex language. DoNotPay does the hard work for you.
- Successful. DoNotPay will help you scan TOS and file for compensation for any violations.
How to Sue Origin for TOS violations
If Origin fails to comply with your demand for compensation, you can escalate the matter to Small Claims Court and sue for damages. DoNotPay's "Sue Now" product will help you generate demand letters and escalate the case to a small claims court to sue the company.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Scanning and analyzing terms of service is just one of many things DoNotPay can help you with. Below are other issues DoNotPay can help you solve: