How to Find the Best Schools Online for High Schoolers
Online schooling was growing in popularity long before COVID-19. No doubt, it has become even more widely used. But, how do you know which are the best online schools for your high schoolers?
Finding the best online program and curriculum for your teenagers can be daunting at best. You can spend a lot of time reviewing the dozens of schools, research engines will locate, or you can simply use DoNotPay to help you find the best online school for your high schoolers. Whether you are looking to find the best schools in general or have something more specific in minds such as schools for gifted children or troubled kids, DoNotPay can help.
How Does Online High School Compare to Onsite Learning?
Attending online high school is, in some ways, very similar to learning on a school campus.
- Teens have a daily routine based on mandatory learning and electives. But online schools can vary in their approach to teaching.
- Students may attend classes over the internet where a teacher will give a lesson and provide classwork and homework at the same time daily. The school would have an assigned lunch hour and breaks.
- Some online high schools may offer lessons where teens do not have to sign in for class each day but are provided daily lessons with support links and videos by certified teachers to be completed by a specific date and time. Teachers have available hours for their students to ask questions throughout each day, and office hours when students can sign up for some one-on-one time.
- Online schools do keep track of attendance and students must keep up with their work as in onsite schools. AP classes may be available to juniors and seniors. High school graduation requirements are the same as with onsite high schools.
Things to Consider When Looking at Online High Schools
You need to make sure that the school you choose meets the needs of your children and your family. Things to consider include:
|Feasibility of Online Learning||Is online high school workable for your family? Online learning means your high schooler will be at home every day for school which could mean that a parent needs to be home most of that time as well.|
|Motivation Factors||Online students need to have self-motivation and discipline to get up, attend class, and do their work. Will your teen be able to stick to the routine without in-person teacher supervision? You do not want that added supervision to be the responsibility of the parent, which could add conflict to your family dynamics.|
|Socialization Aspect||There is little doubt that socializing with friends is an important part of attending high school. Your teenager will have to find new outlets for that socialization, such as team sports through recreational sports programs, teen programs, clubs, and volunteerism.|
|Type of School||If your teen plans on continuing their education after graduation, you may want to look for online high schools known for their college preparatory curriculum, or with AP classes.|
|Religion||If religion is a large part of your lives, you may want to look for a school with a religious affiliation.|
These types of factors can narrow your search parameters when looking to find the best schools for your child.
How Would You Look For the Best Online Schools for High Schoolers on Your Own?
When choosing a high school, you want the best environment for your teens, one in which they can do well academically and emotionally.
- You may have specific considerations such as schools for children with special needs or a child with autism.
- You can certainly use standard online search engines which will offer you an abundance of options. Note the first options that show up will be through paid advertising.
- You could speak with friends and or seek the advice of professionals in education for their thoughts and input. And while they may have good general advice, will they know what is the best learning situation for your kids?
Face it, while your kids' education is of the utmost importance, going through dozens of websites or brochures to find the best online school for your high schoolers is time-consuming. There is an easier way. Use DoNotPay.
How to Use DoNotPay to Find the Best Online Schools for Your High Schoolers
DoNotPay has a search tool you can customize to look for the best online high schools for your teens. It will create a list of the best matches including overall scoring and a full report of the top schools. Just a few easy steps and you are done. Simply,
- Go to the Best Schools Search product on DoNotPay.
- Let us guide you through the different priorities you can filter by, including whether you're looking for a private school vs. public school, your ideal student to teacher ratio, and what grade level you are looking for.
- Tell us how you want us to rank the results (by what's most important to you!) Some examples include, best schools overall, most diverse, best teachers, etc.
- Enter the search area you want to search in for. The wider the area, the more schools we can match you with.
Other Things Can DoNotPay Do for Your Family?
DoNotPay has skills that frankly go beyond our wildest dreams to help with your kids and life in general. For example:
- Submit a notice of intent to homeschool
- Write a travel consent for your child's field trip
- Help your college-bound teen find and apply for scholarships
- Serves as online fax if you don't have one
- Submit a case to small claims court
Oh, and there is so much more. Take a look around and let DoNotPay help you search for online schools and see if you have any unclaimed money! Wouldn't that be nice?