The Pros and Cons of Online Divorce—Top Advice From DoNotPay
Divorce is one of the most traumatic occurrences in anybody’s life. The only time it can be made easier is when it is a so-called friendly divorce, where both parties agree on how to end the marriage.
DoNotPay can show you what you need to get an online divorce. Find out what pitfalls you should be aware of!
- Divorce as the best option
- The division of your joint assets and liabilities
- Other matters such as child custody and maintenance
The divorce in such cases is considered uncontested, meaning that you do not necessarily need a lawyer or a court case to finalize matters. An uncontested divorce online can be completed quickly and without much hassle.
There are divorce laws in each state that regulate how you should go about your divorce procedure—you can check your state legislation here:
A divorce cannot be granted online but must go through your county court and receive a judgment. You can get all the paperwork you need for your divorce online, but you need to make sure it is:
- Valid in your state
- Complete, covering all the aspects you need it to cover
- Legally defensible in court if necessary
The paperwork you need for your uncontested divorce is as follows:
- Petition for divorce
- Divorce settlement agreement
A petition for divorce asks your county court to grant a divorce to you and your spouse. It needs to contain:
- The names of both spouses
- Details of any children in the marriage
- Confirmation of the residence of either spouse in the court’s area of jurisdiction
- A list of your joint assets, liabilities, income, and expenses
The petition must be filed with the clerk of your county court for your divorce to be set in motion. Once it has been filed, you need to serve your spouse with the petition, meaning they have to be given a hard copy of the petition and acknowledge in writing that they have received it.
The divorce settlement agreement sets out how your and your spouse’s assets, liabilities, income, and expenses should be divided after the divorce.
It also regulates custody and maintenance rights and obligations for your children, as well as any other joint areas of your married life.
If you and your spouse agree on everything in the divorce settlement agreement, there should be no barrier to your reaching an out-of-court divorce settlement.
Most online divorce services offer divorce settlement agreement templates for you to fill out yourself.
Online divorce services have several advantages but can be prone to pitfalls, as follows:
Bearing in mind that your divorce can have a serious legal and financial impact on your life, you should be careful which online service you choose. This is where DoNotPay can help—our divorce settlement agreements are tailored to your exact circumstances!
In case you and your spouse opted for an uncontested divorce, DoNotPay’s Divorce Settlement Agreement product can save you the expense of a lawyer while making sure your agreement is complete and legally secure.
To generate your divorce settlement agreement, all you need to do is:
- Sign up with DoNotPay in your web browser
- Click on our Divorce Settlement Agreement product
- Fill in all the details you want to be included in your agreement
We will generate your document in a flash once we have all the details we need. You and your spouse can sign it and have it notarized. To make your life even simpler, DoNotPay can organize the notarization for you too!
If you and your spouse are still in disagreement about the details of your divorce settlement agreement, don’t despair!
If you have agreed to the major terms but can’t reach a consensus on details, you may be able to resolve the matter through mediation.
An independent mediator can help you and your spouse to:
- Focus on the desired result
- Negotiate towards a win-win situation
- Reach a mutually acceptable agreement on the open points
Mediation can help you avoid a lawyer’s intervention or your divorce changing from an uncontested matter to a contested one in court.
Most Americans go through financial hurdles daily. You don’t need to put up with it all—as soon as you sign up for our app and voice your struggles, we will provide our assistance! DoNotPay is capable of:
- Getting you free raffle tickets
- Finding your unclaimed money
- Helping you reduce all your utility bills
- Claiming insurance and warranty in your stead
- Demanding refunds from companies in your stead
- Helping you get a college fee waiver
- Getting you robocall compensation
- Getting you refunds from airlines
- Appealing your parking tickets
- Reducing your property taxes
Are you dealing with a company that doesn’t want to cooperate and keeps ignoring your consumer rights? No problem—DoNotPay can help you sue the company in small claims court and win your case.
Have you been trying to reach the company’s customer support reps with no success? Don’t get stressed—our app will gladly wait in the phone queue in your stead and notify you as soon as someone picks up.