Is Getting an Online Divorce in Illinois the Right Option for You?
Contrary to popular belief, you cannot get a divorce online. You can only get the necessary papers and learn about the process. Online agencies can’t file for divorce in your stead. They can only fill out and send the mandatory forms for a certain fee.
You must choose an agency with care because getting the right paperwork and an adequate settlement agreement is essential. Opting for the wrong agent has a lot of downsides, including:
|Chance of getting the wrong forms||Some online agencies have outdated databases and forms. You can end up with the wrong divorce papers, causing the restart of the entire process|
|The extra money you’ll have to spend||Considering that you can get divorce forms in Illinois online for free, paying agencies to get them for you is only an extra cost|
|Extended divorce process||Some agencies take up to several days to send you the divorce papers|
You don’t need an online agency to complete the forms for you. The only tricky part is getting a settlement agreement. To obtain this key document hassle-free, you can use DoNotPay.
To get quick marriage termination, you should opt for an uncontested, friendly divorce because it allows you to stay in an amicable relationship after separation. You can also avoid:
To be eligible for the uncontested divorce in Illinois, you and your spouse must:
- Be residents of the Prairie State for 90 days minimum before filing the paperwork
- Not have any marital children
- Be married for no more than eight years
- Live apart six months before the procedure starts
- Not own a marital home and have less than $10,000 in joint marital property
- File for a no-fault divorce so you won’t have to prove your spouse’s wrongdoings and can state that your marriage is irretrievably broken
- Agree on the terms of your divorce, such as debt division and custody support
If you can’t reach an agreement on crucial aspects of your divorce, get mediation in Illinois. The mediator will help you meet halfway. Divorce mediation is a cheap and efficient way to find a middle ground without wasting money on lawyers.
Getting a quick divorce in Illinois requires you to:
- Obtain the required forms
- File the divorce papers
- Serve your spouse
- Draw up a divorce settlement agreement
To collect the necessary divorce paperwork in Illinois, visit the local government website or courthouse. Don’t forget to make multiple copies as you’ll need to:
- Give one copy to the court
- Deliver another to your spouse
- Keep the original for yourself
Go to your local courthouse and pay the filing fee. Can’t afford it? You can complete a fee waiver form for the judge to review and decide whether you’re eligible or not.
In Illinois, you can’t deliver the papers yourself. You must hire a process server, deputy sheriff, or anyone who else who is:
- Neutral to the case
- At least 18 years old
The divorce settlement agreement is the most important document you’ll have to file. It contains the crucial terms of your separation, such as alimony and property distribution. Before finalizing your divorce, the judge will make sure it’s:
- Compliant with state laws
- Fair to both parties
- Signed willingly by both spouses
You can hire a lawyer and spend big bucks on their sky-high fees or write one yourself, which requires a lot of time. A handy solution, which saves you both time and money, is to use DoNotPay. We’ll generate this key document personalized to your needs and send it to you in a jiffy.
If you want to get a quick divorce and part ways with your spouse on the terms you deserve, use DoNotPay and finalize the process with a professional settlement agreement. We will draw up this document for you in no time, making sure it fits your needs perfectly. Here’s how to get it:
- Select our Divorce Settlement Agreement product
- Answer our chatbot’s questions about your spouse, children, assets, and income
Once you submit your request, we take over. Your personalized divorce settlement agreement should reach your inbox in no time. If your state requires you to have it notarized, we can help with our online notarization service!
Don’t forget to check out DoNotPay’s learning center! We’ve prepared easy-to-read articles for you, including:
- How do you get divorced without breaking the bank?
- Can you settle without going to court?
- Should you get a contested or uncontested divorce?
- Who gets to keep the house in a divorce?
- What are the laws regarding divorces in Will County and Lake County?
Why waste time and money completing mundane tasks on your own when you can let DoNotPay assist you? Take a look at the table below to find out what our AI-powered app can do for you:
|Protect your safety and privacy|
|Draft legal documents|
|Help you get your money back|
Since communication is key, you’ll appreciate our feature that helps you get in touch with customer service reps quickly! We’ll also show you how to send faxes online and have your documents notarized by an online notary with ease!