Overview of Oklahoma Renters' Rights
If you are a , you have both rights and responsibilities. In order to protect yourself against unfair or unlawful treatment, it is essential that you know your . Most of the laws that govern both tenants and landlords are contained within the state statutes. DoNotPay has a that not only helps you understand your protection under state laws, but can also help you:
- Get back your security deposits
- Resolve disputes with your landlord over repairs
- Help resolve disputes with a roommate
- Break your lease early
What Are My Oklahoma Renter Responsibilities?
As a renter in Oklahoma, you have certain responsibilities. These may include:
- Paying your rent on time and in full. If rent is paid after the due date, the renter is responsible for the late charges.
- Keeping the property clean and in a safe and healthy condition. Paying for damage that you cause by neglect or act.
- Allowing access to the landlord to the rental property for the purpose of inspection, with a minimum of 24 hours notice.
- Obeying laws include drugs, violence, and other criminal activities.
- Following the agreements as made in the lease or rental agreement, including pets, lawn care, destruction of property, etc.
What Are My Oklahoma Renter Rights?
In the state of Oklahoma, you have rights as a tenant. Some may be outlined in your lease, while others are cited within the state statutes. These may include:
- You are also entitled to live in a unit that's in habitable condition. Unless specifically cited in the lease, the landlord is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of your unit.
- You are entitled to the return of your security deposit within 45 days of the termination date of the lease. Unless in violation of your lease, behind on rent, or leaving the premise in an unsanitary condition or in ill repair.
- You have the right not to be locked out of your unit without legal eviction through the court system.
- As long as you have a legal agreement or lease, as a renter, you have the right to not have your rent increased during the term of the lease.
- You have the right not to be the subject of discrimination, due to age, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability. If discrimination is proven, this is a violation of federal law in addition to state law.
What Can I Do if My Oklahoma Renters Rights Have Been Violated?
Depending on the offense, there are a number of things you can do if you have had your rights violated. You can:
|What You Can Do||Details|
|Send a demand letter to the landlord||For example, if something in the unit is in disrepair, and you have spoken to the landlord multiple times about it, send a demand letter detailing what the problem is, the steps you have taken so far, the length of time it has been an issue, and how it affects your quality of life.|
|File a claim against your landlord in small claims court||If you have not had your deposit returned, you have made repairs to something that was the landlord's responsibility and want to be reimbursed, or have suffered some financial loss due to negligence or disregard of the landlord.|
|Call the police if an emergency or dangerous situation exists.||-|
What if I Am Unable to Do It Myself?
It could be that you aren't sure how to get started. Maybe you don't have the time. Whatever the reason, DoNotPay has the solution. DoNotPay can help you to:
- Learn all about your Oklahoma renter's rights
- Get your security deposit back
- Resolve repair issues with the landlord
- Help with disputes with a roommate
DoNotPay takes the stress and worries out of protecting your rights as an Oklahoma renter and makes it easy to do. Just complete the following four easy steps:
- Search for and open the Landlord Protection product on DoNotPay.
- Select which issue applies to you.
- Answer a simple set of questions so our chatbot can collect the necessary information to create your demand letter.
- Choose whether you want DoNotPay to send the demand letter to your landlord or roommate on your behalf. If you already tried sending a demand letter and it didn't work, we can help you start the small claims court process.
And that's it. You should hear back from your landlord directly once your demands are sent.
Why Should I Use DoNotPay for Landlord Protection?
Using DoNotPay gives you the confidence that you are doing your best to protect your rights. DoNotPay is
- Fast—You don't have to spend hours trying to solve the issue.
- Easy—You don't have to struggle to fill out tedious forms or keep track of all the steps involved in solving your problem.
- Successful—You can rest assured, knowing we'll make the best case for you.
What Else Can DoNotPay do?
DoNotPay has a variety of products designed to help you solve the daily problems that take up your time and stress you out. Do you need to get a document notarized? DoNotPay can help. Are you looking for a standardized legal document? Need help finding missing money? DoNotPay can help solve many of your problems with just a few simple clicks. How can we help you?