Getting a Marriage Certificate in Oklahoma is Easier Than Ever
Getting married is an exciting time. It's also frustrating because your to-do list goes from somewhat hectic to feeling like you've got ten million things to get done in a matter of hours, or the world is doomed. While some of the tasks can be fun, like taste testing cakes and picking out a wedding dress, getting your Oklahoma marriage certificate is probably not the top thing on your list.
Unfortunately, getting a is one of those things that can't be avoided. Once the “I do's” are over, you'll need a copy of your marriage certificate for various reasons and it's better to have it on hand rather than trying to hunt it down later. If you find you need a marriage certificate, let DoNotPay help.
The Difference Between Marriage Certificates and Marriage Licenses
Forms vary from state to state. In Oklahoma, marriage certificates and marriage licenses are not the same.
A marriage license is required in order to be legally married. You must get it ten days before your wedding, and it costs $50.
Getting your license helps you get wed. If you want to prove that you really are married to your spouse, then you'll need a second document, which is the marriage certificate.
Who Can Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Oklahoma?
Some states have a lot of hoops to jump through in order to get your marriage certificate, but Oklahoma isn't one of them. In fact, you don't even have to be named on the marriage certificate in order to get one, according to Oklahoma State Records. There are just three pieces of information you'll need.
- Name of the couples on the marriage certificate
- The wedding date
- The county in which the marriage license was issued.
How Much Does it Cost to Get a Marriage Certificate Copy in Oklahoma?
This depends on the county in which the couple was married. In general, more rural areas don't cost as much as urban areas. These prices are subject to change, so it's important to check with the county you got married in, and if that county clerk will accept cash, card, or check before waiting in line or mailing in a payment that is no longer sufficient.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Oklahoma?
The amount of time it takes to get your usually takes anywhere from one to two weeks. If you physically go to the County Court Clerk as opposed to mailing in an application, it will save you some time as far as waiting for your certificate to arrive, but you may end up waiting in line longer than you wish.
What Documents Do I Need to Get a Copy of a Marriage Certificate in Oklahoma?
Getting your marriage certificate isn't that difficult, and doesn't require a ton of documents. All you need is the names of both individuals on the certificate, and the date they were married.
How to Get an Oklahoma Marriage Certificate By Yourself
The Oklahoma Vital Records office is the authorized agency that issues and stores marriage records. You may request for a copy of your marriage certificate from there or from the Clerk of Court in the county where your marriage license was issued.
Before COVID, you can go in person to the vital records office. But it can be an unsure option, depending on the County Clerk. You also have to consider that most courthouses are only open from 9 AM to 5 PM, so it will be difficult to go there if you work during those hours.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|Oklahoma Vital Records||Vital Records Division,
1000 NE 10th St
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Another option is to send your request by mail. This option means that you'll be filling out the application form on your own. It might take longer for your certificate to arrive, as you have to wait for it to get to the courthouse for processing and for the certificate to be sent back through the mail.
Next Steps For Getting an Oklahoma Marriage Certificate If You Can't Do It Yourself
There may be a reason why you can't get the marriage certificate yourself. Maybe you're sick and in the hospital, out of the country, below the age of 18, or other circumstances. Whatever the reason, you can always ask someone else to get the certificate for you.
As mentioned, anyone can get a marriage certificate in Oklahoma. You should only do this with a trusted individual, someone you know will get you the copies and then turn them over to you.
DoNotPay Can Help Get Your Marriage Certificate in Oklahoma
Getting your marriage certificate is a lot more straightforward than getting your marriage license. There are fewer forms to fill out, you don't need ID, and you aren't restricted to a 10-day limit before it's completely useless.
With that being said, it can still be stressful. Trying to figure out how many copies you need, filling out the form wrong, dealing with envelopes when almost everything is done online now, and so many other little things can quickly become frustrating.
It doesn't have to be that way, however. DoNotPay can help get you as many copies as you need of your Oklahoma marriage certificate, and it only requires a few simple steps. Once they're done, you can always get more copies if you need them with little effort on your part.
How to Order a Marriage Certificate Copy in Oklahoma With DoNotPay
If you want to order a marriage certificate copy in Oklahoma but don't know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in 7 easy steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Order a Copy of Your Marriage Certificate
Getting your marriage certificate is easy enough, but what if it were even simpler? With DoNotPay, it is. We make the process:
- Fast—No standing in line at the courthouse.
- Easy—No more searching online for examples of how to fill out an envelope if you haven't done so in years.
- Successful—You'll get your certificate in record time, and you don't even have to call the county clerk.
What Else Can DoNotPay Do?
Alas, here are many things DoNotPay can't do. For example, we can't teach you to juggle bowling balls, or how to assemble a roller coaster in your backyard. But there are a lot of things we can do beyond helping you get your marriage certificate, however, and this includes:
- Make a Demand Letter
- Get Airline Flight Compensation
- Get Chargebacks and Refunds
- Obtain Child Travel Consent
- Cancel Subscriptions or Service
- Create Passport Photos
- File a Complaint
- Get Free Raffle Tickets
- File Item Return Requests
Getting your marriage certificate doesn't have to be hard with DoNotPay. In fact, it's very simple. All you need to do is sign up, and we'll take care of the rest.