Connect With an Inmate at Northern State Prison Easily
Managed by the New Jersey Department of Corrections (NJDOC), Northern State Prison is located in Newark, New Jersey, and houses just over 2,600 inmates. This all-male facility has a special needs unit, a general population unit, a therapeutic unit, and a close supervision unit. If someone you love is currently incarcerated at this location, sending letters, scheduling visitation, and maintaining other forms of contact can be incredibly helpful.
Inmates who maintain consistent contact with their friends and family members have a much easier time rejoining society upon their release. They are also less likely to deal with strong feelings of depression and anxiety, and they have significantly lower rates of recidivism.
Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to find or contact inmates in state prisons. Prisoners in New Jersey are identified by unique IDs called NJDOC registration numbers. They may be transferred unexpectedly between state prisons, or they may receive new housing assignments. It can sometimes take days for the NJDOC to update its database to reflect these changes. The good news is that you can overcome these and many other difficulties by using the Connect With an Inmate product from DoNotPay. With DoNotPay, finding and visiting your loved one in prison is always a breeze.
Where Is Northern State Prison Located?
Northern State Prison is located in Newark, New Jersey, and is part of Essex County. Their contact information is below:
|Physical address||Northern State Prison
168 Frontage Road,
Newark, NJ 07114
How to Contact Inmates at Northern State Prison
The requirements and hours for Northern State Prison inmate visitation are listed in the "Visit Procedures" pdf on the NJDOC website. There are separate visiting hours for inmates in each housing unit/housing type. These are:
- Infirmary Inmates: Sundays from 8:30 a.m to 9:30 a.m. (Appointment only)
- Inmates in the Main Compound/General Population: Saturdays and Sundays from 8:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m and from 12:45 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Minimum Security Inmates: Saturdays and Sundays from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Close Supervision Units: By appointment only
Inmates must submit a list of all possible visitors. If you wish to visit an inmate at Northern State Prison, you must wait for the prisoner to inform you that you've been added to their approved visitor list. Relatives, clergy, close friends, and anyone who may have a constructive influence on the inmate can be an approved visitor. People under the age of 18 may not visit inmates at this facility unless supervised by an approved adult.
How to Write Letters and Send Packages to Northern State Prison Inmates
Knowing how to address a letter to an inmate is essential for ensuring that your correspondence will be received. In addition to including your own full name and return address on the envelope, you must include the inmate's full name and NJDOC registration number. It is also a good idea to include these details on the letter itself. Prison pen pals and anyone else who wants to write a prisoner should know the rules and regulations for this process.
For instance, although inmates can receive 4"x6" photos, they cannot receive lewd photos or Polaroid photos. Moreover, any photos included cannot have any hand gestures or other images that might be construed as gang signs or as being gang-related.
Sending Packages to Northern State Prison Inmates
All packages sent to an inmate at this facility must be sent through a reputable vendor. There are no contracted vendors for packages, however, you can send items like books, magazines, and newspapers directly from companies like Amazon. If you want recommendations for reputable companies to use, you can call the general phone number for the prison and ask.
How to Send Money to a Loved One at Northern State Prison
There are several ways to send money to your friend or family member at Northern State Prison. These include:
- Walking in and Depositing Funds Onsite: Funds can be deposited into an inmate's account at any Walmart, CVS, or MoneyGram location using the 1233 receive code.
- Using JPay to Make a Deposit Online: Visit JPay.com to add funds to an inmate's account online.
- Depositing Funds Over the Phone: Call JPay at 1-800-574-5729 to deposit funds by phone.
- Sending Funds by Mail: Send a U.S. Postal money order to JPay, P.O. Box 170770,Hialeah, FL 33017.
JPay is the only approved vendor for processing inmate transactions for Northern State Prison. When using JPay, you'll pay fees ranging between $3.95 and $11.95 depending upon the transaction type that you choose. All transactions should reference the offender's full name, NJDOC registration number, facility name, and housing assignment.
Challenges You May Face When Contacting Someone at Northern State Prison
There are many difficulties that you might face when trying to contact someone at Northern State Prison. Using JPay isn't always an easy way to get an incarcerated loved one cash fast. You may find that your friend or relative has recently been transferred, or that they aren't yet listed in the NJDOC database.
If you don't have your loved one's NJDOC registration number or their exact housing assignment, you won't be able to send mail, schedule visitation, send money, or send packages.
Use DoNotPay to Get in Touch With Your Loved Ones
Using DoNotPay to get in touch with someone you know confined at Northern State Prison is easy. You simply need to provide their full name, NJDOC registration number, and housing assignment. If you lack any of these details, DoNotPay can help you find them.
DoNotPay Can Help You Find Your Imprisoned Friend
Finding your loved one and establishing contact is a cinch when you use DoNotPay. You can take care of everything in a simple, five-step process.
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
And that’s it! With the help of DoNotPay, you’ll be wasting no time in trying to connect with a long-lost friend or loved one from Northern State Prison.
What Other Problems Can DoNotPay Help You Solve?
You can use DoNotPay to solve a number of complex problems, and to quickly take care of challenging and time-consuming tasks. With DoNotPay, you can:
If you want to find or contact an inmate at Northern State Prison, sign up for DoNotPay right now!