How to Find and Access North Carolina Veterans Benefits
Veterans benefits are critical to life after getting out of the military. You want to be sure that you make use of all the tools at your disposal, whether you need medical care or want to take advantage of the discounts available on a wide range of state-funded things, including home purchases. Do you know what North Carolina veterans benefits look like and how to access them?
DoNotPay can make it easier to access your North Carolina veterans benefits and make sure you're making the most of your opportunities.
What Benefits Are Available for Veterans in North Carolina?
North Carolina offers several benefits to its veteran residents.
- Veterans can access one of the four state veterans’ homes, which are in Black Mountain, Fayetteville, Kinston, and Salisbury.
- Veterans with at least five years of military service as of August 12, 1989, do not pay income tax on military retirement and SBP payments.
- Honorably discharged veterans who are 100% disabled are eligible for a $45,000 deduction on their homes' assessed values when filing their property taxes.
- Disabled veterans do not have to pay highway taxes on vehicles adapted by the VA to accommodate their disabilities.
- The North Carolina Assistive Technology Program helps veterans with disabilities learn how to use assistive technology more effectively. It also offers short-term device loans, assessments, training, and technical assistance to veterans and their families as they transition back to civilian life and learn to cope with those disabilities.
- Business Link North Carolina helps North Carolina veterans seek assistance starting a small business.
- North Carolina Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans offers a scholarship for eight academic semesters to the children of veterans who served during a time of war, or who are disabled veterans.
- North Carolina offers four state veterans cemeteries: Black Mountain, Goldsboro, Jacksonville, and Spring Lake, where honorably discharged North Carolina veterans can receive free burial.
- Veterans can receive better deals on health insurance.
- Veterans often receive better deals on home loans in North Carolina, which can make owning your home much more affordable.
- Education benefits can make it easier for North Carolina veterans to attend or go back to school.
How to Find and Access Veterans Benefits in North Carolina on Your Own
Accessing veterans’ benefits on your own can be a complicated process, especially if you aren't sure what benefits you have available.
- Check out what benefits you may have on Military.com. The list may, in some cases, be out of date, and you may have trouble determining whether you are eligible for certain benefits.
- Visit your local VA. If you visit the VA, you may find yourself waiting a long time for information--and your local VA may not be convenient to your residence, since they are spread throughout North Carolina and not always in the most convenient locations. In some cases, you might not be familiar with the VA location closest to you--and it can prove very difficult to locate the right facility for your needs.
- Call the VA. A phone call to the VA may mean long hold times or an even longer wait for someone to get back to you. Many veterans quickly get frustrated when dealing with the VA.
- Call the program that provides specific services, like Business Link North Carolina or North Carolina Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans, directly. Again, you may face long hold times and a considerable wait.
How to Access Your Veterans Benefits More Easily With DoNotPay
DoNotPay can make it considerably easier to determine what veterans benefits you might qualify for and how you need to access them. Don't wait on hold for hours--or worse, drag yourself to the VA, only to learn that they can't actually provide the tools you need. Instead, let DoNotPay take care of locating those benefits for you.
- Search for and open the Military Protection product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether you want to 1) locate the nearest VA office, 2) access veteran benefits, or 3) locate service records.
- Answer a simple set of questions so our chatbot can collect the necessary information to help you and find the nearest office or fill out the appropriate forms.
Why Use DoNotPay to Solve Your Veterans Benefits Challenges?
With DoNotPay, it's much easier to solve your veterans benefit challenges.
|It's fast and easy||All the information you need is in one easy location and it all comes from one simple platform.|
|It's trustworthy||You won't have to worry that your information has gone through incorrectly or that you're missing vital facts as you fill out your forms since our platform will check for all relevant data for you.|
|It's reliable||You'll get the results you need, often much faster than you would if you were waiting for the VA to answer your questions directly.|
DoNotPay Works Across a Wide Range of Platforms With the Click of a Button
DoNotPay is designed to make it easy for you to manage a wide range of tasks online. It can help you:
- Pay your bills
- Recover lost passwords
- Manage vital certificates, from your marriage certificate to your birth certificate
- And, of course, take care of your veterans’ benefits needs
Are you ready to make it easier to access your North Carolina veterans benefits? Check out our services and solutions today.