How to Easily Obtain A Copy Of Your North Carolina Marriage Certificate
The ceremony and the fun activities of the day make the most memorable parts of your wedding day. But if you want it to be legally binding, you will have to have a copy of your .
However, getting a certified marriage certificate is not as straightforward as one would assume; It encompasses a multi-step process. Read along to discover all about applying for marriage certificates in North Carolina and how DoNotPay can help with this process.
The Difference Between A Marriage Certificate and a Marriage License in North Carolina
A marriage license is an application to get married. Once you have filled out all the required information, enjoyed your wonderful ceremony, had the document signed, and the officiant of your wedding has taken it back to the county where you applied for your marriage license, you will receive a copy of your marriage certificate. The marriage certificate is a document that acts as proof that you are officially and legally married to your partner.
How to Get A Marriage License In North Carolina
If you plan to hold your wedding ceremony in North Carolina, make sure you get your marriage license before the wedding takes place. You can apply for your marriage certificate from the Register of Deeds in your county of choice within the state. You can also get a copy of your marriage certificate online or by mail, depending on the laws of your county.
If you wish to make your application in-person, both you and your partner should pay a visit to the Register of Deeds office. If, for some reason, one of you is not able to appear in person, you should provide a notarized Affidavit in Lieu of Personal Appearance for a Marriage License. Some counties allow applicants to make an online submission before visiting the office to fasten the application process. In most counties, you can visit the Register of Deeds Office between 8:00 AM. and 4:00 PM. Services are provided Mondays through Friday, except on the weekends.
How to Make an Appointment for Your Marriage License in North Carolina
To book an appointment for your application, call your Register of Deeds Office. The contact details are available on your county's Register of Deeds website.
The following are the requirements when applying for a marriage license in North Carolina:
- Social Security Number or a notarized statement stating that the applicant does not qualify for a social security number.
- Government-issued ID, Driver's license, passport, or a certified birth certificate.
- Proof of divorce if a previous marriage exists
It is worth noting that the requirements can vary by state and therefore, you should get in touch with the Register of Deeds in your county to clarify any questions you may have.
Marriage License Fee in North Carolina
The marriage license fee varies from one state to another. In Guilford County, for example, the license fee is $60. You will add an extra $10 if you need a certified copy. You can pay using cash, a check, a debit or a credit card. The license will remain valid for 60 days. It is important to note that you may hold your marriage ceremony anywhere in the state of North Carolina. Once the ceremony is done, you must return the license to the state of issuance.
Who Can Apply For A Marriage Certificate in North Carolina?
Not just anyone can request for a marriage certificate. The marriage certificate will be issued to the applicant if:
- They are an immediate family member of the person listed on the marriage certificate.
- The applicant is applying for themselves, their spouse, sister, brother, child, parent or grandparent.
- The applicant is applying to seek information for legal reasons such as personal or property rights.
- The person applying is an authorized individual such as a legal representative of the persons listed above.
Getting A Marriage Certificate in North Carolina by Yourself
North Carolina marriage certificates may be requested from the North Carolina Vital Records office in Raleigh. Certified copies may also be obtained at the Register of Deeds office in the county where the event took place.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Marriage Certificate Processing Fee|
|North Carolina Vital Records||1903 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1903
First Copy: $39.00 Additional Copies: $15.00
First Copy: $39.00
Additional Copies: $15.00
Getting a certified copy of your marriage certificate is not an easy undertaking. You will have to spend a lot of time filling out documentation, printing, signing, mailing it and following up. Moreover, the process of doing it by yourself is expensive.
This is why DoNotPay has stepped up to this challenge, making it easier for you to request copies of your marriage certificate.
Getting Your North Carolina Marriage Certificate Using DoNotPay
If you want to get a copy of your marriage certificate in North Carolina but do not know where to start, DoNotPay has you covered in the following 7 simple steps:
- Go to the Certificates of Marriage product on DoNotPay.
- Select whether the certificate belongs to you or a relative/loved one. If it belongs to someone else, enter the details of both people on the certificate and select/upload evidence that proves your relationship with them. If the certificate is yours, enter the details of your spouse.
- Enter the city, state, and county where the marriage certificate was issued as well as the date it was issued.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
Why You Should Use DoNotPay to Get Your North Carolina Marriage Certificate
DoNotPay will guide you to answer a few questions to locate the certificate. Before generating a complete request form, you will be asked to verify the provided information. Once you have verified the information, we will mail the form to either the State Record Office or county.
- DoNotPay is fast.
- DoNotPay is easy.
- DoNotPay is successful.
We will facilitate the application fee for you so that you can relax and focus on your married life.
What Other Services Can DoNotPay Offer?
DoNotPay can help you with other concerns:
- Suing anyone in a small claims court Skipping the queue and getting in touch with a real human being at any company
- Disputing parking tickets
- Assisting you to get virtual credit cards to stop free trials from charging you
- and more!
Get a copy of your North Carolina marriage certificate today with the help of DoNotPay.