Getting Your North Carolina Birth Certificate In a Snap
Getting your North Carolina birth certificate can be a major hassle. Do you have to wait in line? Submit a complicated application online while dealing with a complicated website? Call in, potentially waiting on hold for a time before you can finally get the answers to your questions?
DoNotPay can make it simple. With DoNotPay, you can complete the process to acquire your North Carolina birth certificate online, with no unnecessary delays.
Authorized vs. Informational Birth Certificates: Is There a Difference?
Authorized birth certificates are often notarized and serve as proof of your identity, whereas informational birth certificates are intended only for information purposes and cannot be used to prove who you are. Usually, authorized birth certificates are used for things like:
- Getting your driver's license
- Getting a passport
- Enrolling in school, if needed
- Showing proof of identity for an employer
If you're going through the process of applying for a North Carolina birth certificate, including dealing with potential delays as you wait to have your certificate in your hands, make sure you know what type of birth certificate you need! You might need a different birth certificate for a newborn than if you need a copy for adult identification purposes.
Who Can Get a Copy of a North Carolina Birth Certificate?
In North Carolina, you can apply for a copy of a birth certificate if you are:
- The person named on the birth certificate,
- A direct family member of the person named on the birth certificate (parents, siblings, grandparents, spouse), or
- Someone with the legal right to apply for a birth certificate for another reason.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a Birth Certificate in North Carolina?
North Carolina has a varied fee schedule, depending on exactly what you need and what steps you need to take.
|City/County/State Office||Contact Address and Phone Number||Birth Certificate Processing Fee|
|North Carolina Vital Records||1903 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1903
|Certified and Uncertified copies - Expedited First Copy: $39.00 Additional Copies: $15.00|
The processing fee for a standard certificate search, including one copy of a birth certificate is $24 but requests are now expedited so there is an additional $15 fee. Refer to the following for other fee schedules:
- $15 to amend a birth certificate
- $15 for a court-ordered name change, then $24 for an amended document
How to Apply for a Birth Certificate By Yourself in North Carolina?
Do you need to access a birth certificate by yourself in North Carolina? You should:
- Fill out the Birth Certificate Application Form. It can be found on the North Carolina Vital Records website.
- Choose whether you need standard or expedited services. Standard records checks may cost less, but they may also take longer to get your birth certificate in your hands. If you don't have time for delays, you may want to consult your local Register of Deeds about how long the current wait time might be to get your records.
- Provided needed information.
- The name on the birth certificate
- Both parents' full names
- The place of birth
- The relationship of the person requesting the birth certificate to the person named on the birth certificate
You will have to provide documentation that establishes your identity or relationship to the person named on the birth certificate. Usually, you can establish your identity through a state-issued ID, your passport, or two pieces of secondary identification, including your signed Social Security card and utility bills.
- Pay the fees associated with your application. Your fees will vary depending on the specific type of service you need and how many copies of the birth certificate you may want.
- Submit your paperwork. You can use VitalChek to apply for your North Carolina birth certificate online or visit the Register of Deeds office in the county where the person named on the birth certificate was born.
Get Your North Carolina Birth Certificate Easily With DoNotPay
DoNotPay makes it faster, easier, and smoother to take care of ordering a North Carolina birth certificate online. Instead of spending unnecessary time waiting in line or struggling with a complicated form and little support, you can let DoNotPay take care of the hard part for you.
- Go to the Birth Certificates product on DoNotPay.
- Select who the certificate is for (you or a loved one). If you are requesting a copy of someone else's certificate, enter their personal details, and upload evidence that proves your relationship.
- Enter the location you or your loved one was born in, so we can complete the form specific to your state.
- Enter the name(s) of the parent(s) as displayed on the certificate.
- Indicate what you will be using this certificate for, and choose whether you need an authorized or certified copy.
- Enter your contact information and shipping address. Upload copies of your government-issued identification, such as a driver's license.
- Choose whether you would like to electronically sign this form or not. Once we generate the form, verify that all of the information is correct.
- If you need the document to be notarized, schedule a notarization appointment using our Notary product. Otherwise, proceed to our Mail Checks product and let DoNotPay mail-in your request form with a check on your behalf.
It's just that simple! With DoNotPay, you can streamline the process of acquiring your North Carolina birth certificate online so that you can spend less time worrying about applications and procedures and more time taking care of all the other things on your To-Do list.