NM Child Support Calculator: How Much You Should Pay

Child Support Payments NM Child Support Calculator: How Much You Should Pay

NM Child Support Calculator: How Much You Should Pay

When you have children, you are legally obligated to support them until they are 18 years old. It doesn't matter if the parents were never married if one parent never sees the child or any other circumstance. Support is a legal obligation all over the US. In New Mexico, the Child Support Enforcement Division (CSED) oversees and enforces child support.

If your children aren't receiving support from one parent, learn how the state calculates child support with the use of New Mexico child support calculator, and how to apply for it. One thing to keep in mind while you go through this process is that this is money for the child's welfare, not the parent or guardian—if your ex accuses you of being greedy, don't ever forget that this is for the benefit of the child.

How Does Child Support Work?

The court uses a pre-set formula to figure out the amount of support owed. If either of you thinks that the judge is just making up numbers and isn't fair, please understand that they are bound to use this formula and a certain list of expenses to calculate support. Here are some of the expenses that are included.

  • Health insurance, including visual, dental, and mental health. This includes orthodontia.
  • Clothing, shoes, even haircuts
  • Visitation expenses—airfare and other travel costs—if the other parent is a long distance
  • Any form of childcare, in the form of daycare, after-school care, or summer camps
  • School fees and expenses. This includes school tuition if both parents agree to private education.
  • Auto insurance for teenage drivers

How Does the Court Decide How Much Support I Get?

In New Mexico, the court uses one of two methods to calculate support—Income Share or Percentage of Income. Here is a simple breakdown of how each method works.

1. Income Share

Income sharing uses an economic table to figure out the monthly costs to rear the child. The non-custodial parent (NCP) pays a percentage of that cost, based on a proportioned share of both parent's gross income. An example is always helpful.

NCP monthly income$2,000
CP monthly income$1,000
Combined income$1,000
Court-estimated child rearing cost$1,000

The NCP's income is 66.6% of the combined amount, so they pay that amount of the costs — $666.66 per month.

2. Income Percentage

This is a simpler way to figure out child support. A percentage of the NCP's income is paid to the CP every month. The amount may change if the NCP's income changes.

NCP monthly income$2,000
CP monthly income$1,000
Combined income$3,000

The court orders a flat percentage, say 30 percent, $600 of the NCP's $2,000 to be paid in support monthly. As long as that parent is making $2,000 per month, that's the amount owed. If it fluctuates, the court can reconsider and adjust that percentage. The actual costs of child rearing aren't considered with the percentage method.

Does the IRS Count Child Support as Income?

The payer cannot deduct child support on their federal or state taxes, and the recipient doesn't have to report the payments as income. If an ex-spouse is paying alimony, that is tax-deductible in New Mexico.

In high-wage earning families, tax implications are a consideration when the parents are figuring out the separation agreement, and child support is one of the negotiating tactics. For example, since alimony is deductible but support payments are not, the NCP may prefer to pay more in deductible alimony than in support. Also, if the NCP has the child covered on their health plan, that cost is not included in the monthly calculation.

My Ex Is Refusing to Pay. Now What?

Non-paying, or deadbeat, parents are unfortunately all too common. Deadbeats aren't limited to low-income parents; wealthy ones are just as likely to try to skip out on support.

The CSED can help with enforcing child support court orders. If paternity is an issue, they also have the resources to establish paternity and collect support. If your ex is noncompliant, they also have a number of methods to make sure you get the support you're owed.

  • Wage garnishment
  • Tax refund intercepts
  • Driver's license suspension
  • Fishing and hunting license suspension
  • Passport denial

If your ex has left New Mexico, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) lets the CSED refer legal action to the state where your ex lives now. UIFSA also allows for wage withholding in other states, and the arrest of a deadbeat parent.

How Do I File for Support?

CSED handles all child support applications. You can file online or at one of their field offices that are throughout the state. You'll need some time to complete the application. It is not complicated, but it is detailed. If you enter any data incorrectly or miscalculate numbers, that will set your application back until you can correct the mistakes.

DoNotPay Offers a Better Option

DoNotPay can actually file this application on your behalf, so you'll know it's done right the first time.

How to file a demand letter for late child support payments using DoNotPay:

  1. Search child support on DoNotPay and enter the details of the person who owes the payments.


  2. Tell us more about the payment schedule, including the amount and frequency of the payments, the last payment they made and number of missed payments, and how much they owe you in total.


  3. Confirm your contact information and select whether you want us to mail or email the letter on your behalf. Choose how you would like to receive the payment and verify your signature.


Child Support Guides by State

Each state has its rules and regulations when it comes to settling and implementing child support. This can be somehow confusing and also frustrating. If you or someone you know needs assistance, below is a guide from DoNotPay for every state in the US:

South CarolinaKansasNorth Dakota
Rhode IslandNebraskaMississippi
New MexicoOhioArkansas
New HampshireNevadaArizona
AlabamaKentuckyWest Virginia
Washington StateColoradoIndiana
CaliforniaNew YorkNew Jersey
FloridaNorth CarolinaWisconsin

How DoNotPay Can Simplify Your Life

Life as a single parent can be pretty overwhelming. DoNotPay is here to help you navigate the red tape and bureaucracy that makes even basic tasks so aggravating. We can help you with dozens of things, like hassle-free divorce papers,  grants to pay household bills, and more. DoNotPay can even find ways to lower your property tax bills. Browse our website to learn more about all we do for you.

Want your issue solved now?