Can You Get Compensated for a NIPSCO Power Outage?
Do you have a plan in place in case there's a long If you live in Michigan, you're already used to extreme weather. You have extra flashlights and plenty of batteries on hand, backup heat, and hopefully a way to cool off when the power goes out in the heat of summer.
But what happens when the power outage lasts for more than a few hours, and you don't have the means to power your refrigerator, freezer, medical equipment (like CPAP machines), and your business? Short of having 12,000-watt whole-home propane generators, there isn't much you can do to prepare for the losses possible during an extended power outage.
And yes. You CAN get compensated for damages incurred during a NIPSCO power outage, no matter its duration.
The DIY Way: File a NIPSCO Power Outage Compensation Claim on Your Own
The best strategy for filing a claim for damages is to carefully document your losses and the steps you take to recover the costs caused by the blackout. This is particularly important to business owners, who often have to shut down for the day because their internet, registers, computers, security systems, and safety lighting won't work. According to the CDC, residential customers and restaurants will start to:
|4 hours||Lose perishables in the refrigerator|
|24 Hours||Half-full freezer|
|2 days||Full ref and freezer|
That's a lot of money at risk. And it becomes even more expensive if you, your loved ones, your employees, or your customers are injured in a NIPSCO power outage. Here's how you'll go about making the best case for yourself:
Phase One: Monitor the Power Outage Status
When you can show you're keeping tabs on the outage, not only will you have useful information for your own planning, but you'll demonstrate that you're paying attention to how NIPSCO handles the emergency.
- Navigate to the NIPSCO power outage map
- Click on any icons that are near or at your location.
- Take note of the stats on the pop-up, which should include:
- ZIP code
- Number of addresses affected
- Cause of the outage
- Repair status
- Estimated time of power restoration
Phase Two: Gather the Information You'll Need to File a Claim
The best time to start documenting your "evidence" is the moment the lights go out. Vague, unprofessionally-submitted claims almost never get taken seriously.
- The time the power went out at your home or business, and the time it was restored.
- Receipts for food or perishable medications lost in the outage. If you don't have receipts, write down each item as you throw it away.
- Sales receipts for dates comparable to those affected by the outage.
- Pay stubs for you or your employees.
- Your daily or hourly fee if you're an independent contractor. Describe the duties you had scheduled during the outage.
- Any damage to your property (including electronics) during the outage.
- Whether you use surge protectors on your electronics, and the brand names of each.
- What family members or pets depend on electricity-powered equipment for their health and how they were impacted.
- Itemized medical receipts for injuries or illnesses incurred during the NIPSCO power outage.
- Photographs of any property damage or injuries.
Organize these documents and summarize them in a cover letter that requests a specific amount to cover your losses. Be firm but professional, and remember that you pay a premium for electric power, and it's your right to file a claim.
Phase Three: Find the Right Contact Person
Whenever possible, send your claim to the person in charge of handling damage claims. They're not always easy to find, but this is a good way to start:
Call 1-800-464-7726 (Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Central.
Ask the customer service representative for the following information:
- The name of the department that handles customer property damage claims.
- The name of the supervisor of that department.
- That supervisor's direct phone line, e-mail address, and mailing address.
Be patient; you're likely to remain on hold for a while, and there's a good chance the customer service representative won't be able (or allowed) to give you the correct contact information.
Phase Four: Send in Your Claim
We recommend you send your claim via USPS First Class mail with either a return receipt or delivery confirmation (or both). You can always upgrade to Priority Mail.
If you were unable to get the name or department of the claims supervisor, send your claim to:
801 E. 86th Avenue
Merrillville, IN 46410
Write at the bottom center of the envelope "ATTN: CUSTOMER CLAIMS" and highlight it. Be sure to follow up within two weeks, and every week after that to make sure the claim made it to the right person. It may be four to six weeks before your claim is processed.
The Easy Way: Get a Refund, Credit, or Reimbursement with the Help of DoNotPay
If you want to get compensation for a NIPSCO outage but everything you've read so far has you feeling it's a lot more than you'd like to deal with yourself, DoNotPay has you covered in 9 easy steps:
- Go to the Outage Refunds product on DoNotPay.
- Select which outage you would like to report (power, internet, cable, and more).
- Select your energy provider and enter your account number.
- Indicate when the outage started and how long it lasted.
- Verify your account information.
- If you want to be reimbursed for losses related to a power outage, choose whether you want to be reimbursed for personal injuries, damaged property, or both.
- Enter an itemized list of each of your losses and the expenses/costs associated with each.
- Upload documents or photographic evidence that proves your losses. Also, add the names of any witnesses who can attest to your losses if possible.
- Add your e-signature to verify that all the information is truthful and accurate.
And that's it! Sounds pretty straightforward, doesn't it?
Does DoNotPay Help With Other Types of Outages?
Yes. We'll file a claim for you with any power or internet service provider in the United States including these:
What Else DoNotPay Can Do For You
- Robocall compensation
- Neighbor complaints
- Jump the phone queue for any company
- Get help with bills
- File insurance claims
- File a customer complaint
- Appeal parking tickets in any city
Why Should You Use DoNotPay?
- Fast—We'll get your information and file your claim in just a few minutes.
- Easy—No need to sit on hold forever, or make a trip to the post office.
- Successful—We're like your "robot lawyers", and we're taken seriously. We can get your claim filed and processed with little to no paperwork.
Why not today?