All About New York’s Prisons And Jails
Finding an inmate in New York prisons, jails, and other correctional facilities aren't always easy. There are 52 correctional facilities throughout the State of New York, with more than 54,000 inmates housed. If someone you love has recently been arrested in New York or is currently serving time there, staying in touch is important. Contact with friends and family members on the outside gives prisoners hope. It also helps them avoid loneliness, anxiety, and depression. Prison pen pals give inmates a sense of normalcy, and efforts such as writing letters to inmates, scheduling visitation, and sending money or packages improve their quality of life.
DoNotPay makes it easy to find out which NY prison your friend or family member is being housed in. With the Connect With an Inmate product from DoNotPay, you won't have to search multiple databases to find prisoners, locate their registration numbers or housing assignments, or get contact information. You can also use DoNotPay to sidestep the hassle and stress of dealing with numerous third-party vendors when attempting to send care packages or receive phone calls.
New York Prison and Jail Contact Information
Inmates in the State of New York can be housed at:
- State Prisons
- Federal Prisons in the State of New York
- County Jails
- City Jails
- And other correctional facilities
New York State Prisons are maintained by the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (NYSDOCC). New York has four federal prisons and one federal prison camp. These are managed by the Bureau of Prisons (BOP).
If your loved one is being detained in a state prison in New York, the best way to contact the NYSDOCC with general inquiries is by using their online contact form.
|Mailing Address||Federal Bureau of Prisons
320 First Street, NW
Washington, DC 20534
|Phone Number||(202) 307-3198|
|Official Website||New York State Commission of Correction (NYSCOC)|
How to Contact Inmates in NY Prisons and Jails
All NY prisons and jails have their own requirements for scheduling visitation and addressing letters to inmates. If you want to write your loved one in a NY prison, you will need to:
- Put their first and last names on the envelope
- Write down their unique registration or inmate ID numbers
- Follow the protocols concerning what letters to inmates can and cannot include
- Make sure that you're sending letters to the inmate address rather than the general prison address
Most facilities have separate mailing addresses for contacting administrative personnel and writing letters to inmates.
No matter what facility your loved one is staying in, you cannot send:
- Polaroid photos
- Nude photos
- Letters from any other person (except a minor child)
Scheduling Visitation With an Inmate in a New York Prison or Jail
To schedule visitation with an inmate, you must first get on the approved visitor list for the facility at which the individual is being held. Whether your family member or friend is staying in a New York prison or a New York Jail, you should:
- Complete the visitor application
- Wait for visitation approval from the facility
- Check visiting days and hours
- Schedule a visiting time in advance
- Read up on the rules and requirements for visiting the facility
Most prisons and jails require visitors to wear modest clothing, carry limited amounts of personal items, avoid jewelry, and carry a modest amount of cash. Some facilities have specific limits on the exact amount of cash that you can bring. Others may require you to remove all jewelry, reduce the number of keys on your keyring, and take other steps to avoid bringing contraband into the facility. It is also important to know what the health and safety requirements are. At the federal, state, county, and city levels, NY prisons, and jails require visitors to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or to have recently taken a negative COVID test.
How to Send Money and Packages to New York Inmates
You can send money to NY inmates using approved, third-party vendors. You can find out which third parties handle wire transfers for individual facilities by visiting the website of its managing agent. This is also true for packages and phone services.
The Challenges of Finding Someone in a NY Prison or Jail
New York has numerous correctional facilities at the state, federal, and local levels. Moreover, there are several agencies that manage correctional facilities throughout New York. Locating a loved one on your own can be both frustrating and time-consuming. This is especially true if your friend or a family member has been recently booked in or recently transferred.
When it comes to making phone calls, sending letters, visiting, and adhering to health and safety protocols concerning COVID, you'll need facility-specific information. You'll also have to have the booking/inmate ID number of the individual you want to contact. Fortunately, getting all of these things is quick, easy, and hassle-free when you use DoNotPay.
Get in Touch With Your Loved One Using DoNotPay
The Connect With an Inmate product from DoNotPay is the perfect tool to use if you have a loved one incarcerated in the State of New York and want to establish contact and maintain it. With Connect With an Inmate, everything from writing letters to receiving calls is easier.
To contact a person in New York prisons jails or other correctional facilities, you'll need:
- Their full name
- Their booking number
- The name of the facility at which they're being held
- Their housing assignment
If you don't have some of these details, DoNotPay can help you find them.
DoNotPay Can Help You Locate Your Imprisoned Friend
Rather than searching the databases of the more than 50 correctional facilities throughout the state, hunting down the right third-party vendors for each facility or communication type, you can let DoNotPay find your loved one in just five simple steps:
- Locate the Connect With an Inmate service on DoNotPay.
- Choose whether you want to locate a loved one, create a virtual mailbox, or send a personalized letter.
- If you want us to find your loved one, provide his or her personal details and the state they are located in. We'll then conduct a search on the appropriate state database.
- If you want to create a virtual mailbox, just provide your full name! We'll set one up for you so you can easily receive incoming mail from your loved one.
- If sending a personalized letter, tell us which facility your loved one is located in and what you would like to say to them. You can even include a photo! Your letter will be delivered automatically - just wait 10 days for it to arrive to your loved one!
What Else Can DoNotPay Help With?
DoNotPay is both the world's first robot lawyer and the most trusted online legal aid and information source. You can use DoNotPay to successfully:
- Resolve problems with your credit cards
- Sign up for risk-free trials
- Protect your work against copyright infringement
- Stop spam texts
- Schedule DMV appointments
And even contest parking tickets. If you need help finding or contacting a loved one in a New York prison, sign up for DoNotPay today.